The Dark Mod Forums
Kurshok

The Last of Us 2

6 minutes ago, Abusimplea said:

Obviously, violent games - and making that games - isn't for everyone. It never was and never will be. I don't see that as a problem.

Again, you say that as if this was a kind of constant, while it's not. You should be able to find 'making of' movies for classic Mortal Kombat games, they are as hilarious and ridiculous as the actual violence in the game. It differs vastly from what developers are asked for to complete their tasks today. This is an evolving phenomenon, and same thing applies to audience reactions. Higher fidelity and more aggressive violence result in more questions about meaningful context.

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

Higher fidelity and more aggressive violence result in more questions about meaningful context.

I would very well like a significant part of the mainstream to finally start considering thinking about asking for any meaningful context in games at all. But i really doubt, that will happen soon...

• Like 1

Well, this was depressing. I suppose good fiction is meant to evoke strong emotions and not necessarily good ones, but when I finished this last night it took a while to shake off the mood of futility. Worth playing but lots of frustration and slow slow scenes you're forced to plod through. That toy arrow game with Owen and the absurd guitar strum were crazy. Puzzles are ok when you know what you need to do and have to figure out how to do it, but so often I didn't, and finally I didn't care. I used 'skip puzzle' entirely after the first few.

The freedom of multi-choice open world games like Thief, Dark Mod, and Fallout 4 have spoilt me for this type of corridor game. It feels like acting scenes in a movie. You're allowed to ad lib a tiny amount (move left round a crate instead of right) but if you act out the scene wrong then the director shouts 'cut' and you have to perform another take over and over. In fact, as with the LOU1, I'd rather have watched it as an edited-down movie (I did download a full walkthrough video at the time but it failed to play on my system so I had to persist in the game to see how it panned out.)

Still, LOU2 must have something going for it or I wouldn't have kept going (despite abandoning it overnight at least twice and swearing never again!) It's kind of a must-play - though it feels like a gun at your head. Maybe it was just the £54 I paid and wanted my moneysworth. No, that's not fair, there are LOTS of good events in the claimed 30 hours of this game (I clocked 29 in the game saves but I played on the 'easiest' level (it's not - parts are REALLY hard except for hardcore enthusiasts maybe and I had to use a couple of walkthoughs for two combat scenes which seemed impossible and took 40 or 50 retakes before I got through.) Looking back at my start gamesave date it took me eight days of say two or three hours a day. Eh? That can't be right. It's definitely eight days and I reckon I must have played at least double the 29 hours of gamesaves. Call it 64 hours, that's 8 hours a day? Seems impossible. I know I played it a lot but... No, must be the fixed scenes take up so much of the time, and I only played over and over the awkward checkpoints... even so, I must have played 5 or 6 hours a day? Wow.

• Like 1

Something I notice with almost every modern game these days. They're playing like a movie. I bought the highly praised Resident Evil 7 in the Steam Summer sale, for example, and, it really kind of annoyed me in the first hour with so many things where I just helplessly sit there, and can't do anything about so many things. Think I really prefer it the way it used to be in games, that you are the master of what's happening on the screen, not the game. 

3 hours ago, Fidcal said:

the £54 I paid and wanted my moneysworth.

Piracy-global-warming.jpg.522cd9c04abae432c76f9e42e7a77e1e.jpg

Edited by Anderson
  • Like 2

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

Not a joke - just outdated. Nobody still drives around and buys CDs. It is all online now.
But a SkidRow subscription still is the most reliable source for games without DRM (GOG comes next).

• Like 2

I'll admit the looks of the 2 new zombies interest me, but I'm not paying 60 bucks for a walking simulator with an awful story.

• Like 2