The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Painter’s Wife v1.2 by Fractured Glass Company (2020/07/01)

Dragofer

And a condump, please. The missing entity should be listed there.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

On 10/19/2022 at 11:57 PM, AluminumHaste said:

A black cube is usually a missing entity.  Screenshot with location?

Spoiler

TDMBlackSube.jpg.72ecb3c77c125c9d51938132c5fbf840.jpg

When in the Marlow manor generator room, get in the side vent and look straight forward.

TDMBlackSube.jpg.79e38b3904113d4e2846b5efc888c984.jpg

On 10/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, Obsttorte said:

And a condump, please. The missing entity should be listed there.

Here you go, I also added the cfg file.

Darkmod_cfg.txt black_cube_painters.txt

4 minutes ago, QuizzledPinkie said:

A black cube is usually a missing entity.  Screenshot with location?

Can you provide a screenshot of the location? You can use the console command "noclip" to fly around easily and get there

WARNING:Couldn't load model: 'models/darkmod/waterworks/font_medium.lwo' (nor the fallback to ASE)
WARNING:Couldn't load model: 'models/darkmod/waterworks/font_medium.lwo' (nor the fallback to ASE)
WARNING:Couldn't load model: 'models/darkmod/props/misc_junk_18.lwo' (nor the fallback to ASE)
WARNING:Couldn't load model: 'models/darkmod/props/misc_junk_18.lwo' (nor the fallback to ASE)

I would assume these are causing the issues, most propably the first one, as the junk is probably easy to overlook. Besides that it appears that a ton of the assets shipped with the mission are in the meantime part of the core mod causing tons of warnings to spam the console. So it may be worthwhile considering an update either way.

It looks like it's not the latest version of the FM (v 1.2) because the console reports the .pk4 as having 1752 files, while the .pk4 on missions SVN has 1590. One of the things I did for v1.2 was to clean up all FM-caused console warnings. As of TDM 2.11 the core assets should no longer produce warnings either.

11 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Can you provide a screenshot of the location? You can use the console command "noclip" to fly around easily and get there

I've noticed the black cube as well. Here's a screenshot of the location.

]getviewpos
722.31 -410.12 -383.25   2.2 -102.2 0.0

painters_wife_black_cube.webp

Edited by Daft Mugi
  • Thanks 1

The current version of the fm contains neither of both models referenced above (font_medium and misc_junk_18), it contains misc_junk_X with X up to 17, though.

The font model isn't referenced in the map file, but the junk model is exactly once, at the location pointed out by @Daft Mugi.

// entity 6876
{
"classname" "func_static"
"name" "func_static_1098"
"origin" "704.037 -464.909 -395.714"
"rotation" "1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1"
"model" "models/darkmod/props/misc_junk_18.lwo"
"noclipmodel" "1"
}

My suggestion is therefore to replace the model with one of the 17 other junk models or to just delete the entity.

• 7 months later...

For some reason I thought this FM was just released, didn't realize it's 3 years old already! Just finished it at last with 5100 loot and 3 secrets found, not bad for something of this scale. I was stuck on one of the objectives but finally found it so I removed my question.

This has to be the most structurally intense FM ever made: I don't think a city of quite this size and complexity was ever done for TDM in one map before, the parkour and little hidden areas are insane! This is nice albeit mentally straining as it's impossible not to miss something or properly keep track; In many cases I had to noclip to discover how to get to certain areas, reloaded and went there without cheats afterward but don't know how I could have found some areas otherwise. Easy to get lost but this is compensated by the extremely useful feature of the map highlighting where you are so you don't have to guess using signs.

Ran into a few bugs. Most noteworthy is a breaking glitch that makes it impossible to continue without noclip:

Spoiler

Once you place the painter's wife on the bed and the objective is completed, an invisible collision appears in front of the door and you can no longer go back out of the room. It's like a hidden box that blocks the entire doorway up to the little stairway next to it. No idea how that could be happening but for now I just ghosted through the doorway.

