The Dark Mod Forums

Some Stuff To Look At

oDDity

dear oddity

My good God. Oddi you gonna make me a believer...Holy cow..!!

AMAZING breathtaking..so detailed...

HOW COME RAVEN or ID not hiring you? WHat the heck you doing in your Homeland...?

I really wanna open my window and scream....."DO YOU SEE THAT ....DO YOU SEE THAT...."

BEST

Will it be possible for us mappers to take away his hammers? I look at the prelate and think "mage". I need mages and other magic using people for my map...

Also, would it be possible to turn any character model into a "ghost"? Just a see through version of itself? I'm still new to Doom editing, and don't really know the capabilities of the engine and whatnot...

I just really want to use that guy as a mage :)

We will have a few mage models as well, though you can mix and match weapons however you like. I remember people saying it was probably possible to make semi-transparent ghosts, but I don't remember how.

It is, you just add 'translucent' to the shader (or something equally simple) but it doesn't look that good by itself (it looks like the T1/2 ghosts), we'll need to wirte a vertex program or something to make them glow as well, otr we were think ing of using the heat haze effct so you can barely see the ghost, just a kind of haze.

THe weapons are attached as separate objects, so you can take them away and add a staff or whatever.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• 1 month later...

It can be animated that way, either with bones, or there is a plugin for Maya now which will export vertex animation (by changing every vertex to a bone)

It's certainly a lot of extra animation work though. Whether it's worth the time and effort for every model hasn't been decided yet.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ah, in my opinion it's not something of much importance. I was under the impression that the fabric sway was something based on physics and not animations.

But anyways, those models look amazing like everyone has said. It's not that often that you get "retail" quality in a mod.

It can be based on physics using a cloth simulator plugin, but with low res game models cloth sim doesn't look too good, plus I'm still not sure what kind of a performace hit you'd get in doom from having thousands of bones per models.

- Emil Zola

character models site

In the end, you're not going to need much in the way of dynamic cloth - the only time it could be useful would be for ragdoll and such. Since everything else (?) will be in animations, as long as the cloth movement is in the animation, it'll look fine. That's unless you want to add wind effects and so on!

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

That's true. If you need a curtain to waft, just give it a wafty animation in the correct direction... Would actually be quite atmospheric if you pulled it off well. That said, wafty curtains in Splinter Cell were one of the grooviest pieces of eye candy ever...

--

Somethin' fishy's goin' on here... Come on out, you taffer!

~The Fishy Taffer

The curtains in Splinter Cell looked to me like they were done with rigid body physics and about 3 - 6 bones per curtain - a reasonably well done hack ... I don't know how expensive that sort of thing would be to do in the D3 engine, but you might be able to get a reasonably good approximation by making a curtain mesh of say 4 by 8 verteces, and giving it a U shaped link of bones... I haven't played around with this sort of thing much so I guess I might be on the wrong track, but I think it is worth playing around with if anyone has time, and if you use them sparingly inlocations where there is not much else going on, it might be worth it...