The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Painter’s Wife v1.2 by Fractured Glass Company (2020/07/01)

Dragofer

On 3/16/2021 at 9:49 PM, Dragofer said:

Is that with the newest SVN assets and source? There was a problem with redefinition of the camera script since some FMs use a custom version without inclusion guards, but I can now load into the map and inspect the security camera without problems.

Can't repeat the script assert failure with the current svn any more

It was really huge. I constantly felt lost. :) I needed to search the forum to find a few places. The ways in the hights were cool.

The city felt very good and I really had a feeling it's a real city. Guards weren't too densely placed.

Spoiler

I think the scene with the floating rocks didn't fit to the rest of the mission. I skipped it.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

• Dragofer changed the title to Fan Mission: The Painter’s Wife v1.2 by Fractured Glass Company (2020/07/01)

I noticed that the download links on missions page and in game were for the over 500MB version of the map, I've updated the links to the proper v1.2 instead.

@chakkman I'm the same way, I have OCD also. I HAVE to explore every nook and cranny, and get every secret and loot or my head hurts. This mission is massive and it's probably going to take me 6 hours to finish it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

3 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I noticed that the download links on missions page and in game were for the over 500MB version of the map, I've updated the links to the proper v1.2 instead.

Damn, I forgot to rename the .pk4 to have the same name as the one on the mirrors. If I'm not mistaken, looks like we'll have plenty of players with double entries in their FM list with a need to manually remove the old .pk4. Thanks for updating those links.

3 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

I HAVE to explore every nook and cranny, and get every secret and loot or my head hurts.

Looks like you might be kept quite busy with this FM ;) There are even secrets that follow on from other secrets.

• 4 weeks later...

This mission was a handfull. Took me over 4 hours to finnish it with 5k in loot and all the objectives done, but I loved most of it. Verry reminiscent of Deadly Shadows open city, but made arguably better in most aspects. I loved traversing the rooftops, the sights were gorgeous and I am suprised the site didn't feature better screenshots.

Spoiler

I did encounter one bug. In the area where the mask is there is a small floating ile with the tent and goldsack. Once returning I clipped trough stone and was unable to jump.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I never finished this one last year. Couldn't find my way around this huge map. I like what you've done with the in-game map in the update. I remember the old one, couldn't see anything. Good Job!!

I need a spoiler.

Spoiler

I was in the bizarre library with the case that sends you to another dimension with orbiting rocks & a blue fireball temple.

So after that I RUN thru the fire chamber (took some serious damage) and into the altar room, I see the 2 unlit torches & I'm thinking fire arrows, but what if you only have 1 ?? How do I cross that gap?

On 7/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, MrMunkeepants said:

I've done a lot more exploring, gotten a little lost, picked up some shiny objects, and found some bugs:

Hide contents

on my second attempt at the temple/firetrap in tiny world, the water went vertical: (attached)painterswife_2020-07-08_20.41.38.jpg

when picking up the mask from the statue in the tiny world, I got a BOOP noise; I've heard it when unsuccessfully trying to KO AI as well.

the thieves in their hideout are unusually heavy, like trying to drag large crates.

I'm missing prompts for some very obvious bonus things, or seeing ways of entry for others:

Hide contents

I found an assassin; someone must have a note about fearing or hiring her, but where?

there was a note of frustration about the clock tower being off-time, but how do I get into it?

Oh wait, the water isn't supposed to do that? Mine is the same, but I got passed it & passed the fire chamber, but what do I do in the altar room, to get across to the altar?

So, I backed up to an earlier save. Right before entering the other dimension in the bizarre library. I couldn't wait, I really Love this FM. It's so BIG :)  I'll go back to that again later.

Anyway, in Marlow's Manor, in the basement. I need help locating a key that goes to the door (above the room where the painter's wife is being held hostage), I'm guessing that's where the

Spoiler

secret passage is that leads into the blocked off room. Read about a key on the wall

in the basement somewhere, but I can't find it.

In the Machine Room, after turning off the turbine I noticed a frobable vent behind it. I can't get to it since the turbine is in the way, but how do I get into that wall from another way?

On 4/29/2021 at 6:48 PM, TheMalkavian said:

This mission was a handfull. Took me over 4 hours to finnish it with 5k in loot and all the objectives done, but I loved most of it. Verry reminiscent of Deadly Shadows open city, but made arguably better in most aspects. I loved traversing the rooftops, the sights were gorgeous and I am suprised the site didn't feature better screenshots.

