The Dark Mod Forums

OMG Finally!!! (7Mbps to 1000Mbps internet)

AluminumHaste

Congrats! I know the feeling.. though I am on ADSL at the moment as well. I wish I lived on the countryside so I could get actual 100/1000 mbit fiber. Here in Sweden the more rural you are the better options you have for internet connection, go figure.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Just under a gig a second? Not bad. I'm in Japan, so my ping is always in the 100s of ms. I might make do with something like that someday.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Speaking of which, look at this news that came out today.

Researchers in Australia have achieved a world record internet speed of 44.2 terabits per second.

Can you imagine? If this becomes standardized everywhere someday, and thinking about what Unreal is going to be like in the next generation or so, it won't be long before there's not going to be any difference between the real and online worlds anymore, not even exaggerating.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

The big downside is that Google and others already have server farms which need several power plants, and, with such internet speeds, and the respective bandwidth, you can imagine how much power you'd need.

I doubt that I will experience such bandwidths in my life anyway. It's already nuts that you can get a gigabit connection as a home user. 

On 5/22/2020 at 7:39 AM, demagogue said:

Can you imagine? If this becomes standardized everywhere someday, and thinking about what Unreal is going to be like in the next generation or so, it won't be long before there's not going to be any difference between the real and online worlds anymore, not even exaggerating.

1 Gbps is going to become a stopping point for a long time because of legacy Ethernet equipment and cables, and because it's "good enough" for most, even in households with multiple UHD video streams at once. There could be a demand for multiple high resolution 360-degree VR video streams, but codecs will soften the blow.

100 Mbps will stick around as a budget option, since it's still good enough for many.

Above 1 Gbps, 10 Gbps is a possibility if you have deep pockets, but 2.5 Gbps might catch on more since it can be delivered over existing Cat 5e cables. That's a pretty good compromise... up to 500 Mbps each for 5 people at once.

Terabit/petabit/exabit connections are more relevant to universities, astronomers, data centers, ISPs, etc.

• Like 1

I'm sure you're right, but things that are expensive now get pushed lower in price over time.

I'm just tempted to imagine there will be a point in 10 or 20 years where so much information can flow so fast to consumers so cheaply that the infrastructure and applications will pretty readily pop up catering to it, and (true to The Singularity thinking) it's going to launch individual and social consciousness to mind-blowing levels up the asymptotic acceleration of change that make the internet revolution up to now and all the social effects we've seen seem positively primitive and quaint. I can imagine AR being integrated into daily life where there isn't any meaningful separation between the real and virtual worlds anymore. It's hard to think that's exaggerating when we look at things we have now from the perspective of 20 or 30 years ago.

Not if corporations have any say, if it was up to them we'd all be stuck on 20Mbps for 200$/month forever, with ever increasing fees and costs /GB.

As long as ex members of Telecoms can sit on Commissions to oversee internet infrastructure and the industry as a whole, we'll always get shafted.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

9 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Not if corporations have any say, if it was up to them we'd all be stuck on 20Mbps for 200$/month forever, with ever increasing fees and costs /GB.

As long as ex members of Telecoms can sit on Commissions to oversee internet infrastructure and the industry as a whole, we'll always get shafted.

IMO they want fast internet, specially for game streaming, if you don't need to install any game on your PC and you just stream a bunch of pictures, piracy will die forever (and modding and used sales, etc) and publishers for the first time in their history, will have full power over products and have customers hooked into their services, with no choice, they salivate over this stuff the only thing preventing this future, is physics, light speed is a bitch (but with good compression and small distances is feasible) and other equally powerful companies have interest that PC's stay as machines that you still need to upgrade, AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc, to say the most important to me, but there's many others.  

But I predict next consoles, seven to ten years in the future, will be streaming machines tho or a hybrid, why, very clever people is working on Google Stadia and everyday new advances are made, is not hard to imagine that in seven to ten years they solve the major problems.

That IMO will be the time where games like TDM will be very important for many people not wanting to become locked to a service.  

