The Dark Mod Forums

New tdm_installer and dev builds

stgatilov

6 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

It worked as expected, but exasperatingly slow, the installation took almost 48 minutes with the 3 missions by default (I use fiber connection with a minimum of 100 Mbs).

Yes, I usually get something near 1 MB/s for full installation, which gives expected time of about one hour.

Maybe one day I'll implement parallel requests (to same or different mirror). Thus far I'm worried about consequences (refactoring too much or multithreading issues). Luckily, you have to wait for a long time only once, the version switches are pretty fast after that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

Yes, I usually get something near 1 MB/s for full installation, which gives expected time of about one hour.

Maybe one day I'll implement parallel requests (to same or different mirror). Thus far I'm worried about consequences (refactoring too much or multithreading issues). Luckily, you have to wait for a long time only once, the version switches are pretty fast after that.

Don't worry, it can maybe a handicap for new users though. On the other hand, as they say around here 'One does not look at a given horse's teeth'. I have assumed that the economic capabilities of TDM are not the most suitable for acquiring a High Speed Host.
Apart from this minor inconvenience, it works as it should.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 6/11/2021 at 6:56 PM, Zerg Rush said:

..that left the TDM directory corrupted.
Instead of trying to fix it, I have decided to completely uninstall it and reinstall it again, thus testing the new installer in the process.

How do you determine when that directory (or some files) is/are corrupted? 🤨
By running the game (and missions)?
To solve your problem, check your system disks.
After this check corrupted TDM data for corruption, just by running the tdm installer.
This will automatically check your gamefiles and "repair" by overwriting them where needed.
(Beside the standard missions, other missions will not be checked by the installer)

Yes, downloading the full package and update it using the tdm installer, that is the most fastest sollution, datiswous. (and yes, some tdm mirrors are slow)
@nbohr1more please add the tdm installer to that package.

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

25 minutes ago, freyk said:

How do you determine when that directory (or some files) is/are corrupted? 🤨
By running the game (and missions)?
To solve your problem, check your system disks.
After this check corrupted TDM data for corruption, just by running the tdm installer.
This will automatically check your gamefiles and "repair" by overwriting them where needed.
(Beside the standard missions, other missions will not be checked by the installer)

Yes, downloading the full package and update it using the tdm installer, that is the most fastest sollution, datiswous. (and yes, some tdm mirrors are slow)
@nbohr1more please add the tdm installer to that package.

This i Intended, but I don't know what the kid has done, anyway TDM was no longer starting and some files were in another directory.
Sure I could have used the TDM installer, but this one didn't work either.
That is why I have decided to start a clean slate, before to lost a day to recover it, and next time I will be more careful with this two-legged virus.

Kids can be terrible, like these little trolls that caused exposed PCs in shopping malls to no longer be tested unsupervised for pranks like going into the BIOS and disabling the screen.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

@stgatilovAny particular steps to get the installer to compile?

I import from CMAKE from inside VS2019 but then it fails to build

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error	C2039	'string': is not a member of 'std'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C4430	missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C2143	syntax error: missing ',' before '&'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C2039	'string': is not a member of 'std'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C4430	missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C2143	syntax error: missing ',' before '&'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C1189	#error:  The <experimental/filesystem> header providing std::experimental::filesystem is deprecated by Microsoft and will be REMOVED. It is superseded by the C++17 <filesystem> header providing std::filesystem. You can define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING to acknowledge that you have received this warning.	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\include\experimental\filesystem	30	

Do I need to update visual studio or something?

2 hours ago, duzenko said:

@stgatilovAny particular steps to get the installer to compile?

I import from CMAKE from inside VS2019 but then it fails to build

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error	C2039	'string': is not a member of 'std'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C4430	missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C2143	syntax error: missing ',' before '&'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	34	
Error	C2039	'string': is not a member of 'std'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C4430	missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C2143	syntax error: missing ',' before '&'	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\zipsync\Utils.h	35	
Error	C1189	#error:  The <experimental/filesystem> header providing std::experimental::filesystem is deprecated by Microsoft and will be REMOVED. It is superseded by the C++17 <filesystem> header providing std::filesystem. You can define _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING to acknowledge that you have received this warning.	C:\dev\tdm\dmsrc\tdm_installer\out\build\x64-Debug (default)\tdm_installer	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.26.28801\include\experimental\filesystem	30	

Do I need to update visual studio or something?

Add include <string> I think.

As for filesystem, you can probably set _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING define.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Add include <string> I think.

As for filesystem, you can probably set _SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING define.

Thanks

That helped

Do we want to add these *.vcproj files to source control or ignore list?

image.png.3fe967e02f5b29cfff97bc40cdca0d81.png

8 hours ago, duzenko said:

Do we want to add these *.vcproj files to source control or ignore list?

image.png.3fe967e02f5b29cfff97bc40cdca0d81.png

Why did you touch tdm_update solutions at all?

Just revert the changes.

Also. do I need to wrap the

_SILENCE_EXPERIMENTAL_FILESYSTEM_DEPRECATION_WARNING

with a

if(MSVC)

?

It needs to happen before

add_subdirectory(zipsync)

, so it can't be inside that later `if`

Perhaps it would be easier to put the fix directly into C++ code, by setting #ifdef _MSC_VER for 2019 and above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Svn 9429

I also took the liberty of centering the window when it shows

@stgatilov What version of FLTK are we using? The docs here mention a Fl::screen_scale function, but I can't see it in our includes.

