The Dark Mod Forums

numberTimesPlayerSeen mission statistic problem?

joebarnin

The FM that I'm creating uses the getMissionStatistic() script function, to gather info about how stealthy the player has been at a certain point in the mission. While testing, I've seen some strange results. What I think I'm seeing is that various stealth counters don't get incremented if a non-combat civilian sees you. Specifically:

sys.getMissionStatistic("numberTimesPlayerSeen") 
sys.getMissionStatistic("sightingScore")
sys.getMissionStatistic("stealthScore")

do not increase if a civilian sees you and runs away.

I created a simple test map (attached). When it starts, the noblewoman has her back to you. Walk around so that she can see you - she will run to the flee point at the other end of the room. Now go frob the stone pillar - that will display various mission statistics. Note that numberTimesPlayerSeen, sightingScore, and stealthScore are all zero. 

Run the test again, and this time sneak up behind her and bump into her before she sees you. She'll flee again, and this time numberTimesPlayerSeen is 1 (and sightingScore and steathScore are 5). That seems appropriate.

Replace her with an armed guard, and he will immediately chase you, and numberTimesPlayerSeen is 1.

Are these results expected? I would think that if you went around being seen by civilians and making them panic and run away, those stealth statistics shouldn't remain at 0. 

test2.pk4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 7:08 AM, joebarnin said:

I created a simple test map (attached). When it starts, the noblewoman has her back to you. Walk around so that she can see you - she will run to the flee point at the other end of the room. Now go frob the stone pillar - that will display various mission statistics. Note that numberTimesPlayerSeen, sightingScore, and stealthScore are all zero.

I think this is the bug: the number should increase to 1.

The problem happens in idAI::PerformVisualScan:

if ( !canWalkToPlayer || ((m_LastSight - physicsObj.GetOrigin()).LengthFast()*s_DOOM_TO_METERS ) <= cv_ai_sight_combat_cutoff.GetFloat() )
        {
            SetEnemy(player);

// set flag that tells UpDateEnemyPosition() to NOT count this instance of player
            // visibility in the mission data
            m_ignorePlayer = true; // grayman #3063 - don't count this instance for mission statistics (defer until Combat state begins)
        }
        else // player is too far away, but AI will continue to move because he can walk to the player
        {
            newAlertLevel = thresh_5 - 0.1;
            alertInc = newAlertLevel - AI_AlertLevel;
        }

The flag m_ignorePlayer says to not increase the number right now. It is intended that it would be increased later, but it seems that for non-combat AI this "later" never happens.

I have created an issue 5286 for this.

• Like 1