Other than that nothing too significant: Managed to catch a case of a door that opens too wide and goes through the railing, there was a hatch that did it too but I forgot that one. I can also confirm the black box bug... first thought it's caused by my mod to remove spiders because I have arachnophobia, they set the entity to null however so it shouldn't be a box per say.

painterswife(2023-06-1104-07-25)(62.61-415.28-127.75).thumb.jpg.699814d3cf2a19193ea313ec05a42197.jpg

Edited by MirceaKitsune
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Ran into a few bugs. Most noteworthy is a breaking glitch that makes it impossible to continue without noclip:

Thanks for giving it a playthrough and leaving the detailed feedback. Regarding your supposed glitch, it's actually an intended feature to ensure the player stays inside the room while the NPC is talking to him to avoid missing cues and not seeing why the objectives were updated. The barrier should be gone afterwards.

3 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Thanks for giving it a playthrough and leaving the detailed feedback. Regarding your supposed glitch, it's actually an intended feature to ensure the player stays inside the room while the NPC is talking to him to avoid missing cues and not seeing why the objectives were updated. The barrier should be gone afterwards.

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately there's still a bug as the barrier never goes away: When I first enter the apartment the husband says "is she hurt, please put her on the bed"... I do so and the objective is completed, but after that the husband says nothing else and the barrier never goes away. I looked around the room and tried frobbing him, but nothing ever happens for some odd reason. Wonder if some triggers or signals got broken in latest dev?

3 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately there's still a bug as the barrier never goes away: When I first enter the apartment the husband says "is she hurt, please put her on the bed"... I do so and the objective is completed, but after that the husband says nothing else and the barrier never goes away. I looked around the room and tried frobbing him, but nothing ever happens for some odd reason. Wonder if some triggers or signals got broken in latest dev?

Hm, he's meant to continue talking after the placement is complete and the objective ticks off.

• 6 months later...

I'm replaying this mission after beating it several years ago, and it's almost like playing it fresh since I've forgotten a good bit. In fact, I need a bit of help with

Spoiler

Marlow's first letter. I got the final one as well as 2, 3, and 4 from Lily's room.

Hey marbleman. Just taking the opportunity to thank you for your walkthrough vids of Thief 1, 2 and TDM missions. I found quite a bit of help with finding stuff in there. ;) Thanks for your missions as well.

Edited by chakkman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, marbleman said:

I'm replaying this mission after beating it several years ago, and it's almost like playing it fresh since I've forgotten a good bit. In fact, I need a bit of help with

Spoiler

Hmm, you should be able to find the First Letter in Lily's room. the name it should have in your inventory is "Marlow's 1st Letter". For the fourth and final letter (if this is what you are talking about) is found in Marlow's office, in his desk.

I also forgot about where these letters were as it has been so long. I had to open up the map and look, lol

Edited by Amadeus

I've figured it out.

Spoiler

Turns out the letter I'm looking for doesn't exist; I got all of them and just forgot that I have to read them before they assemble into a stack I can leave on the judge's desk.

By the way, is the patch for this still in the works? There is still a black box in Marlow's basement, and the coin I reported embedded into geometry is still embedded too.

3 minutes ago, marbleman said:

By the way, is the patch for this still in the works? There is still a black box in Marlow's basement, and the coin I reported embedded into geometry is still embedded too.

Well, I guess there will be a patch now. Sorry about that, I do remember you talking about that coin a while back. Can you remind me where it is please?

• 1 month later...

Another issue I ran into which I remember from playing the mission way back: you can basically softlock yourself here if you jump onto the boulders as they float up. You get stuck in them and can't jump anymore.

Edit: if you just stay on one of these boulders for too long, you get stuck too.

painterswife (2024-03-11 14-02-23) (5492.73 2350.68 -765.49).jpg

Edited by marbleman

A run doesn't feel legit to me if I use console commands, and ghosting rules disallow cheating altogether.

This whole section kinda sucks if I'm blatantly honest. Nothing about TDM's mechanics supports this kind of level design.