The Dark Mod Forums

Pull Request: C++14 check for CMake + fix for ThirdParty/devil

r.a.sattarov

Hello everyone! 🙂 I made 2 changes in the source code. Could you, please, take a look at this?

- CMake: Added check of compiler for support C++14 standard

CXX_STANDARD supported values are 98, 11, 14, 17 and 20.

Ref: https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/prop_tgt/CXX_STANDARD.html

- ThirdParty/devil: fix for MCST lcc compiler

LCC-Win32 and MCST lcc compilers define same identifier (LCC).
Have been added check of MCST Elbrus 2000 (e2k) architecture.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbrus_2000

Attached the patch with my changes.

C++14_check_for_CMake_+_fix_for_ThirdParty-devil.patch

• Like 1

Hello!

I never imagined I will meet anything Elbrus-related in person 🤩
I must admit I have more questions than I should 😁

Regarding the changes.
I like them being so compact, but I think I have problems with both of them.

The check for C++ standard is both unnecessary and incorrect.
The support for C++14 in Visual C++ compiler is not tied to -std=c++14 keyword (which is not supported, I guess). I think CMake added special keywords for C++ standard exactly for this reason: different compiler implement this setting differently. And according to documentation, CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED should already produce an error if C++14 is not supported. So I'd better not add an explicit check and more code.

By the way, does LCC support C++? And C++14 in particular?
Did you manage to build the engine in the end?

The situation with il.h is more complicated.
This header is merely a build artifact produced by conan.
So if this change is applied as is, it will persist until someone decides to rebuild DevIL and commits new artefacts. Which probably won't happen soon though.
Moreover, fixing this in DevIL repository also won't help, because DevIL has recently migrated from C to C++, which I personally won't like, so we stay on older version.
I had an idea of wiping DevIL out of TDM, but that won't be easy.

6 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The check for C++ standard is both unnecessary and incorrect.
The support for C++14 in Visual C++ compiler is not tied to -std=c++14 keyword (which is not supported, I guess). I think CMake added special keywords for C++ standard exactly for this reason: different compiler implement this setting differently. And according to documentation, CXX_STANDARD_REQUIRED should already produce an error if C++14 is not supported. So I'd better not add an explicit check and more code.

Understood. I did not know that such a check appeared in CMake 🙂

By the way, does LCC support C++? And C++14 in particular?

The current version of the MCST lcc compiler (version 1.24.10) fully supports C++03, C++11, C++14 standards and has experimental support of C++17. This compiler has a nominal compatibility with g++-7.3.0. The compiler (by default) has the -std=gnu++14 mode enabled (C++14 with gnu extensions). Also, it can compile with using of Intel Intrinsics 😉

Did you manage to build the engine in the end?

No, I was able to compile only at 88% 😅

After fixing in /ThirdParty/artefacts/devil/include/IL/il.h file, there was a problem with the /idlib/math/Simd.cpp file. It contains "#include <cpuid.h>" string. There is no such header file on e2k.

Can you modify this file, similar to how it is done in RBDOOM-3-BFG (and with adding "USE_INTRINSICS" option)?

Ref: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/blob/master/neo/idlib/math/Simd.cpp

RBDOOM-3-BFG compiles on e2k without problems (and runs very well).

7 hours ago, stgatilov said:

So if this change is applied as is, it will persist until someone decides to rebuild DevIL and commits new artefacts. Which probably won't happen soon though.

Yes, such a change in the source code would be very helpful for e2k.

Which GPU exactly it has? Which version of OpenGL it supports?

Do I understand it right that you have physical access to the machine, and in theory you can run the game (if everything is OK) ?

It is not the best time to spend time on this now due to ongoing beta for the new release. But maybe I could try to fix build myself, if it won't take too much time. Although I don't think any changes will get into trunk before 2.08 is out.

25 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Which GPU exactly it has? Which version of OpenGL it supports?

Do I understand it right that you have physical access to the machine, and in theory you can run the game (if everything is OK) ?

I have access to "Elbrus 801-PC". It comes with a AMD Radeon R5 230 graphics card (OpenGL 4.1). But various AMD Radeon graphics cards can be used (e.g. Radeon RX 580 with OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan).

Ref: http://www.ineum.ru/elbrus_801-pc_gen4

23 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

And by the way, do you try to compile it for x86 architecture or for Elbrus architecture?

I have successfully compiled RBDOOM-3-BFG for e2k architecture. And I have made some changes to the source code of the game to initially support this architecture.

Ref: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/pull/432

33 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

The Doom 3 code was pretty much tied to the specifics or x86 architecture, and I guess nobody had time to clean this up.

ARM64/Aarch64 architecture support has recently been added (for the Nvidia Jetson board).

Ref: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG/pull/473

Meanwhile, I have managed to build TDM for Linux/Elbrus platform.
We did not try to run it yet, but that is planned for the near future.

I'm attaching a full patch against current SVN.
I will not commit changes to ThirdParty/artefacts/ffmpeg/* and ThirdParty/artefacts/ogg/*, but will commit changes in ThirdParty/artefacts/devil/include/IL/il.h.
Also, keep in mind that ThirdParty/custom/openal/conanfile.py.original is a new file --- it has no function but to mark TDM-specific changes to original recipe.

Note that I did not do anything specific to Elbrus, only added missing checks for x86 architecture, and removed one weird check for LCC compiler.
Fixed some generic bugs (i.e. wrong filename case on Linux --- was already reported by someone).
Also, I extended third-party build system, now it is possible (although not very straightforward) to use it and build TDM for any architecture. I hope that guy with 64-bit PowerPC will also be pleased 😁

@duzenko, @cabalistic, I wonder what do you think about it.
Can I merge it to trunk? Should I merge it to release branch?

elbrus.patch

4 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Meanwhile, I have managed to build TDM for Linux/Elbrus platform.
We did not try to run it yet, but that is planned for the near future.

