The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night Of Loot: One Man's Treasure (2020/06/13)

OGDA

Took a little while. Had to change my email for some reason to get back in. It's happened before that the server loses my password, but not my email. Contacted them awhile back, but I'm guessing the Corona thing, so now I created a whole new account. I'll get to admin when they answer. Now I got 2 accounts. I'm known as Acolyte6 here originally.

Anyway, I'll be happy to test your mission. Done it a few times :)

• Like 1

Congratulations on your first release! I really enjoyed testing and playing this one! Looking forward to where you take the story in the next one!

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

Just finished playing it, fantastic work!! There is a lot to love, such as the interior design and all the hard work you put into fleshing out each room and filling it will details. 11/10 would go antiquing again

that was fun! I want a place with so many hidden rooms...

in the 

Spoiler

basement

I was pretty sure the switch was 

Spoiler

a trap, because there was blood in front of it and the ceiling texture didn't line up.

After successfully exiting, I got the "can't leave yet" message just as the "mission complete" triggered.

Congratulations on your first release. It feels really good to finish a mission and get it out the door. Looks like you

had the right approach too. I'll play this bit later on tonight. Thanks

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Nice mission. Well made, beautifully decorated. I thought the guard carrying the light inside and outside was over the top. 
The clipping at the exist broke the 4th wall. There's no real reason for such aggressive clipping. If you want to stop the player
wandering into that courtyard, put a wall there, but an invisible wall really spoils it. The other thing I really disliked was
the over heavy lock picking. Every door in the place was locked, including an empty desk. 

On the whole though, a really nicely designed mission aside from what I mentioned above. and a first rate
effort for a first map. Well done and Congratulations. :) 

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

11 hours ago, NeonsStyle said:

Nice mission. Well made, beautifully decorated. I thought the guard carrying the light inside and outside was over the top. 
The clipping at the exist broke the 4th wall. There's no real reason for such aggressive clipping. If you want to stop the player
wandering into that courtyard, put a wall there, but an invisible wall really spoils it. The other thing I really disliked was
the over heavy lock picking. Every door in the place was locked, including an empty desk. 

On the whole though, a really nicely designed mission aside from what I mentioned above. and a first rate
effort for a first map. Well done and Congratulations. :) 

The invisible wall is unfortunately there because I couldn't get a bug fixed. I think it's ok as a minor annoyance, but will search what causes it.

For the lock picking: 3 locks were removed and 2 nerfed in beta, so it was much worse and it's an acceptable number now in my opinion. After all, we are thieves, it's our job. :D

Thank you for the praise! :)

• Like 1

First off echoing what others have already said fantastic interior design very tasteful and organic feeling placement of furnishings and such. The secret chambers were all very well integrated into the design of the building to the extent I was genuinely surprised by the fact I hadn't noticed the route to the basement earlier.

Spoiler

Never suspected that support pillar in the main display room was anything but just that. I also like the touch of putting pagan symbols next to each of the peep holes to explain why they aren't visible when looking at them from the other side. 

Completed in 54mins on master thief, stealth score of 4 and 6335 loot.

Secrets/Hidden Loot wise

Spoiler

1. Light Reading - Sceptre & coin bags in first room, accessed by switch hidden behind the cheese wheel lowest shelf on reception counter
2. Cleanliness is Next to Godliness - Drain the bathtub on the 1st Floor (2nd to my American friends) for gems
3. Out of Reach, Out of Mind - On top of the Wardrobe in the Master Bedroom 1st Floor
4. Sleep Tight - Behind the Pillow in the Master Bedroom 1st Floor
5. Emergency Funds - Under the hat in the Wardrobe of Master Bedroom 1st Floor
6. Something Behind You - Parkour along the wall edging on the staircase to access a valuable painting
7. An Old Favourite - Secret Switch on the Writing Desk in Rowanson's Office
8. In the Eves - Lockbox in the rafters of the attic

I have to ask, was that metal panel above the metal chest in the display room anything or just a bit of flavour design to explain how the staircase was prevented from catching alight?

Suggestions for improvements;

- Replace lantern guards with standard guards; the area's you have them both in are very well lit already, sometimes redundantly so with multiple environmental light sources for the player to contend with (candles on the well right next to an active lamp post for example)

- Consider the lock scaling; all items being locked at setting three seemed overkill. Spare change box as hard to get in to as a safe or display case for example.

- Opening dialogue could do with a bit of a punch up, sentence structure was at times awkward and required re-reading to get the gist of what was intended. Didn't quite hook me which is a shame as the actual mission was tight and polished to a high standard. I'd also recommend switiching to a different font for Mrs Rowanson's diary as that was very difficult to read but that's more a personal preference.

Other than those few niggles an excellent fan mission and look forward to what you do next.

I have to ask, was that metal panel above the metal chest in the display room anything or just a bit of flavour design to explain how the staircase was prevented from catching alight?

Spoiler

It's just there to make it believable why the building hasn't burned down with a torch burning under the wood ceiling.

Replace lantern guards with standard guards; the area's you have them both in are very well lit already, sometimes redundantly so with multiple environmental light sources for the player to contend with (candles on the well right next to an active lamp post for example)

Spoiler

The inside guard has a lamp to let the player know that someone is coming around the corner, so that the player doesn't concentrate on the maid and not realize a pathing ai is coming from the side.

Consider the lock scaling; all items being locked at setting three seemed overkill.

Yes, lesson learned. 😉

Opening dialogue could do with a bit of a punch up, sentence structure was at times awkward and required re-reading to get the gist of what was intended. Didn't quite hook me which is a shame as the actual mission was tight and polished to a high standard. I'd also recommend switiching to a different font for Mrs Rowanson's diary as that was very difficult to read but that's more a personal preference.

Yes, font selection is always a struggle. For some reason, half of them don't seem to work ingame, despite showing in dark radiant, so the selection is rather restricted. It seemed appropriate for a diary.

Congrats on your first mission - hats off! I'm just a humble admirer of the art & skills of people who construct (sculpt even!) FMs and let me say: I had a lot of fun with hidden loot in your mission. 🤩 Being a devoted thief love nosing around. <my preciousss>

And the atmosphere of the mission has been created very well - cosy house with the shinies on display and

a hidden bar "to let the highborn get hammered as peasants do" 

😅

I also chuckled while reading about

remodelling the statue to portray the nose of the wannabe blueblood one accordingly.

🤣

Please, do create more! 👍

Thank you for this experience! 😊

Edited by Mezla

I agree we are thieves, but most places lock up the outside doors, and most inner doors are not
locked. I felt it was more like a lock pick simulator lol... no offence.