Hide contents

I did encounter one bug. In the area where the mask is there is a small floating ile with the tent and goldsack. Once returning I clipped trough stone and was unable to jump.

That happened to me to. Didn't find no

Spoiler

gold sack

either. The last stone when leaving the campsite. I jumped onto it and instead of being able to jump off, the rock passed through me (since it's moving) & finally I fell into space. Luckily I save all the time, so didn't lose too much, but then I backed up all the way before entering the twilight zone because I can't figure out how to get to the altar after the fire chamber ?? Do you remember? And how do I get back to the city?

On 5/14/2021 at 9:13 PM, Acolytesix said:

How do I cross that gap?

Spoiler

You'll need to follow an invisible path - look closely at the ceiling for guidance.

16 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

Anyway, in Marlow's Manor, in the basement. I need help locating a key that goes to the door (above the room where the painter's wife is being held hostage

Spoiler

That sounds like the key Marlow's carrying on his belt (unless this was removed in an update). I don't believe it's necessary, anyway: you need to find a way into the secret paths behind the walls. The easiest way is by going to the spiral staircase next to hostage room and pulling on the slightly loose oil lamp. This will also lead behind the turbine.

11 hours ago, Dragofer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You'll need to follow an invisible path - look closely at the ceiling for guidance.

Hide contents

That sounds like the key Marlow's carrying on his belt (unless this was removed in an update). I don't believe it's necessary, anyway: you need to find a way into the secret paths behind the walls. The easiest way is by going to the spiral staircase next to hostage room and pulling on the slightly loose oil lamp. This will also lead behind the turbine.

Thankyou for that. I feel like such an idiot. I didn't even see the oil lamp up there...hehe

I gotta ask though. In the vent tunnel, across from the generator there's a room with a hovering solid black box that is not frobable. What is that there for?

Out front of the manor there are 2 guards. 1 arrow proof face & the other not. The one without got shot in the face just now & he dies, but then the screen flashes black & the game crashes. Didn't even have time to save...

Gonna reboot & try again, gotta clear the streets for Lilly & I :). There's no roof walks with her on my back lol

Edited by Acolytesix

I read somewhere that I'm supposed to go under the

Spoiler

pumphouse to get to the buried chapel

. I was just there & I got all the way down in the cistern too, but found the secret under the

Spoiler

basement, in the cavern. That looks like a place a chapel

could be buried, but no luck there.

Thought I'd report a little bug down in that

Spoiler

cavern with the 2 spiders. In the pool where the dead guy lay,

when walking on the bottom of the pool, thinking I'd walk up the edge, but no. I go through the slope and into space. There's even stars there. Thought I was closer to finding that

Spoiler

chapel.

Can I get a spoil on where in the pumphouse area I go to get to the

Spoiler

chapel

?

OOps, didn't need to hide all of that. 

Also, there's a locked door in the gambling den. Anyone know where the key is? I knocked everybody out in there.

Oh, and the assassin, where is she again? Can't find any text on that in my inventory, but I know I read it or heard it somewhere in the game.

One more thing, Lilly. Where do I bring her? The guy on the balcony at the Lion's inn is gone. Would that be

Spoiler

Andreas

apartment?

What's the fire arrow for?

Edited by Acolytesix

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

there's a room with a hovering solid black box that is not frobable. What is that there for?

That's a missing model bug - I've added that and your other bugs to our FM's tracker.

The one without got shot in the face just now & he dies, but then the screen flashes black & the game crashes.

That sounds like a problem with the core game. If you can get this to happen repeatedly, maybe also in other FMs, it'd definitely be worth bringing it up in its own thread in the forums.

9 hours ago, Acolytesix said:

Can I get a spoil on where in the pumphouse area I go to get to the

Biker says you're looking for the sewers of Bridge St. He's the one with the detailed map knowledge.

Also, there's a locked door in the gambling den. Anyone know where the key is?

I believe the guard patrolling inside the den up to that door has the key on his belt.

Oh, and the assassin, where is she again?

She's in a small apartment, IIRC in Upper St. - Marlow's 4th letter gives a hint, too. I always find it by going to the central Builder tower next to Lord Harrington's, then go north/east.

What's the fire arrow for?

