The Dark Mod Forums

Help needed: Dragon character

MirceaKitsune

It's a fine enough dragon model. :) As long as it's public domain and you can make the creature reasonably smaller and avoid any clipping through brushes while its animations are working, maybe there could be some uses for it in missions. I suspect they'd have to be rural missions, set in some mountainous wilderness or something, or maybe the dragon would be locked up in some pen of a rich aristocratic collector of strange and rare beasts. (You could even crack a joke about him wanting to create a "Dragon Park" theme park.)

Lore-wise, here's a possible explanation: Dragons had long since been extinguished throughout the civilized world, but in some distant corners of the Empire and outside of it, in the most remote wilderness areas, dragons might still be surviving in very low populations. Treat them as a near-extinct species of monster, on the verge of extinction and on their way out, and it would fit TDM's more urban, industrial, less primeval take on a fantasy world. Then there's the aforementioned "mad rich collector had this dragon captured" scenario.

You could also use the dragon as a pattern to make a separate set of static 3D models depicting the skull and skeleton of a dragon. Then players could put these in some natural history museum in Bridgeport or Sancta Civitas in some museum-themed mission. Description in museum: Skeleton of the last known dragon killed in the vicinity of Bridgeport, in year such and such... (I"ll confess, I got this idea from Arcanum, where they have an archaeological site with the skeletal remains of the last known dragon in that game's world.)

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

I can think of many great ways to include a dragon into a mission but the first thing that comes to mind is the encounter with Smaug from The Hobbit. I really hope this dragon asset gets finished, I've been hoping for a dragon for years and years.

@ MirceaKitsune: I know you're stuck but please don't give up on your dragon, it's beautiful!

On 12/28/2014 at 10:32 AM, Springheel said:

As Obs said, mappers can make whatever missions they want. I think it would be fun to see a WW2-themed mission, or a high-fantasy mission where you have to sneak through the goblin tunnels to steal a jewel from a dragon. But mappers wanting to do that are probably going to have to find their own assets. We don't even have enough people to produce all the TDM assets we want (the werebeast has been sitting unfinished since 2.0, as an example).

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 8:16 PM, Jetrell said:

I can think of many great ways to include a dragon into a mission but the first thing that comes to mind is the encounter with Smaug from The Hobbit. I really hope this dragon asset gets finished, I've been hoping for a dragon for years and years.

@ MirceaKitsune: I know you're stuck but please don't give up on your dragon, it's beautiful!

I think it would be good if the dragon, along with animations, could be resized to two or even three different sizes. One representing an infant (smaller than a player character), one a typical adult (big, but not bigger in body-size than an elephant or two horses), and one being basically a scenery-only dragon, a very old and long-lived specimen (your comparison to Smaug in that huge treasure chamber being apt).

Even if the completed model has thousands of polys less than the original version, I don't really mind. Graphics are secondary to me.

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

There's a bigger issue, MirceaKitsune is currently stuck and needs help completing his dragon. I don't have the skills to help him so I keep hoping that someone here will step in and help him...

On 7/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, MirceaKitsune said:

I moved both the mesh and rig to their own collection, but the exporter still keeps erroring out when I try to produce a md5anim in 2.8. Any additional thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a trip recently and didn't have time to look into this more. But indeed I'm stuck on the exporter issue: 2.9 doesn't want to export no matter how I organize the collections, and I still can't figure out exactly what it doesn't like and how to fix it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...