The Dark Mod Forums

Playing in-game Videos

STRUNK

An other example of what can be done with thes transparent video screens. It doesn't like skyboxes though (see end of video).

STRUNK-2020-03-31-02-02-50.jpg

video

A loop of the owl, shoud be downloadable here: Owl Loop

Otherwise here: OwlLoop

Attached the .mtr file I use. Just put it in your materials folder and make a video folder and put a video named video.mp4 in there. Then make a 16:9 patch and give it the video texture.

videoscreentransparent.mtr

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 4

Wow I love the way you implement these video screens to make detailed animals appear in the game. This could add so much to the environment in future FMs. Great work!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

That is a nice trick to do ambient "AI" at the distance but needs to be used cleverly, because the illusion will break easy in anything that the player can get next to.  Also using real world animals or even people will look way out of place, but is very nice to do for example shadowing figures moving in the shadows or behind windows plus like STRUNK demonstrated, special effects, I used it before to do water caustics.   

• Like 2

@HMart

You are totally right. I can see that owl sitting somewhere in the distance, where you can't reach it indeed, but that goat, even if it's a 3d goat, I wouldn't put in a mission.

You can ofc record a scene from your map with OBS and use that. About shadows; in the case of this transparent material: black is transparent.

29 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

@HMart

You are totally right. I can see that owl sitting somewhere in the distance, where you can't reach it indeed, but that goat, even if it's a 3d goat, I wouldn't put in a mission.

You can ofc record a scene from your map with OBS and use that. About shadows; in the case of this transparent material: black is transparent.

That's super-impressive. 

The audio doesn't play for me, so I'll add a separate speaker with standard owl sound.

Also, when the video patch is placed in front of the sky, the entire patch is transparent, so the sky shows through and the owl becomes a ghost. I'll have to see if there's a way to force the video to change its order and paint over the sky.

• Like 3

@grayman

I saw that it doesn't like the skybox, and put that in the edited Owl post also. If you find something to make this work, that would be very nice. Also I found that when no light is hitting the patch you see no image at al. Maybe that could also be fixed in the material file. I only fumbled around with it not really knowing what I was doing : )

As for the sound, I didn't expect it to play and forgot to remove it from the video. In @Geep 's wiki there should be a separate audio channel added also. https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Full-Screen_Video_Cutscenes

Edited by STRUNK
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, grayman said:

I'll have to see if there's a way to force the video to change its order and paint over the sky.

Good thing that 2.08 comes with the new drawSortOffset spawnarg to adjust the drawing priority of post-processed/transparent surfaces, without having to clone & edit the materials involved. The starting sort value for transparent materials is typically 100.

14 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Good thing that 2.08 comes with the new drawSortOffset spawnarg to adjust the drawing priority of post-processed/transparent surfaces, without having to clone & edit the materials involved. The starting sort value for transparent materials is typically 100.

Changing the video patch to a func_static and applying the "drawSortOffset/101" spawnarg didn't improve the situation. The video is still transparent, and is reduced to a ghost image when the sky is behind it.

13 minutes ago, grayman said:

Changing the video patch to a func_static and applying the "drawSortOffset/101" spawnarg didn't improve the situation. The video is still transparent, and is reduced to a ghost image when the sky is behind it.

Alright, how about doing it the old way with 'sort 101' in the material?

Just now, Dragofer said:

Alright, how about doing it the old way with 'sort 101' in the material?

Already tried that.

No joy.

I have it set up that neither the transparency nor the ghosting is apparent, so I have something that works for me.

Others might have difficulties, though, depending on how they try to use this.

I think these transparent videos are fine for "effects" usage, like electrical charges, which are transparent anyway, but transparency looks bad with video images that are supposed to be solid.

• Like 1

Also, with the owl video, when it's fitted 1x1 into the patch, there's a thin bright line along the top, which is solved by shifting the texture image up 2 units. This prolly then paints a thin bright line at the bottom of the patch, but if that can be hidden behind something, it's not a problem.

16 minutes ago, STRUNK said:

Woman standing in front of a window with a non-transparent video screen.

video

Very cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing dinner parties happening behind mansion windows, as well as a distant scene of ships sailing to and fro for dock maps.

• Like 3