In case you get into a fight, i.e. with an undead.

One more thing, Lilly. Where do I bring her?

The painter's name is Andreas, so yes you need to bring her to Andreas' apartment. At map start he was at the Lion's Head Inn to talk with you about the mission, later on he goes to his apartment.

18 hours ago, Dragofer said:

That sounds like a problem with the core game. If you can get this to happen repeatedly, maybe also in other FMs, it'd definitely be worth bringing it up in its own thread in the forums.

That's actually happened in many TDM FM's for me. Sometimes when they are sleeping and you shoot them in the face they squiggle all over like fish out of water. You gotta pick them up real quick or the game crashes. I can't seem to BJ them on the twin beds, just the big beds. Gotta climb up on the bed and lean forward. Bunk beds are the worst. 

5 minutes ago, Acolytesix said:

That's actually happened in many TDM FM's for me. Sometimes when they are sleeping and you shoot them in the face they squiggle all over like fish out of water. You gotta pick them up real quick or the game crashes. I can't seem to BJ them on the twin beds, just the big beds. Gotta climb up on the bed and lean forward. Bunk beds are the worst. 

** Ended up  using the fire arrow on the guard with the anti-arrow helmet on the streets. He was the last armed guard left on any of the streets. Got Lily home ok :)

BTW, the abbot up in the healing tower. Arrows just bounce off his face. I know I'd fail the mission, but just say'n...

Edited by Acolytesix

19 hours ago, Dragofer said:
Spoiler

She's in a small apartment, IIRC in Upper St. - Marlow's 4th letter gives a hint, too. I always find it by going to the central Builder tower next to Lord Harrington's, then go north/east.

The assassin,

Spoiler

NE of there would be Pendly Estates

right? I can't find any other

Spoiler

apartments

on the map in that direction.

There's a locked door on the corner of Arch Way & Lower Street. Where's the key for that?

Also there's a pole sign that says Tower Street & something with an A, but it's not on the map, it's in the pumphouse area, spun me around a bit until I found the Bridge Street sign on the wall lol

Oh yeah, the gambling den. Which building was that in again?

I'm at the pumphouse. Gonna try and find that chapel again, after I text Biker :) I need to talk to him anyway. You know if he's busy with anything?

A bug seems to have occurred in my playthrough, which prevents me from finishing the mission:

Spoiler

The objective "Looks like Marlow's out. Look for a lead on his location" is not being marked as complete, even though I obviously had a lead on his location (such as the assassin's plans), that's how I found him and killed him.

Is there any other way to trigger completion of this objective? I've gone through all my readables multiple times (including the assassin's plans) but nothing's working. Maybe I'm missing something?

This is how it looks: https://imgur.com/a/tqB7vxZ

Edited by darksilence

The Dark Mod Database: https://tdmdb.com

On 5/25/2021 at 2:55 AM, SuaveSteve said:

When I jump on this rock, coming back from the healing pool, I cannot jump or crouch again and the rock slowly clips into me. 2.09, 64bit, Windows. FM is 1.2.

Same here, I don't remember having this problem with floating platforms in previous TDM versions.

On 5/23/2021 at 2:26 AM, darksilence said:

A bug seems to have occurred in my playthrough, which prevents me from finishing the mission:

Hide contents

The objective "Looks like Marlow's out. Look for a lead on his location" is not being marked as complete, even though I obviously had a lead on his location (such as the assassin's plans), that's how I found him and killed him.

Is there any other way to trigger completion of this objective? I've gone through all my readables multiple times (including the assassin's plans) but nothing's working. Maybe I'm missing something?

This is how it looks: https://imgur.com/a/tqB7vxZ

Sorry for the delayed response - looks like there might be a gap in the objectives logic.

That objective appears when you enter Marlow's area in his mansion and should complete when you find his 4th letter in the same area (that's the lead). It looks to me like you went to his chambers, but didn't find the 4th letter and ended up completing all the other objectives without that clue.

Spoiler

The 4th letter can be found by getting the key from one of the bookshelves on the upper library floor, then using that on one of the desks on the lower library floor.

Finding this letter is also a requirement for the non-lethal way of eliminating Marlow, which isn't included in your screenshot.

@SuaveSteve
 @irisx
Does it only ever happen with that one rock, and on every attempt? Might be something about how that rock is angled, at a guess.

• Like 1