The Dark Mod Forums

New tdm_installer and dev builds

stgatilov

Installed the 2.09 beta with this, everything worked fine.

One small remark about the overall UI design. It kinda looks like this:

Spoiler

how_to_annoy_your_designer_friends.jpg.24fd32172445a6e5ced75d281476622f.jpg

Padding, margins, buttons' distance from the border, indents for text in subsequent lines, it looks uneven or odd. IIRC, Orbweaver said he's a UI programmer, maybe he could help with that, if the time allows. O just blatantly copy any other dialogue / wizard you like. But again, this would probably be a lowest priority thing :)

Edited by peter_spy

11 hours ago, Araneidae said:

Does the installer update itself, or I do need to download a new version (presumably the link at the head of this thread)?

It should update itself when you try to go to the second/third screen (unless you explicitly disable it).
It would post a message when it does so, so you won't miss it.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:08 PM, peter_spy said:

Padding, margins, buttons' distance from the border, indents for text in subsequent lines, it looks uneven or odd. IIRC, Orbweaver said he's a UI programmer, maybe he could help with that, if the time allows. O just blatantly copy any other dialogue / wizard you like. But again, this would probably be a lowest priority thing :)

Yes, I would appreciate if someone improves spacing and layout.

The FLTK designer application is located here https://svn.thedarkmod.com/svn/darkmod_src/trunk/ThirdParty/artefacts/fltk/bin/win64_s_vc15_rel_mt/fluid.exe. And the file for GUI is here: https://svn.thedarkmod.com/svn/darkmod_src/trunk/tdm_installer/GuiFluidAutoGen.fl

Well I would like to give it a try,
but i (and others) dont have readonly acces to the svn to download the files.
Would be nice to have them.
- edit -
And they are.
Just Open your webbrowser to svn.thedarkmod.com (you be pointed to a public trunk)
and navigate manually to the files.
Fluid.exe: at public trunk
Guifluidautogen.fl :at tdm installer folder in public trunc

As an alternative, the FLTK designer installer and an instruction video can be found here:
FLTK designer Installer (for version 1.3.2, windows) and installation instructions: courses.cs.washington.edu
FLTK designer Installerpackes for linux: repo
instruction yt video: An Introduction To Using FLTK's GUI Builder "Fluid"

Edited by freyk
  • Thanks 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Thanks, the installer did indeed update itself nicely (I now have version v0.23 built Dec 24).

At least on Linux, a slightly cleaner restart should be achievable with one of the `exec*` functions (`execve` and wrappers), but there doesn't appear to be a Windows equivalent for this.

With respect to freyk's last posting, it seems a shame that TDM isn't on git yet.  I imagine this conversation has already happened!

Edited by Araneidae
Clarify exec(3)

3 hours ago, Araneidae said:

With respect to freyk's last posting, it seems a shame that TDM isn't on git yet.  I imagine this conversation has already happened!

There would be GitHub mirror at some moment.

Right now the admin resource is occupied on the better FM database. Then it would be 2.09 release and syncing tdm_installer data to mirrors. Not fast enough, unfortunately.

I've tried to upgrade to beta209_02 but aborted midway by clicking on x in the top right corner. Now whenever I try to download any version I get an error message and the download never begins:

Failed to open zip file ".zipsync/mani/10.iniz"

Here's a log of my faulty tdm_installer. I've also looked in my .zipsync folder and found that 10.iniz is empty.

tdm_installer_faulty.log

Deleting 10.iniz has fixed the problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragofer said:

I've tried to upgrade to beta209_02 but aborted midway by clicking on x in the top right corner. Now whenever I try to download any version I get an error message and the download never begins:

Failed to open zip file ".zipsync/mani/10.iniz"

Well, it is clear that error reporting is good enough 😁

I'll fix this case, but in general killing the installer when it is doing something can leave your installation in trouble in many ways, so I'm afraid it is expected that user might have to do something after that...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to say that I tried the fltk gui designer and have get used to the controls.
(To me, the controls are very annoying, compared with other gui desingers)

But i learned about this desinger much, like:
to make the GUI/Window of the tdm installer smaller, start by making the tdm installer image-banner smaller (or re-sizeable).
Then compare & change the tdm installer fltk-button sizes, with winforms buttons sizes.
For me this takes time, because of the desinger controls.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Spoiler

Next problem: the installer has been working fine on my office laptop so far. However, yesterday I tried for the first time to switch to a dev build, which aborted with an error message like this not long after I had "START"ed the download:

ERROR: Failed to rename file C:/personal/darkmod/tdm_ai_monsters_spiders01.pk4 to C:/personal/darkmod/__repacked__tdm_ai_monsters_spiders01.pk4 (error -1)

Now whenever I try to install any build, I get this error message and the download aborts back to the download initation screen (where it shows how many MBytes will be downloaded). If I try to restart the download, the installer crashes. Sometimes it complains about tdm_ai_animals01.pk4 instead of tdm_ai_monsters_spiders01.pk4.

I've tried deleting my tdm_installer.ini and tdm_installer.log, but it made no difference.

tdm_installer.log I've attached the log.

Nevermind, a process from DR was still somehow open even though I closed DR hours ago, causing the spiders .pk4 to still be considered as being in use by a program.

• 2 weeks later...

A weird issue that I noticed only with 32-bit Linux build of tdm_installer.

When run from a shared NTFS directory, it thinks that it has only 3.84 GB of free space available. Which is obviously 2^32. I checked the code, and I don't see any 32-bit integers there. And I don't see any reports about filesystem::space not working properly on 32-bit Linux.

When I run it from /home, it thinks it has only 2.62 GB of free space available. It can be either the issue with dynamic virtual disk, or something with the fact it is VM.

I'm afraid I'll release 32-bit build without changing anything, and see if anyone has the same problem.

• Like 1

I think I have fixed the problem with spaces on Windows.
Of course, update to this new version still won't work, but updates to subsequent versions should work properly with spaces in paths.

Also, I have published 32-bit Linux built of tdm_installer.
It would be great if someone (who knows well how to run 32-bit stuff on Linux) tries to use it and reports if it works properly.

• Like 1

I am on 64-bit Linux Mint but the 32-bit installer worked for me other than the warning about "not enough space".

Hopefully a 32-bit user will chime in.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

11 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I am on 64-bit Linux Mint but the 32-bit installer worked for me other than the warning about "not enough space".

Hmm... so you see this stupid warning on native Linux.

I guess I'll have to disable it for 32-bit Linux build.
Because I don't see where it happens, it is likely some implementation issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Yeah, pretty strange. It started by warning that I only had 1.68GB available then on upgrades it would tell me I had 2.6GB available.

No comments:

#include <experimental/filesystem>
#include <stdio.h>

namespace stdfsys = std::experimental::filesystem::v1;

int main() {
    stdfsys::space_info stdres;
    stdres = stdfsys::space(stdfsys::path("."));
    printf("free : %0.3g\n", double(stdres.free));
    printf("cap  : %0.3g\n", double(stdres.capacity));
    printf("avail: %0.3g\n", double(stdres.available));
    return 0;
}