I think we should switch to 1.4 for this to work correctly as stated here

I also want to point out that the installer does not work in non-ASCII file paths. This either needs to be fixed or explicitly mentioned on the Download page/checked inside the installer itself.

image.thumb.png.9438a0a92edbd114cd9681809eb3a805.png

• Like 2

@stgatilov What version of FLTK are we using? The docs here mention a Fl::screen_scale function, but I can't see it in our includes.

I think we should switch to 1.4 for this to work correctly as stated here

We use 1.3.5.

The latest stable version is 1.3.6, and 1.4 is not considered stable yet.
If authors don't consider it stable, then I'll do the same.

Maybe delay this question for a year?
It seems that 1.3 branch is not going to have any more releases.

I also want to point out that the installer does not work in non-ASCII file paths. This either needs to be fixed or explicitly mentioned on the Download page/checked inside the installer itself.

Well... what can I say --- that's definitely good for the users 😁
It's better if they cannot install TDM to such path, than if they can install but something goes silently wrong afterwards.

I think it can be checked on directory selection part: it already marks "bad" path as red, and it can be extended to treat paths with any bad characters the same way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stgatilov said:

We use 1.3.5.

The latest stable version is 1.3.6, and 1.4 is not considered stable yet.
If authors don't consider it stable, then I'll do the same.

Maybe delay this question for a year?
It seems that 1.3 branch is not going to have any more releases.

What could go wrong? (C)

It's not like we use FLTK to service a nuclear reactor. It's just a GUI toolkit. 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duzenko said:

What could go wrong? (C)

Anything.

It's not like we use FLTK to service a nuclear reactor. It's just a GUI toolkit. 😉

If you want to mess with it now, you can download artefacts for 1.4 from somewhere, and play with it. But I'm quite against committing FLTK 1.4 to SVN at this moment.

Of course, if your changes to installer code happen to be small and simple, you can commit them to SVN under some ifdef (maybe FLTK even provides a macro for checking its version), so that they can be enabled later.

• 3 weeks later...

The new version of tdm_installer is public.

It includes the improvements by @duzenko:

1. The window is centered on start.
  2. Progress is shown on taskbar icon.

Regarding progress on taskbar, I think that's a good idea, especially given that installer is intentionally single-threaded, and it does not respond during some operations. On the other hand, the taskbar icon is always visible, even if you switch away.

Also, I have applied the taskbar icon thing to four more operations --- basically, to all operations which can take serious time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, datiswous said:

Is there any reason why the tdm_shared_stuff.zip is still present after installation? I mean the same files are already in the root folder.

The installer can reuse it for update, just like pk4 files.
Perhaps it never really happens, since executables change every version...

Anyway, it was simpler to make it this way, and there is no serious reason to delete them either.

• Like 1

Seems my tdm_installer.exe can’t get past the first screen anymore. I select “Get custom version” and click on “Next”, which leads to an unusually slow analysis of each of my .pk4’s before getting “ERROR: Minizip error -103”.

From what little is written on the internet about this, it seems this error means the installer has troubles opening an archive. I noticed that 2 of the core asset .pk4’s had duplicates ending in .pk4.temp, so tried deleting those. Also tried renaming the .zipsync folder – no avail. Checked in my task manager to make sure that there isn’t a TDM or DR process still hanging on.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:42 PM, Dragofer said:

Seems my tdm_installer.exe can’t get past the first screen anymore. I select “Get custom version” and click on “Next”, which leads to an unusually slow analysis of each of my .pk4’s before getting “ERROR: Minizip error -103”.

From what little is written on the internet about this, it seems this error means the installer has troubles opening an archive. I noticed that 2 of the core asset .pk4’s had duplicates ending in .pk4.temp, so tried deleting those. Also tried renaming the .zipsync folder – no avail. Checked in my task manager to make sure that there isn’t a TDM or DR process still hanging on.

Perhaps you modified some pk4 manually? Or added some pk4/zip starting with tdm_ ?...

Anyway, you can look into installer's logfile, find the error, look which file it was trying to open just before the error. Is it core TDM archive? Most likely it got corrupted. Try to delete it (or at least move away) and rerun installer again. Installer will download the missing file afresh.

UPDATE: In any case, attach the logfile.

• Like 1

@stgatilov Thanks, it turns out that 2 .pk4's were blocking the installer:

I'm pretty sure I touched neither of them, but in any case, deleting both of them allows the installer to progress.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Uploaded new version of tdm_installer.

As the result of my vacation experience, the new installer should be more stable on a bad network.
Previously, installer always downloaded a file within pk4 archive completely in one request. The new build can split this file into smaller chunks and download it chunk-by-chunk. This should help if network gives timeouts constantly.
For a few users who used to get error "Repeated timeout on URL xxx", the new version should work fine.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 5:40 PM, stgatilov said:

As the result of my vacation experience, the new installer should be more stable on a bad network.
Previously, installer always downloaded a file within pk4 archive completely in one request. The new build can split this file into smaller chunks and download it chunk-by-chunk. This should help if network gives timeouts constantly.
For a few users who used to get error "Repeated timeout on URL xxx", the new version should work fine.

I knew such complicated changes won't go unnoticed 😞

@Gadavre has run into a bug caused by this change:

I uploaded a new version of tdm_installer with a fix.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I noticed that, at least with a fresh install, if you cancel install halfway, it deletes everything downloaded upto that point.

I would rather have it that it doesn't, so you can for example quit the installer and select another mirror and continue where you're left.

In fact I just tried installing on a linux laptop. It installed fine till 100% and gave an error that it couldn't open a pk4 file (one of the starter missions). Then it deleted all files, that took the installer 12 minutes to download. I wonder if I should try again...

Edited by datiswous

That seems like unexpected behaviour to me. The average user who cancels an operation is probably expecting to cancel it and would be surprised to find a bunch of leftover files later on.

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle