The Dark Mod Forums

Episode Iii

oDDity

I'm really not a Star Wars fan, but I do like lightsaber fights and there were plenty in this one. B) The acting did suck though.

I thought the part where Anakin pulled his lightsaber out on the little ones was pretty funny! :lol:

I dont fear the dark...the dark fears me!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked it if only for the fact that I enjoyed watching Palpatine (Sidous) wipe the floor with Yoda and Mace... Other than that it was a bit of a SFX slideshow without substance... Good ol' George never was much of a writer... Watching Starwars is like watching daytime soap operas or WWF wrestling: entertaining as long as your expectations aren't very high (and your cerebellum is disengaged from the rest of your brain).

dear oddity and darkmodders

actually i have read this forum before going to movie.

I hated last two movies. Very bad writing, very bad acting.. And i was hoping from this movie a total failure.

BUT

it s not a failure. YES there are serious acting incompleteness, very amatuerish dialogues but come on. .this movie is good. Seriously good.

Special Effects ...They have everything... beatiful cityscapes, very long beginning shot of space fight scene, very good character animation..and LAVA... man it was total satisfaction for me. I mean what you want more i dont get it... Beautiful space shuttles very good fighting scenes.

I mean this movie is not a Fincher movie, not a proyas movie, not a Kubrick movie. We are not redefining the science fiction or human intellect.. You CANT expect their movie directing quality from Lucas. But in Lucas world it was very nice executed.

The weird stuff is Acting. I mean they are not stable. YOu can sometimes seeing a OK performance and the other sentences although coming from the same mouth, totally suck.

On the other hand i have respect Lucas in terms of endless devotion to Computer Graphics and bold steps in digital movie making. i worked in Hollywood, in couple of movies as a director's assistant, and i do know how we were praying after every shooting . How will the shot come up from the film lab..Are we gonna have a chance to fix it in post? what if it gets too dark..?When Lucas was giving support to digital vendors others were making fun with him. He at least just for this deserves respect. Not may be as a extremely talented director but as a great filmmaker who seeks for better technology.

Lucas is not stopping changing the narrow minded hollywood traditions. Yes he is sometimes over romantic( you cant blame him for that) , sometimes he is even childish. But he is forcing his crew to discover unknown oceans of digital film making...I really like his expressions in each shot. Especially when the last fight scene starts Lava erupts at the background and there is a beautiful tune in orchestra. I mean i enjoy this kind of editing tricks ...It s a style. YOu can hate it or love it. But the visual compositions are truely breathtaking.

Color correction for a digital movie just amazing. ANd i really love the final battle scene. Obi and anakin fighting on a sinking construction everywhere is burning with hellish colors and they are visible with their colorful lightsabers. I mean for me this is just so lovely to see. That long shot is still in my eyes..

In last two movies digital keying was very visible. This time it s really blended. And in the shot when Obi wan riding that awful sounded creature, 3d matching concepts redefined. THis is my opinion.( i have seen so many blurry 3d matchings, cheated 3d matchings).

sure I will get DVD when it s out. I will watch every effect scene again and again. There are so many details, so many tiny figures moving doing something..... (but those lightnings coming from hands were awful...i would have make it better in After effects:))

And in some way Lucas connected everything. It s a complete circle right now. Im not a StarWars maniac . i have my miserable life and im trying to fill it with good images. And this movie really added lovely images to my memory.... But you know me. Im a positive guy.

best

Edited by TYROT

I'm glad someone else appreciates the visual aspects of Lucas' works. Stunning digital landscapes in these latest three. Just think about it -- we're making a video game and surely you can see how much work they must put into their highly-detailed digital sets and designs! How hard are you working just to try and pull off a room with a couple doors, real lighting, hardwood floors and a few things animating? Look at how much action is going on in Lucas' films! Most of the time your mind doesn't even realize they're created on computers. Nothing short of amazing, if you think about it. Next time I watch it, I will pay more attention to the musical score. Every time I watch it, I will be able to focus on something new (besides the dialogue/acting) because there is so much going on that I can appreciate.

SFX? Who cares. I don't want to just LOOK at a movie, I want to hear it and feel it as well. THe fact is that this is an opportuinty wasted. THere are so many writers and directors who could have made these GREAT movies, but Lucas chose to do it all himself.