I'm attaching a full patch against current SVN.
I will not commit changes to ThirdParty/artefacts/ffmpeg/* and ThirdParty/artefacts/ogg/*, but will commit changes in ThirdParty/artefacts/devil/include/IL/il.h.
Also, keep in mind that ThirdParty/custom/openal/conanfile.py.original is a new file --- it has no function but to mark TDM-specific changes to original recipe.

Note that I did not do anything specific to Elbrus, only added missing checks for x86 architecture, and removed one weird check for LCC compiler.
Fixed some generic bugs (i.e. wrong filename case on Linux --- was already reported by someone).
Also, I extended third-party build system, now it is possible (although not very straightforward) to use it and build TDM for any architecture. I hope that guy with 64-bit PowerPC will also be pleased 😁

@duzenko, @cabalistic, I wonder what do you think about it.
Can I merge it to trunk? Should I merge it to release branch?

elbrus.patch 15.07 kB · 2 downloads

Sure, I'd love to see some performance benchmarks on that platform

Hopefully it could be a good stepping stone for potential ARM build (chromebooks, Raspberry Pi, hypothetical MacOS on ARM, etc)

The built binary seems to work as expected on Elbrus machine (with RX250 graphics).

The performance is pretty bad: on default settings it gives about 30 FPS on the start of The New Job.
We will look further what is the culprit, although I suspect it is the CPU/memory.

If you ask me, the platform runs pretty well overall, but is not a competitor to commodity x86 in terms of performance 😞
It's quite enough for office work, but games is another thing.

3 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The built binary seems to work as expected on Elbrus machine (with RX250 graphics).

The performance is pretty bad: on default settings it gives about 30 FPS on the start of The New Job.
We will look further what is the culprit, although I suspect it is the CPU/memory.

If you ask me, the platform runs pretty well overall, but is not a competitor to commodity x86 in terms of performance 😞
It's quite enough for office work, but games is another thing.

com_smp?

r_showsmp?

Any Linux cpu benchmark to compare?

5 hours ago, duzenko said:

com_smp?

Enabled.

r_showsmp?

Frontend.

Any Linux cpu benchmark to compare?

Hard to say. On some simple things like sorting/bin search/whatever it was 2-6 times slower than my Ryzen (single core).

The first run was with shadow maps. It seems that switching to stencil shadows improved performance a lot.

4 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Enabled.

Frontend.

Hard to say. On some simple things like sorting/bin search/whatever it was 2-6 times slower than my Ryzen (single core).

The first run was with shadow maps. It seems that switching to stencil shadows improved performance a lot.

Curious thing

What's the clock speed?

Any SIMD support?

6 minutes ago, duzenko said:

What's the clock speed?

1200 Mhz according to specs. If you can read Russian, there is a link in this thread.

Any SIMD support?

It is VLIW architecture by itself, and probably there is SIMD for some less-than-64bit types in addition to that.

Compiler supports Intel SSE intrinsics properly, although the result is not SSE instructions of course.
We are yet to see if these intrinsics do more harm than good.
In my experience, going from scalar code to intrinsics rarely improves performance. Speaking of TDM, com_forceGenericSimd seems to have no effect on performance (it runs with SSE2 SIMD by default).

9 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

1200 Mhz according to specs. If you can read Russian, there is a link in this thread.

It is VLIW architecture by itself, and probably there is SIMD for some less-than-64bit types in addition to that.

Compiler supports Intel SSE intrinsics properly, although the result is not SSE instructions of course.
We are yet to see if these intrinsics do more harm than good.
In my experience, going from scalar code to intrinsics rarely improves performance. Speaking of TDM, com_forceGenericSimd seems to have no effect on performance (it runs with SSE2 SIMD by default).

It says 250 gflops on 8 cores, or 30 Gflops per core 😕

Something's not right

You mean 10 GFlops lost to rounding? 😂

This is VLIW CPU, its instructions are statically grouped into "packs" or "runs", even pack/run gets executed in parallel (scheduling is static). To do so many computations you have to do many independent computations all the time. In the best case, only dgemm from BLAS3 achieves such performance. Ordinary programs leave most of the execution units unused due to instruction dependencies and mostly sequental code. It is like AMD vs NVIDIA: AMD GPUs are VLIW, they have insane peak performance, and miners love them, but NVIDIA GPUs work faster in games, although they are pretty useless for mining.

Aside from little instruction level parallelism, there is also memory bandwidth. Perhaps it is not very good on the test machine.

Anyway, I have committed the fixes to everywhere.
I'm afraid it won't help the guy with PowerPC, more thorough cleaning would be necessary for that.

• 8 months later...

As a matter of fact, TDM still builds well on Elbrus 2000 architecture with svn rev 9083 (which is very close to 2.09 release).

Here is how it can be done (requires conan 1.33 or later):

./ThirdParty/:   python 1_export_custom.py
./ThirdParty/:   conan install . --build -o platform_name=myelbrus
./           :   cmake -B build/linux64 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DTHIRDPARTY_PLATFORM_OVERRIDE=myelbrus

The first command puts the conan recipes which were customized by TDM team into the conan local cache.
The second command builds all the conan recipes to get third-party libs artefacts. Notice the "platform_name" argument.
The last command builds TDM. Aside from build directory and release configuration, notice the "THIRDPARTY_PLATFORM_OVERRIDE" macro matching "platform_name".

The process of building third-party libs for a non-typical platform like e2k is described in /trunk/ThirdParty/readme.md in section "Unsupported platform".

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...