The Dark Mod Forums

Episode Iii

oDDity

Lucas has really lost it. This is definitely the worst Star Wars, even worse than Episode I. THe dialogue is so bad I got embarrassed for the actors every time they spoke, and the guy playing Anakin can't even act, whch made it worse.

The motivation for him turning to the dark side was pathetic. It's possibly he worst written character in literary history.

It seemed like a plot thrown together in a pathetic attempt to tie up the loose ends leading you to A New Hope, and was toally convoluted and forced as a result.

I'm not a 'the new Star Wars movies suck' guy either, Attack of the Clones was probably my favourite Star Wars.

I can't go into details about how shit it was because there are no spoiler tags on this forum, so I'll have to make do with 'It sucks'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the dialogues sucked - my favourite one :lol: :

(I've seen the german movie, so it may differ a bit)

Anakin: "You're so fair and beautiful"

Padme: "I'm so beautiful, because I love you"

Anakin: "No, you're so beautiful because I love you"

Padme: "Then you're blinded by love?"

But I think it was better than the Episode I and II...Ep. I was pretty boring imho.

I’m seeing it on Sunday. I and a few friends have a private box reserved.

It is so much better than sitting in a full theatre or among the scum as we call them. We always seem to have a girl on one side who repeats all the lines like she cant understand them and a guy behind us who starts using his mobile.

I have to book sat on my desk. I haven’t picked it up yet but I now what the plot is anyway so I don’t think there will be any big surprises, as long as the kids are called Luke and leia :)

Edited by Demigod

I'm going to see it fully expecting it to be shit. Episode I was ridiculous, with an 8-yr old boy saving the day. Episode II was even worse. They wrote it like a sitcom, with Obi-wan as the exasperated Dad. The scene with the five-year old kids all holding lightsabres (while standing less than two feet away from each other!) made me laugh out loud. And Annikan's reason for leaning towards the dark side? Teen angst. "He never lets me have any fun!" What a load of crap. I'm not even sure what form of twisted obligation is making me go to see this one at all.

No tags? you could type

SPOILARRRRRRRR

and then type it up.

I can't say I'm going go out of my way to see this POS. If it somehow accidently lands on my pc via some freak occurance of binary magic at some stage, I may give it the once over. But I haven't been particularly fussed on the series since I saw Phantom Menace some years ago. I was even less gratified when I had the misfortune of accidently stumbling onto teh cloney clones. What with the tacky ass love story, and tepid cgi. Seems to me that McLucas got all murdery on the Star Wars fan in me.

Surprisingly, the reviews I've read have placed it above the last two movies...somewhere in the league of "The Empire Strikes Back". I don't know about that however, it would have to be pretty damn good to equal Empire. I'm not even a Star Wars fan but I had hoped the last two movies would have been far better than they were. I really didn't like "A New Hope" and "Jedi" anyway...my image of what Star Wars should be is "Empire".

You're right, I can't summon up enough mental phlegm to read that.

:lol:

Malevolent humour is the last resort of the ignorant, I say.

I'm going to see it fully expecting it to be shit.

Then why go see it? Just because of the hype?

Then why go see it? Just because of the hype?

It's like knowing that a natural disaster hit the town where I grew up. I have a combination of morbid fascination with seeing the damage, as well as a need to know if anything survived.

I watch the first two, now, for the special effects. Its quite amazing how bad some of it is, the composting of the digital images is terrible in some shots, cant those people see when the lighting is wrong, you do not light an object to be shown outside in white or yellow light! Sun light is blue believe it or not (on film).

The second is allot better for that, but still has some very bad joins, Im hoping the third is better.

Still all three have some very good ideas in how they were put together and I like working out how some things were done

I watched it as a slideshow of CGI scenes, just eye candy, nothing more. It was fairly good eye canding, though a lot of the sabre dueling ended up looking pretty stupid.

Yeah, I just wish Lucas could relinquish the death grip he likes to hold on the script and let someone with feelings flesh it out. The dialogue is just so flat...I really couldn't have cared less about the characters.

Just saw it last night in a friend's theatre (he downloads them, so thankfully, no $9 of mine went toward it) and it was possibly the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. I am not one of those people that usually calls people down on acting, and am probably too forgiving (or even naive) in that area - but in EpIII, it simply cannot be missed or ignored. And did anyone count the number of pointless, go-nowhere, serve-no-purpose scenes? Lucas is nothing more than a completely untalented hack that got lucky and somehow came up with a mere thread of a story that some otherwise bored(?) people became interested in - then he sold it out and was forced to expand on it (unbelievably poorly) so it would support him for life. And he succeeded. Figure that one out.