Edited by oDDity

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear oddity

You are right ..yes ..in starwars world they could have crafted so much better storyline, twists etc. BUt this is not aim of Lucas i believe.

Think He is rich, (he was rich before movie making) he has his own sound system (thx) he has his own special effect house, and he has his own digital camcorders (spesifically designed for him) .. I mean he established this industry in some level.

And when you model a character you are modelling from your own mind and living and even hating style (which i like most:)) but i CANT judge your creations. This is how you see the life .

Also im feeling so lucky whenever you release a model in Dark Mod everytime you are redefining "modelling". It s so good to see and follow your path. Because you are different. Your style is making you unique. I m not saying your way of modelling is the ONLY way of modelling. No but i Like your modelling way.

ALso Lucas has his OWN filmmaking skills. Noone is saying he is master of writing or inventor of twisted climaxes. Noone shouldnt expect this qualities (actually his first movie was pretty rock on). And forgive me WHo the hell are we and saying ? he couldnt have done better. No .this is his art. He created this form of filmmaking. We have only two choices "like it" or "dont like it". That should be the way of watching movie. You are visiting a person mind's room. In that room there are MANY MANY thoughts( film ratings, budgets, agreements with the publishing company, potential target audience response, pleasing the hardcore fans and also add new bees to the storyline..) And it s pretty hard to Please everyone with just ONE movie. But from the reactions, boxoffice numbers he almost accomplished one impossible task.

(and one personal note.."do it all by oneself" is a sickness that im suffering as well :)

BEST

Edited by TYROT

Exactly TYROT, so it all comes down to personal taste.

For the sake of argument, let's call those who liked the movie 'tasteless', and those who hated it 'tasteful' )

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

dear odd:)

you are a hopeless case:) but i like you like this. Dont change:) for anyone...

And there are so many things to hate...hating a movie?..Come on... it s nothing.. .hating a game can be..Because you are spending hours, and if the game bad executed it s making you suffer while you playing it..

. But "hating" a movie..... oh man... 2 hours of view.... Ahh wish i could hate just like you do...but hey....TEACH me Hating .. Teach me how to hate..

how do you expect "something" from a movie...How does it fail you..How do you feel yourself BAD because of a Movie released for everyone... I mean there are riddles in human mind i HAVE to know before dying...Why im just watching a movie and thinking about to hard work of artists and respect their devotion... How can i oversee things which is so certain ? Please teach me...to hate... Be my master. Do i have a hope ..ok i hate some games in some terms... Is it enough Or should i watch Fight Club over and over again till i Hate everything....

BEST

(i can change i can changeeeeeeeeeeee.....)

WHat I actually hate, is not the movie itself, but all of the ridiculous hype surrounding it, generated by the massive amounts of money they spend on adveritsing.

There are so many well crafted movies out there deserving of public recognition, but becasue they haven't a gazzillion dollars to spend on marketing, most people don't notice them.

That's the tragedy of the system.

- Emil Zola

character models site

WHat I actually hate, is not the movie itself, but all of the ridiculous hype surrounding it, generated by the massive amounts of money they spend on adveritsing.

There are so many well crafted movies out there deserving of public recognition, but becasue they haven't a gazzillion dollars to spend on marketing, most people don't notice them.

That's the tragedy of the system.

Exactly! Lucas didn't even need to release the bloody film. He had recouped his entire budget with the marketing revenue before it even hit the screens. Whatever it makes now is pure profit no doubt. He could have given it away for free, now THAT would have been a bold move. LOL

I can't see this really being the last Star Wars movie. There's just too much latent revenue in it to keep it down for long.

I don't mind either, I like the general ideas behind Star Wars, and I give Lucas credit where it's due, but for God's sake get someone with talent to make the next ones and take a back seat.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I can't see this really being the last Star Wars movie. There's just too much latent revenue in it to keep it down for long.

I guess it takes the same path as ll successfull movies, music, games, etc.. If it is successfull it is turned into a cashcow and to make sure it continues as it is without innovations.

Gerhard

WHat I actually hate, is not the movie itself, but all of the ridiculous hype surrounding it, generated by the massive amounts of money they spend on adveritsing...  That's the tragedy of the system.

Businesses go into business to make money. Fortunately, the millions they spent translated into an $8 ticket I had to buy, which entertained me for a couple hours. So you're just upset they make money? In the end, you think they're too self-centered?

