The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod VR 2.10 alpha is now available :)

cabalistic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Have you tried it via Link? Since there's no roomscale tracking yet, you wouldn't lose much, anyway, and it would rule out potential issues with VD.

Have tried LINK and it works. Amazing work. All looks very good. 

I read somewhere in the first page about the hood. May i make a suggestion? If it is at all possible, can light gem be implemented into the wrist? I would loose all of the hood.

I believe i read somewhere, probably on reddit, you wrote that engine is limited in what you can do VR wise.

Is it possible to implement sort of sack when you reach with your hand behind and sack is revealed with all items?

Is it possible to implement weapons or items on the belt, say you have different arrows and you reach it on the belt and its equipped? Or even HLA style where you press a button on controller and then weapons are revealed and you select them with up or down motion of the hand?

I know its far from that and i wish i had experience and knowledge in this and could help. Just dreaming if its at all possible with current engine

• Like 1

Theoretically, anything is possible, but it's a matter of practicality and available time. My primary goal is to get roomscale working and get weapon handling with motion controllers into an enjoyable state. Everything else we'll have to see after that. And even that "minimal" goal does not have a definitive time line, I'm afraid :)

• Like 3

I totaly understand. The work done sofar ir huge and roomscale plus weapon handling will make it immersive. You are on a good path and i have no doubt you will accomplish whatever goals you have set. Do you have a patreon account so people could support your work?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • nbohr1more changed the title to The Dark Mod VR 2.10 alpha is now available :)
  • 3 months later...

Thank you! The game is looking beautiful in VR, especially with 2.10. I have played though several 2.10 missions and it is mostly working flawlessly. Good enough that I don't play in flatscreen anymore. There's just a couple bugs if you return from your HL2 endeavors.

I eventually get this crash error when playing with shadow maps enabled (tested on a Vive pro, Pimax 5k+, and Reverb G2):

Quicksave_0
Quicksave_1
Quicksave_0
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
ModelGenerator memory: 315 LOD entries with 0 users using 5040 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
ERROR:Could not unlock DX texture
--------------------------------------
Xr: Acquiring swapchain that was not released
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
Could not unlock DX texture

the game will be running fine up to that point then starts to stutter badly shortly before crashing. Fortunately the work-around is just to set the shadow implementation to "stencil" and it runs just fine (but isn't as pretty of course).

On the Reverb G2 (WMR), there is a problem with walking though sunbeam effects (on 2.10 maps). The sunbeam sticks to your right eye and remains in your vision until you restart the game. This does not affect the steamvr headsets fortunately.

Aside from that, everything is very playable. I don't have a Quest2 to test it on though.

[My system:  Win10, i5-10600KF, 16GB, RTX 2080Ti]

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just tried HL2: VR yesterday and got blown away by the level of quality. Got curious again how this mod is progressing, and imagine my shock - it's the same developer. Now I'm even more hyped for TDM VR. It have the potential to become one of the best VR games. The only other Thief- style game I know is Unknightly. But, ironically, it was abandoned by developer in alpha stage in a completely un-knightly manner. Adding full VR inventory and interactions to TDM will be perfect:

- Stealth, horror and atmosphere aspects are greatly enhanced in VR (judging by my recent experience playing Into The Radius, which has all these elements, but is not focused on stealth as much).

- This is a popular mod that gets constant updates and improvements with a modern version of Doom engine. So basically, "free" updates.

- Constant stream of new missions to play.

- Robust, accurate physics engine should be perfect for VR interactions (picking up stuff and bodies).

One of the challenges would probably be making sure that the player has full control over his movement and the amount of noise he makes. With keyboard and mouse, it's easy to do precise movements which are needed in missions when you're in a tight spot. With VR, there's issues, like if you physically lean forward, most games will just move invisible player capsule forward (the capsule itself stays upright at all times) and then suddenly your view gets higher as the game registers your movement as if you stepped up on a table. But you want to lean over it.

Anyway, it's just a speculation on my part. I'm a game dev myself, but haven't worked on actual VR game yet (too lazy, I guess). Maybe I should get my hands dirty at some point... I have some experience with C++, but not with Doom 3 engine.

Thanks for the quick reply on Discord @cabalisticI got it working and the first mission I decided to try is Paying the Bills 0: Moving Day by myself and I’m happy to report it all works beautifully and I dare say, this is now the definitive way to play for me! I’ve barely begun and I’m still messing around and tweaking stuff but it’s super fun.

Many, many thanks. You are doing The Builder’s work!

edit to say: The joy of playing one of my favorite games ever in VR combined with with the fact I’m doing it for the first time in a mission that I created, has me bouncing off the freaking walls. Thanks again, so much for this!

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Ooh sorry for the double post. Entity func_peek appears be broken in VR. A screen shot won’t do it justice.

At first when I crouched by a door handle and leaned forward to enable func_peek, it produced a floating 2D keyhole texture that didn’t wrap to the edges of the screen, and looking around through it was wonky and weird, to put it bluntly. Letting go of lean forward disabled it and everything was back to normal.

Now, tonight when I try it, it’s a bit different. Enabling the func_peek entity causes the HUD and first person view from the headset to be offset from the player body by 10+ft at varying angles, even after letting go of lean forward. Gets stuck like that. Restarting TDM from a save before the glitch spawns me outside the map with the wonky offset view. Shutting down TDM and VR then relaunching resets things and back to business as usual while refraining from func_peeking.

NOT a gripe! Everything else has been golden so far and I’m having the time of my freaking life right now! Haven’t figured out how to record video in VR yet and a screenshots wouldn’t help, so please just test it for yourself to see what I mean. Moving Day has func_peek placed on just about every door in the map, so I hope this helps you investigate.

Again, thanks so much for this mod! Just when I thought I couldn’t love TDM enough, playing in VR has me giddy like a ten year old playing Bafford’s Manor for the first time on an EIDOS demo disc all over again.

Also, I’d like to say, I’ve seen some folks on Reddit praising you for your HL2:VR mod! Wicked awesome, keep at it.

• 1 month later...

I just found out about this on YouTube and tried it -- wow!  I know I'm kind of late to the game but this is amazing!  Thank you so much for this.  I'm a long time fan of the Thief series and this is a dream to play.

Running on Quest 2 using Airlink and a dedicated 5GHz router connected to notebook PC i7-9750H / nVidia GeForce RTX 2060.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, Shadow said:

What hardware are you all using for TDM VR? I've only experienced a Quest 2, but are any others better? Suggestions for what is recommended to get? What system did you get on sale @Jedi_Wannabe

I got an HP Reverb G2, from HP’s site, they seem to run sales every couple of months for almost every holiday. Not wireless, plugs into my GPU and mobo so it’s processing power relies on my PCs hardware. Downside is it’s not portable and I can’t take it on vacation. The upside is better graphics than a Meta Quest 2 (which seems to be most users baseline for comparison, but then again I don’t understand AirLink since I don’t have to worry about that so perhaps that bypasses the onboard processor for graphics, idk)

I’m running it with a Ryzen 7 3700X, GTX 1660Super (not great, but it gets the job done since the only other game I play in VR is Blade & Sorcery which is physics heavy and thankfully relies more on CPU) with 32gb RAM.  So far it’s all worked beautifully for me and I couldn’t  be happier, I just need more time to enjoy it.

As far as suggestions on what to get: find a balance between resolution and refresh rate that works for you and your budget. I found IGN’s guide helpful for comparing tech specs.

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...