Edited by HMart

3 hours ago, HMart said:

IMO they want fast internet, specially for game streaming, if you don't need to install any game on your PC and you just stream a bunch of pictures, piracy will die forever (and modding and used sales, etc) and publishers for the first time in their history, will have full power over products [...]

No, piracy would not die. If there are pirates with enough skill who want to pirate it, they will. They will recreate the game or break into game-company-owned servers if they have to.
But pirating also already is a non-issue for the big companies. It still happens, but most gamers and non-gamers just buy their games in one of the well-integrated and easy-to-use stores (steam on PC, the manufacturers shop on consoles). Advances in DRM/antitamper tech (Denuvo) and the increased orientation towards multiplayer/massive-multiplayer probably did not even have a real impact here.
Most people just opt for the easy way, if they can afford it. While aquiring pirated releases is not hard at all, it always meant and still requires, that you know where and how to get a malware-free scene release without exposing yourself (not becoming an uploader or using a non-logging VPN provider). It has become easier to browse for and buy games in one of the better shop (the epic store still sucks).

And modding would not die too. Try to imagine Skyrim without mods. It is obvious, that not only the indie games will keep supporting mods. Now that consoles are powerful enough to handle them, Bethesda supports them on consoles too.
Bethesda already tried to go mmo and they saw that "it just works" not so well...
It is possible to add mod support to game streaming and i am sure (if they ever go the streaming route), Bethesda would do it to keep its unique selling point.

There is also an economic incentive to have your customers use their own hardware to play the game. Servers may become cheaper every day. But they are not free, while the customers' hardware is (from the game maker's point of view).
Game streaming is a convenience feature wich will be used to open new markets. There are potential players, wich don't play yet but already own a smartphone and internet-connected TV. Some of them might be willing to use a game streaming service regularly or even buy dedicated hardware if you manage to get them hooked...
It also is an obvious way to switch to a subscription model. But we already see people moaning about the explosion of video-on-demand providers each having their own set of exclusive content... It will be no different in the casual gaming market (wich is the biggest gaming market) when there are more than two streaming services.
Selling the game for a one-time fee seems to be the greedier choice anyway for studios shipping as soon as the updater works...

It brings up interesting things to think about. I think financial incentives will always be a factor, but I think our assumptions and expectations about which way they'll cut may become increasingly inaccurate over time, so 10 or 20 years from now one shouldn't be too sure.

It reminds me, there's a scene in the show Halt and Catch Fire, and the year was around 1985, when a dialup modem game service was switching to ethernet cables, which for the time for what they were doing was way ahead of the curve, and one of the characters was speculating about where the tech was heading, and later they bought up a private intranet grid.

Granted it's written from the perspective of knowing how the internet was going to play out and then backtracking to what people could have already expected from it from what they knew in 1985~88, so it had a bit more confidence than people could have really had at the time, but it's still an interesting scene and story arc because of what they could and couldn't predict 15-20 years into the future.  For some really nuanced points they already knew how it would probably play out then, and for some other really obvious stuff now, they would have been completely blind to just because there was nothing to give them any indication which way it would play out. That's how I tend to think about speculation on future tech culture now.

13 hours ago, HMart said:

IMO they want fast internet, specially for game streaming, if you don't need to install any game on your PC and you just stream a bunch of pictures, piracy will die forever (and modding and used sales, etc) and publishers for the first time in their history, will have full power over products and have customers hooked into their services, with no choice, they salivate over this stuff the only thing preventing this future, is physics, light speed is a bitch (but with good compression and small distances is feasible) and other equally powerful companies have interest that PC's stay as machines that you still need to upgrade, AMD, Intel, Nvidia, etc, to say the most important to me, but there's many others.  

I was specifically talking about Internet Service Providers.

Also the really nice thing is finding a server that can max my connection now.

On 7 Mbps ADSL, I had to wait 4 days to download GTAV, so with games like that that go free to try for a weekend were always hard passes for me.

Now, it's about 7 minutes to download 50GB's.....The difference is so staggering it's not actually plausible for a lot of people.