Employees work for businesses to make money. Hmm, so as an employee, am I any different than a business? Makes me wonder.

Regardless, I feel Episodes 1 thru 3 would've had mega amounts of hype and ticket sales, whether or not they did much of any advertising.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Companies have a choice when they decide how to advertise, how much to spend on advertising, etc.

LucasArts obviously chose to start this massive advertising campaign to build up "share of mind" in order to shove a crap movie down everyone's throats. Their hope was that, no matter how bad the work of art, if they hyped it so much that individuals believed that everyone else is going to see it and will be talking about it, and their kids have to see it, and they have to go see it or they'll be the odd one out, those individuals will still pay to see the movie even though they suspect it will be crap. In this case, I would say it worked.

They could have spent the money they spent on advertising on say, having more test-screenings and actually going back to revise stuff that the audience didn't like about the film. Or having assistant directors on hand who would actually say "okay that delivery sucked, we have to take that again" instead of the bunch of snivelling yes-men that they must have had. :)

So while it is within the norm of corporate practice to spend a lot on brute force advertising to try to get people to buy their crappy product, it doesn't speak too well for the quality when the product is also supposedly a work of art like a film.

Compare this strategy to a film like Memento. That wasn't hyped at all until people actually saw it and liked it. I would bet a lot of people have seen it now, so the film built up share of mind on its own merit rather than because kids could collect 6 Memento cups at Burger King.

Businesses go into business to make money. Fortunately, the millions they spent translated into an $8 ticket I had to buy, which entertained me for a couple hours. So you're just upset they make money? In the end, you think they're too self-centered?

Employees work for businesses to make money. Hmm, so as an employee, am I any different than a business? Makes me wonder.

I don't grudge people making money when they deserve it, but Lucas deserves nothing for this but contempt.

THis is no better than a cowboy builder doing a shoddy job your house, charging what a good builder would have cost to do the job right, and getting away with it.

- Emil Zola

character models site

...they have to go see it or they'll be the odd one out, those individuals will still pay to see the movie even though they suspect it will be crap.

So you blame Lucas for taking advantage of mindless drones? You should be more upset, or maybe feel sorry for, all the people who apparently can't make decisions on their own and who give into peer pressure.

For the many who don't like the film, there are just as many (if not more) who enjoyed it. So it hasn't been a waste of everyone's time and money.

Lucas is creative and wanted to do it his own way. And because of his wealth, he can. Although you and I may agree that the dialogue and acting is stiff at times, I give him credit in that if he is happy with the outcome, then I am happy for him. Sometimes creative people need to do things for themselves and not for others.

I may draw a 'breath potion' for the Dark Mod and like it. It makes me feel more complete when I do artwork. You may not like my artwork so much. If I was head of my own company and had the $$ of Lucas, and was as successful, you don't think I'd give special consideration to my artwork if I was on a mission to make my creative life complete? I'd be sad that some people didn't like my creations, yes. But if, as an artist, I needed to do it... I would likely do it.

U2's latest album left the band creatively fulfilled and happy. They had no idea how the world would take it, but they didn't care because they felt they just needed to do it... as artists.

I'd be curious to find out if Lucas spent an unprecedented amount of $ on advertising for the first Star Wars film (Episode IV), considering people were camping out in front of theaters even back then.

Star Wars is and always has been a juggernaut. Other movies don't see such juggernautedness and they spend lots on advertising. It's mostly the world Lucas created that causes this. And I'm a happier consumer since I have access to SW memorabelia; not because it's shoved down my throat.

Most consumers can make their own decisions. The ones who can't, again, I feel those are the ones for which you should be more upset at or feel sorry.

dear fellas

Lucas was a rich guy when he started filmmaking. He is still rich and he will be richer..

Im happy for him. His wealth is different than Fincher's, Proyas' or any other filmmaker or director..

HE is somehow using the MONEY for pushing the limits for digital filmmaking. SO if you ask me he is SO much respectful than any other filmmaker who gets millions of dollars from one movie and wasting that money in orgy parties, or stupid fashion craps or drugs

He is inventing Filmmaking concepts. So his tools will open new oppurtunities for me , for you, for young filmmakers. Cuz He is using prototypes, testing them, taking ridilicious risks for introducing them. They were mocking with him years ago when he talks about digital movie making... .3 years later that camera will get cheaper and i will buy it. And i will shoot something and i will not deal with the keying process that much.

best