The Dark Mod Forums

DarkMod on old laptop

vorob

So i found a a perfect retro gaming machine recently. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Xi 1546 with ATI X1800, 2Gb Ram and Core 2 Duo T5600. I'm on Windows Vista x32 and DarkMod isn't working for me. I've install latest version, launch non x64 exe and can do everything in menus, install St, Lucia and after long loading i'm getting generic Windows error that application was closed. Where is the dog buried?

Edited by vorob

According to this page,  it only has OpenGL 2.0 and 256/512 MB memory.

The 2.08 beta requires OpenGL 3.1. Earlier versions have less requirements.

It is quite likely that it does not support FBO and GLSL shaders. Try to set cvars r_useGLSL 0 and r_useFBO 0. These settings are no longer supported, so they'll probably be buggy.

Use 2.07, 2.06 or 2.05 version. Make sure to use all default settings (no antialiasing, stencil shadows, no soft shadows, etc.). Try some simpler map, e.g. Closemouthed Shadows. Enable logFile and look at game console.

And to get an older version of TDM:
Go to the download page of TDM moddb page.
Download and extract the packages to your tdm folder, accordingly in the order of the versions, to the version you want to use.
Start with "The Dark Mod 2.0 Standalone Full Installer" and  then download the update packages to the version you need:
"The Dark Mod 2.0-2.01 Update Package (Windows)", "The Dark Mod 2.01-2.02 Update Package (Windows)",
"The Dark Mod 2.02-2.03 Update Package (Windows)", etc.
Or downgrade the recent version on this laptop, using the TDM downgrader.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Hi,

I'm sorry that The Dark Mod doesn't work for you.

Try this setting: "set r_useFenceSync to 0"

And just in case, try all of this:

Edited by Anderson
Tweaking and troubleshooting.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

10 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Use 2.07, 2.06 or 2.05 version. Make sure to use all default settings (no antialiasing, stencil shadows, no soft shadows, etc.). Try some simpler map, e.g. Closemouthed Shadows. Enable logFile and look at game console.

6 hours ago, freyk said:

And to get an older version of TDM:
Go to the download page of TDM moddb page.
Download and extract the packages to your tdm folder, accordingly in the order of the versions, to the version you want to use.
Start with "The Dark Mod 2.0 Standalone Full Installer" and  "The Dark Mod 2.01-2.02 Update Package (Windows)",
"The Dark Mod 2.02-2.03 Update Package (Windows)", etc.
Or downgrade the recent version on this laptop, using the TDM downgrader.

I wish we had a simpler way to doownload older versions

Like a google drive archive or option in the installer

Well, you got the TDM-downgrader.
I hope that people can add this feature to  the updater too.
I can give it a try to add that feature in my TDM installer for windows.
(i already added some other features to this, earlier month. Like options to install OpenAL- and the visual c++ studio-libraries)

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

On 4/15/2020 at 9:23 PM, vorob said:

So i found a a perfect retro gaming machine recently ... DarkMod isn't working for me. I've install latest version,

I must be misunderstanding something. Why are you trying to play the latest version of an actively-developed game on a retro gaming PC? Why would you expect that to give you good results? Isn't the purpose of retro-computing to play games from the same time period as the retro PC (e.g. building an ultimate Voodoo 3D gaming rig from 1998 to play Thief 2)?

5 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I must be misunderstanding something. Why are you trying to play the latest version of an actively-developed game on a retro gaming PC? Why would you expect that to give you good results? Isn't the purpose of retro-computing to play games from the same time period as the retro PC (e.g. building an ultimate Voodoo 3D gaming rig from 1998 to play Thief 2)?

2.07 is supposed to support DX9 hardware

X1800 is in the grey zone though - ATI couldn't be bothered with releasing an OpenGL 2.1 driver for it and we (TDM) didn't care about 2.0/2.1 compatibility

In our defense, we don't have any DX9 hardware to test on

And then, TDM does not offer an easy or obvious way for installing a previous version. If it was that simple, we would have just offered OP to click that button and be done with it.

Expect a lot more threads like this when 2.08 rolls out.

7 hours ago, duzenko said:

And then, TDM does not offer an easy or obvious way for installing a previous version. If it was that simple, we would have just offered OP to click that button and be done with it.

At this moment i'm working on a new feature of the tdm installer for windows, that does right that.
I only need to know the locations where i can download the old packages.
Going to test if i can download the files from moddb. (but a more static mirror location, would be nice)

getversion.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

7 hours ago, freyk said:

At this moment i'm working on a new feature of the tdm installer for windows, that does right that.
I only need to know the locations where i can download the old packages.
Going to test if i can download the files from moddb. (but a more static mirror location, would be nice)

getversion.jpg

It would be very, very cool

But if we had static links to full version package in a single file, that would be kinda enough too.

I found some full versions on moddb, but they are huge for small hosters.
(version 2.0 and 2.0.7)
But if people host those differential updates, i think that it take a smaller size.
If there other hosters hosting those files, please let me know.

I succeeded to follow links to direct links to one moddb dbolical mirror servers, downloading and unpacking the files.
Added links for 2.0 full and 2.01 dif and hope those direct links are not temporary.
Updated the sourcecode on my github repo.

-edit-
Yes, those direct links to dbolical mirror servers are temporary.
So i have to find  other mirrors (without temporary links).

1.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 2

Amnesty for Bikerdude!