To quote the theatre owner, "I can't say enough bad things about that."

Think of how cool SW could have been, if the writer/director had any talent at all, and wasn't so concerned with selling it to children. What a waste of time - I could have been watching the new Jet Li.

I actually thought Obi-Wan was a pretty awful actor, too, although both Anakin and Obi-Wan did have some good moments, I felt the majority of their effort was utterly atrocious. There are also a few logic holes, such as why Anakin/Obi-Wan didn't just force push each other into the lava...

On the other hand, Darth Sidious was a better actor... As were the wookies, however.

By the way, was it me or was one of the 'from space' shots an image of Jupiter? I thought I saw a great red spot half cropped at the bottom of the picture..

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

Episode I was ridiculous, with an 8-yr old boy saving the day.

I kinda liked this in that we learn Darth Vader was particularly special from a very early age.

The scene with the five-year old kids all holding lightsabres (while standing less than two feet away from each other!) made me laugh out loud.

I also kinda liked this. Similar to the above, it makes us understand just how unique Jedi are from the rest of the galaxy/universe.

And Annikan's reason for leaning towards the dark side?  Teen angst.

Yeah, I didn't really care for this.

I've seen Ep:III twice now. I appreciated it more the second time around and didn't focus so much on the poor dialogue/acting this 2nd time.

ROFL, so if you dind't focus on the pathetic dialogue or acting, what did you focus on? THe SFX? I didn't veen think they were that impressive either. Some of the chatacter animation was poor quality as well - enough for me to notice it.

I'd love to have seem what Spielberg would have made of these lastest three movies if he'd been given creative control as well as directing, but Lucas is just to much of a control freak when it comes to his ickle baby Star Wars.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah, I agree oDD. Without good acting and dialogue, there isn't a hell of a lot to appreciate in this movie. If Lucas thinks that chopping off Darth Vaders legs and burning him alive equal a dark, moving story...then he's really out of touch. I found it visually disturbing but in a rather sick and desperate way. I really didn't give a crap about Annakins trip to the dark side. It was all so damned shallow.

From reading the start of the book I cant say that that seems much better. However some of the books set after epvi are alot better. I like Zahn's ones especialy.

Its funny when you think the best startwars film Epmire, had the least lucas dialog (apparently a lot of improv), and less direction by him than the others. Irvin Kershner made it a really good film.

Edit: I think when I see it tommorow Ill turn off my brain before I go in and just try to enjoy it. Like I do with most films to be honest. :lol:

Edited by Demigod

I actually thought Obi-Wan was a pretty awful actor, too, although both Anakin and Obi-Wan did have some good moments, I felt the majority of their effort was utterly atrocious.

I wouldn't necessarily blame the actors for the shitty writing. Ewan McGregor has demonstrated the ability to act in other films, IMO, and I thought even Natalie Portman did an okay job in Garden State, but here she was back to just crying a lot. I have to applaud them for managing to keep a straight face when they had to say that shit. :)

I kind've agree with you on the Anakin actor tho. He didn't really display more than a few expressions. I loved the technique of "lets just put a tear droplet in his eye to show that he's crying, while displaying the exact same expression he has for the rest of the movie."

Edited by Ishtvan

ROFL, so if you dind't focus on the pathetic dialogue or acting, what did you focus on? THe SFX?

Heh. Well, the visuals and the story, as a whole. I was also closer to the screen the 2nd time and the volume was louder -- so I was more wrapped up in the experience of it all. I agree that the SFX were quite lacking throughout, especially light saber sequences. I wonder if they got a new SFX guy, or something.

It's a shame Lucas doesn't let go of some of his control on Star Wars writing, etc.

LOL - I heard Spielberg and whoever else had a finalized script or something for a new installment of Indiana Jones, but Lucas (not sure how or why he's involved) thought it needed more work, so back to the drawing boards. If Lucas ruins that script, good grief...

So how would people rate each fil out of five? 1 = lowest 5 - highest

for me

Being compleatly subjective

ep1 = 1 - cut jar jar and anikin out and it would be so bad but you wouldnt have a film :)

ep 2 =3 average. Has some good cg and Ewan is good and I like Sam Jackson

ep 3= havnt seen yet

ep 4 3 average

ep 5 1 - best of the series

ep 6 3 1/2 to 4 has some good bits but the ewok,s though done in such a way that I dont want to be sick are still stupid

I just finished watching 1,2,4,5,6 so my brain is now numb enough to watch 3 tommorow :lol:

Edited by Demigod