The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.8.0 released

DarkRadiant 2.8.0 is ready for download.

Next to a considerable number of bugfixes and improvements, a nice amount of new editing features made it into this build. There's a new way to select items by filter, it's possible to retain grouping information when copy-pasting between DarkRadiant sessions, a new "Select Parent Entities" command has been added, and more.

A new DarkRadiant User Guide is being worked on and available on the website https://www.darkradiant.net/userguide (also accessible through the About > User Guide menu option).

Windows and Mac Downloads are available on github: https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/releases/tag/2.8.0 and of course linked from the website https://www.darkradiant.net

Thanks go out to all who helped testing this release!

Please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • If you run into a crash, please record a crashdump: Crashdump Instructions
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

Changes since 2.7.0

• Feature: Selection by Filter
  • Feature: Preserve grouping information when copy-pasting between multiple open instances of DR
  • Feature: Add Portable Map Format storing map and additional data in one single file
  • Feature: Preserve grouping information in prefabs
  • Feature: Model chooser now lists .md3 models
  • Feature: The Dark Mod: Let DR look for either 32-bit or 64-bit TDM .exe's
  • Feature: The Dark Mod: Added ability to edit difficulty names
  • Feature: The Dark Mod: Add Move up/down buttons to Conversation Editor
  • Feature: Add type-to-search ability to AI vocal set and head chooser dialogs
  • Feature: Let DR remember the shader in ShaderClipboard after closing
  • Feature: Add option to show "Other Materials" in Texture Browser
  • Fixed: Edit Objectives dialog doesn't adjust its height when selecting a component
  • Fixed: DR can't find materials whose names start with table
  • Fixed: It's possible to delete the classname spawnarg through the context menu
  • Fixed: All spawnargs with the same value as the "name" spawnarg iterate when the entity is cloned
  • Fixed: Removing a Stim/Response entry can break the remaining entries
  • Fixed: Loading error caused by non-Latin character in filename
  • Fixed: Texture Tool: crashes on brush surfaces with texture scale 0
  • Fixed: Undo after thickening a cylinder cap along vertex normals causes crash
  • Fixed: Readable Editor Crash
  • Fixed: Python 3.8 does not get linked (Linux)
  • Fixed: ConnectNamespacedWalker Warning when cloning selection containing links and targets
  • Fixed: Show English difficulty names in the Difficulty Editor instead of the #strNNNNN IDs
  • Fixed: 'Reload models' reveals hidden models
  • Fixed: 'Show help' etc. checkboxes in entity inspector aren't remembered by DR
  • Fixed: 'Show help' tooltip text updates incorrectly
  • Fixed: Changing classname ties entity's visibility to 'Default' layer
  • Fixed: Resized Models lose their scale in auto-saved maps
  • Fixed: Autosaves don't save last camera angle & position
  • Fixed ToggleFullScreenCamera command for Embedded and RegularLeft layouts
  • Tweak: Removed/disabled close button from all dialogs
  • Tweak: Allow fixed Subdivisions to go higher than 32
  • Tweak: Targeting projected lights: let the line point to the light source instead of the light volume's midpoint
  • Tweak: Collapsing a folder in a treeview now collapses all child elements too

The list of changes can be found on the our bugtracker changelog.

Have fun mapping!

Thanks for the release;

I got an issue with the texture tool , we can't decrease the grid size like DarkRadiant 2.7.0.

Jp5mfFS.jpg

Seems working when you decrease the max grid size in 2.8.0 but it will not show you the exact grid in the texture tool.

Edited by IZaRTaX

In 2.8.0 a limit of maximum grid lines was introduced to fix a near-infinite loop - I guess that was a bit over-ambitious. Can you open an issue on the tracker and maybe add what dimensions / grid sizes you're using?

1 hour ago, greebo said:

In 2.8.0 a limit of maximum grid lines was introduced to fix a near-infinite loop - I guess that was a bit over-ambitious. Can you open an issue on the tracker and maybe add what dimensions / grid sizes you're using?

In this case I'm using 1 / 0.5 sometime 0.25 grid size but that doesn't matter I'm talking about the UV tool (Ctrl+Alt+T),

Edit: Ok I made a report thank you 👍

Edited by IZaRTaX

On 5/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, peter_spy said:

The old bug has resurfaced again, if loading the last map on startup option is checked, DR crashes. You have to delete the user.xml file to make it work again.

It's not crashing for me, tried a couple of maps. You got a crash dump for me, perhaps?

Ok, I was planning to include the fix for this in a short-term 2.8.1 bugfix release, so let me know. If it isn't reproducible, I think there's only one other issue to be fixed for this release - so I'm probably skip that, no need to do a new version just for one fix.

I just experienced an issue with creating an SEED entity. In the past, when creating a brush and converting it into an atdm:seed, it would get the SEED texture automatically.

When just trying to add seed entities to my test map, it kept the texture of the brush as it existed before becoming seed. In this case it was nodraw. This caused the seed not to spawn any entities it had targeted.

BTW, what is the path to the SEED texture? I ended up opening another map with seed already in it to get the texture shown in the textures tab.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Is this something that had been working before? I'm not aware of the specific entity setup, but if it was working before, please report it to the tracker, I'll look into it.

As far as the texture path is concerned, I think you can right-click the tile in the texture browser to seek it out in the media browser. Or you can pick it with MMB and then look at the shader clipboard info in the status bar.

17 hours ago, greebo said:

Is this something that had been working before? I'm not aware of the specific entity setup, but if it was working before, please report it to the tracker, I'll look into it.

As far as the texture path is concerned, I think you can right-click the tile in the texture browser to seek it out in the media browser. Or you can pick it with MMB and then look at the shader clipboard info in the status bar.

It was working before. When converting a brush to a seed entity it always automatically set the SEED texture. I'll post to tracker.

Thanks!

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I am having issues creating readables.  When I use a prefab and the readable editor it complains about XData info being contained in a PK4 that cant be found and asks to rename it. In game the GUI does not display and is blank then freezes my inventory when frobbed.

Here is the order of events: I had a bunch of good working readables, made with DR 2.6 months ago, upgraded to 2.8 last week and couldn't get new readables working. Downgraded back to 2.6 and got ONE MORE made and working but all others I try to create are janked. Same behavior when I tried using 2.8 again, and between TDM 2.07 and the 2.08beta(ver6) it is no different.

What extra info would be helpful to investigate? Thanks a ton.

Edit: Did a little more experimenting and backed up my xdata folder, deleted it from my mission folder, created a new one then tried to make a fresh readable entity from scratch and still to no avail. All the old readables still work just not the new one. In the new xdata file that was autogenerated in my new xdata folder, it has the text info for the new readable that will not work but none of the stuff for any of the old readables that DO still work. Curiouser and curiouser. What am I missing?

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

You're saying downgrading to DR 2.6 did not solve the issue? If that is the case, I guess it's something to do with the setup.

Can you see and edit the readables in DR fine? Anything in DR's console indicating that something is wrong with readables, xdata or similar?

Thanks for the reply greebo, it absolutely must be something with my setup, folder structure.

Dragofer and I kind of figured it out; I got a new readable made and displaying in game but it’s a different font than what the readable editor shows lol. 
I would deem it low priority it’s just something I’m doing wrong. I had to switch gears before it made my brain tickle in a bad way so I’ll revisit it in a day or so.

Thanks!

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

• greebo unpinned this topic