The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Now and Then by joebarnin (2020/09/08)

joebarnin

Congratulation on the release :) Wi;ll go play this now :D

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Nice mission, really enjoyed it. There are some secrets I can't find but what's really annoying me is:

Spoiler

I can't for the life of me find the key to the safe in the Museum basement. I looked through this thread and found the hint to look outside Carla's house; I think I've explored the whole map but I can't find Clara's house anywhere (I'm sure I must've missed something).

19 hours ago, joebarnin said:

@Clumsy OafThere are hints for this in the Hints section of the OP in this thread. Repeated here:

Reveal hidden contents

There’s a second story apartment facing the museum
You can only get into it via vents
Vent is across from Jacob's door, look up

Let me know if you need more hints on this.

Aaaah, thank you - I had to up the gamma to spot it 😀. Now to try and find the remaining secrets (got 8 so far).

On 10/11/2020 at 10:46 PM, OrbWeaver said:

I played for a while, but eventually gave up because with every single guard helmeted this began to feel like a "forced ghost" (no knockouts) mission which is a style I don't personally enjoy. I won't rule out coming back to it at some point however, if I feel like a challenge.

Feedback based on what I did see:

• While it was thrilling to hear somebody actually use my ambient music, I did wonder if you perhaps used too many different ambients. With a different one in almost every room there was a bit of "mood whiplash". I'd probably tone down the variety a little: maybe one ambient for the streets, another for all rooms off the streets, another for the museum etc.

I recommended Joe to use three different ambients in the museum because....

Let me know: why do you thing there were too many ambients in the museum?

On a different note: where can I download your ambients? Have been searching for them since Joe release N&T

Edited by JackFarmer

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 5:22 AM, ^^artin said:

The game keeps crashing during/shortly after the video sequenze where it shows the city watch has located your hiding place.

I tried to proceed from different save games. I reinstalled the mission and  also updated "the dark mod". Nothing seems to help.

Could someone help out ?

EDIT:

I was able to fix this problem now by deleting and reinstalling the entire game.(I saved a backup of the fms folder of course)

Possibly it was just corrupted game data caused by my ailing hard disk, but has had nothing to do with this mission at all.

By the way, I enjoyed this mission very much. Very well done ! ;)👍

Same issue for me (Debian/testing, darkmod 64 bits). In console, I only obtain :

Changed location from 'location_city1' to 'location_aboveCarla'.
The ambient 'snd_aboveCarla' (city_tranquil_01) for location 'location_aboveCarla' is now playing.
WARNING:Couldn't add entity book1 to inventory of player1
Sauvegarde_rapide_1
Switching to EFX 'location_city1' (#3)

Changed location from 'location_aboveCarla' to 'location_city1'.
The ambient 'snd_city1' (city_silentnight) for location 'location_city1' is now playing.
Sauvegarde_rapide_0
seeStakeoutsignal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..

JB

Edited by JBERT
Log

Same crash with 2.09 beta :

Changed location from 'location_city2' to 'location_jacobhome'.
The ambient 'snd_jacobhome' (solitude_loop_z) for location 'location_jacobhome' is now playing.
Switching to EFX 'location_city1' (#3)

Changed location from 'location_jacobhome' to 'location_city1'.
The ambient 'snd_city1' (city_silentnight) for location 'location_city1' is now playing.
Sauvegarde_rapide_0
seeStakeoutNEW OBJECTIVE
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 128
Trying to exit gracefully..

Segfault comes just after TDM plays video with the watch in player room.

In 2.08, I've never seen 'new objective'. In 2.09 beta, I seen 'new objective' just before segfault.

Hello jorbarnin !

First of all, congratulations for your mission !

It was one of my favorite, the whole story Is particularly well thought with the time travelling, relationship between characters, the background of the painting and the link to the family if the city

Questions that i have are why are they part if the maps when you might be getting stucked : behind eloise's house and behind the clifton's house ?

And my principal request IS : should you tell me where are the secrets ? I could only find 3 of them so i'm kind of unsatisfied (by my poorsome skills above all)

Thank you very much for this pièce 

3 hours ago, pbruno37 said:

Questions that i have are why are they part if the maps when you might be getting stucked : behind eloise's house and behind the clifton's house ?

Can you show me where you got stuck (screen grab)?

3 hours ago, pbruno37 said:

And my principal request IS : should you tell me where are the secrets ? I could only find 3 of them so i'm kind of unsatisfied (by my poorsome skills above all)

Don't feel bad about the secrets - I made some of them really hard to find. Unfair, really 😕. The first post in this thread has some hidden spoilers, including hints for each of the secrets. Have a look at those; if you still need some more hints, let me know.

An update, version 2, is now available: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ciesyfcqu1ct6pj/nowandthenv2.pk4?dl=1. This fixes many of the problems found by those who played version 1. Besides general clean up, the primary goal of this version is to

Spoiler

resolve some of the logical issues that could happen, depending on your actions.

Special thanks to Bikerdude, whose did a quick beta test of this version and whose suggestions I mostly (but not completely) implemented.

Could someone please update the in-game downloader? Thanks!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

An update, version 2, is now available: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ciesyfcqu1ct6pj/nowandthenv2.pk4?dl=1. This fixes many of the problems found by those who played version 1. Besides general clean up, the primary goal of this version is to

Reveal hidden contents

resolve some of the logical issues that could happen, depending on your actions.

Special thanks to Bikerdude, whose did a quick beta test of this version and whose suggestions I mostly (but not completely) implemented.

Could someone please update the in-game downloader? Thanks!

@JBERT  are you able to replicate the error in this updated build?

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

@joebarnin, could you please post some easy-to-follow instructions how to get to the place where @JBERT has the crash? For the poor devs who don't want to play the whole mission 😥 Like the sequence of main locations with getviewpos coordinates...

Here is the quickest way to get to the part of the mission that has the crash:

> notarget
> setviewpos -2371.72 1124.54 -910.26   4.8 7.2 0.0

You will be clipped "inside" of a small closet - don't move, just grab the painting right in front of you. 

> setviewpos -2461.61 1236.86 -1057.22   22.5 177.7 0.0

Frob the big lever right in front of you. A few seconds of video & audio will play

> setviewpos -447.87 -95.21 -580.38   10.2 -89.8 0.0

You're at the top of some stairs. Walk down the stairs and keep walking for a few feet. The cutscene will play (it lasts a few seconds), and then you'll get a new objective. I think this is about where it crashes for @JBERT .

• Thanks 1