The Dark Mod Forums

How far we've come (FPS) 2.03->2.08->2.09Alpha

AluminumHaste

I turned off the ingame anti-aliasing now, and use FXAA. Wow, pretty big impact. I didn't know that AA was so critical in this game. :) I could even crank up some of the other options now, without significant impact, and easily run 60+ frames with Nvidia forced VSync in any area of the training mission now. Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure the other missions will run fine now as well. 

• Haha 1

Well, ha, don't get too far ahead of yourself :P

There are lots of missions that push hardware a lot harder than the training mission. But that's awesome to hear, should have asked about performance a long time ago :(

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

2 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

Oh god yes. AA in game basically cust your FPS in half. I don't think FXAA works in OpenGL though.

For you, turn off AA, Bloom, Soft Shadows.

It works, it works. And everywhere if the driver is instructed to allow it (you can always modify this via Nvidia Profile Inspector, to allow it *everywhere* ).

It's AMD MLAA that has a totally erratic behaviour about working or not in a game when forced via driver control panel.

Remember to force the Triple Buffering in OpenGL games when you don't see the option in the game itself and you use VSync to avoid tearing ;)

Otherwise you'll got the framerate as a submultiple of the refresh rate (refresh rate 60 -> framerate: 60 if FPS>=60, 30 if 30<FPS<60, etc.)

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

8 hours ago, chakkman said:

It's a bit difficult to say anyway. As far as I know, the soft shadows added a significant performance drop, so, anything which improved it could be equalized.

Depends on which soft shadows we're talking about. Shadow maps are really expensive, and that + soft shadows is a framerate killer. But stencil shadows + soft shadows quality set to low should produce decent results without affecting framerate too much. In worst case you'll have to set it to off. AA is definitely a killer, AO needs like 10-15% of your performance too. Since you have gtx 1060 you probably don't need to change Anisotropic Filtering, but I've seen pretty big performance boost on older cards when going from x16 to x4, especially when there are many high res materials used.

Edit: as AH mentioned, CPU may limit performance of your GPU, but it's also the low-speed ram. Resolution is a big factor too, e.g. switching to 1440p will affect performance substantially, even with current assets and textures.

And last but not least, do you have your Power profile set to something like Power Saver? I did that to my PC not so long ago, and I had slowdowns in TDM, even with a pretty good rig. That applies both to laptops and desktop PCs.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

Thanks again for the good tips. Don't think I learned that much about making TDM more performant than today. :) Someone should really sticky this, especially the thing with the AA, it really worked wonders (just tried Briarwood Manor, and, apart from someplaces, I always had 60 frames plus). And, yeah, I use stencil shadows. Maps do have a big impact as you say.

Regarding the power plans: Nope, I always run the balanced plan. Sometimes when I'm doing music with software synthesizers, I switch to the high performance plan, which is necessary to avoid audio drop outs when there's a lot of CPU load. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lowenz said:

It's AMD MLAA that has a totally erratic behaviour about working or not in a game when forced via driver control panel.

Is that really true? I've not used it in some time but I did used it before and it worked every single time in all games I tried it, could be a recent bug, personally stopped using it because I don't like how it blurs the scene a little and also affects the text in the GUI's of some games, makes them overly smooth. It also doesn't work in Dx12 and Vulkan games, but those are a minority.

Btw I personally don't like FXAA either, why, because it also blurs the scene a little to my tastes, if I can't use MSAA or even SSAA I don't use AA at all, I prefer fluid motion, crisp images and don't mind aliasing, IMO isn't that bad at 1080p. 

Edited by HMart

It started to behave erratic after RIS introduction.

Aliasing is "solved" without any AA techniques @2560x1440 on a 24" screen 😛

Doom Eternal TAA 32x is good enough (no ghosting) adding a bit of sharpening.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

13 hours ago, chakkman said:

easily run 60+ frames with Nvidia forced VSync in any area of the training mission now. Thanks for the tip, I'm pretty sure the other missions will run fine now as well. 

No worries :D

I’m glad that it helped in such a big way!

• Thanks 1