The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 2 Miss01

AtariThief

I finished all texture conversions and most shaders for the old Thief 2 textures.

I'm currently testing the shaders and textures in a Miss01 re-make. Screens olny below.

Screen 1

Screen 2

Screen 3

Screen 4

Screen 5

Screen 6

Screen 7

Let me know what you think...

In the first shot the reflections are way to strong IMO. In general it looks good. But especially on the last shot, it somehow looks wrong. Maybe it shows that the textures were not designed for this engine, or it is just a lack of detail on the geometry. Could very well be that it is just that.

Gerhard

I agree with Sparhawk. All textures need alot more detail, they are screaming "im repeating!" all over them, increase the texture size or rework them to not show so much that they are repeating. They almost look cartoony. Secondly, the arch in the last pic needs to be increased in geometry. If you were going for the smoother effect (a perfect half circle) normalize the face normals on that arch to show a smoother transition from one polygon to another. Hope that help. :)

I really like the first shot, but the rest really make it look obvious that they're old, low-res textures.

These don't look converted, they look lik eyou just took the t2 texture and setem up for D3. To make real conversions (my only texture sepcialty) you take the old mat image place it behind the new one and actually recreate new textures based on the old, otherwise you'de never get high enough detail for new games

All textures need alot more detail, they are screaming "im repeating!" all over them, increase the texture size or rework them to not show so much that they are repeating.

If I understood him correctly, these are the original Thief textures taken from the T1/T2 texture base and applied to D3. So they will not repeat more than any regular Thief texture did. :) Apart from that, it is obvious that they are old, because they look a bit out of place in the D3 engine.

Gerhard

Wow, it's a tough crowd today :) What is your intention with these AtariThief? Sorry, I'm new to the conversation. I think I remember you having a similar thread before, but didn't have a chance to look at it.

So, as a newbie into this conversation, I must say I really like the first screenshot, especially the reflection. It doesn't seem too much to me. It's just a very nicely polished floor.

The other ones look like I'm seeing T1 or T2 textures in the Doom 3 game. They might be slightly crisper than T1/T2 or something... but without seeing a side-by-side to compare, I can't really tell. It is neat to see them "live on" in the Doom 3 engine, though!

That bump-mapped one looks very nice if it was originally a T1 or T2 texture! It has much more "life." Good job.

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Agreed. Bumpmaped one look better but thier still too low res. Im not trying to be harsh on ya or anything but like Napalm said. You need to create new higher res textures based on the old ones, or just make new ones all together. Your definately on the right track though. :)

Edited by Philthy

Nice effort, but the geometry in T2 is a bit dated these days - will look better if you use a bit more geometry to flesh out the detail. The textures look much beter with bump maps, but don't overdo the bump depth, and use higher res bump maps to iron out the pixellation a bit. I think with a bit of work, you can make some very good shaders out of the T2 set (remember they are copyright, so if you want to release your textures/map, you will have to make your own from scratch, or Eidos might get cranky with you..).

Use a more subtle amount of blue in the window lighting - subtlety is the key to making things look realistic and immersive, if you use lights that are too saturated it will tend to look garish and unnatural.

Try ading some grime layers to the textures in Photoshop/Paintshop, they will bring textures to life, it is the little scratches, scuffs, stains that you will find on things in RL (even brand new ones) that make your world look believable. Use decals and objects to fill out the detail, and you are on your way to something very good.

I apologise if I seem overly critical.... :)

I really like the idea of re-making old games with new game engine technology - the increase in graphical detail since T1/T2 were released is huge, and you could really make something special if you work hard at it.

One of the ideas I have been messing around with is creating an installer program that can be used to extract resources like sounds, textures, movies etc from old games, add new content, and install as a total conversion for a next gen engine. that way you could make all of your new stuff to replace the old, then use the original content that is still OK, thereby circumventing copyright issues. Because each person will install using their own copy of the original game, no copyright material is being transferred illegally, and it also means download file sizes can be smaller. So the Dark Mod could, since the resource files in T2 are just .zip files with a different extension, use a program to extract sounds, text, etc to install original T2 content, and modders build re-makes of the level maps, textures and models, and voila! T2 remade with improved graphics and engine...

Not being a programmer, I would have to find someone else to do the grunt work involved though...

There was talk of the original Unreal game being remade with the Unreal 3 engine, I don't know if it will happen, but it would look impressive, I imagine. It is a pity that Valve stuffed up the Original Half -Life to Source engine conversion, all they changed was the physics and a couple of textures, most was the original content, so there was not really a noticeable improvement on the original. :(

So the Dark Mod could, since the resource files in T2 are just .zip files with a different extension, use a program to extract sounds, text, etc to install original T2 content, and modders build re-makes of the level maps, textures and models, and voila! T2 remade with improved graphics and engine...

This would, of course, be a HUGE breach of copywrite, so we won't be doing anything like this.

This would, of course, be a HUGE breach of copywrite, so we won't be doing anything like this.

Seconded! If we did anything remotely close to this, we would see cease and desist orders being issued faster than a McDonalds employee can flip burgers.

Best not to say such things. Even the suggestion of it is enough to arrouse suspicion.

I guess I haven't read the EULA for Thief very carefully, but perhaps what I didn't get across was that no original thief content would be distributed. It would work like this: A person has Thief 2 installed (quite legally) on their machine. They also have Doom 3, with Dark Mod installed on their machine. They then run a program that makes the sound, text and video resource files of Thief 2 available to the Doom 3 engine (could be as simple as changing file extension to pk4), and install a mod that includes new, non-copyright textures, models, maps based on the original content, but otherwise entirely new...

Since you would need to have a legal copy of T2 installed, Eidos might not put up a fuss, hell, you could even pitch it to them as a way to make more money off T2 by officailly licencing the mod!

Maybe this vaugely qualifies as reverse engineering, and maybe loosely copying the original maps from T2 and making new improved geometry would be a breach of copyright, but it would be a shady area, so you could probably try it and see what happens... :) And there are people remaking the original Doom with the Doom 3 engine, and Id hasn't complained about it, and you can download a high res texture and model pack for System Shock 2, and I haven't heard of any legal issues about this, but then it is using the same engine...

Actually, there are a lot of old games out there that could have a second run of success if they were 'remastered' with the latest in game tech, I honestly don't know why game companies aren't doing it, since half the work (game design, some resources) has already been done for them...

DISCLAIMER: Do not do what I am suggesting if you are afraid of lawyers with large briefcases. This post is purely hypothetical, and in no way constitutes an effort on behalf of it's author to breach the copyright of Eidos. And I would never really do this, honest.

Im not much of a texture artist.. yet. So I cant really re-make the textures any better than they are. The level design however I could do. And the Doom3 lighting I could do without. I'll get back to my little project soon. Was in an MMORPG for a while... What month is it???? :lol:

I'm using a Nvidia 6800 OC 128 MB DDR AGP 8x/4x.

with a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor 2.17 GHz,

with 1.00 GB of RAM.....

It looks rather cheap, the lighting in Doom3, but that's just my opinion....

As for the 3D in game monsters and models Now they look awsome.

The structures that Doom3 can create are limited in my opion as well,

but with all the talented people working on this mod I'm more than confident it will turn out better than Doom3 itself. :)

The main problem I have with the lighting is that is doesn't fade out into the darkness, but rather stops at one point and then there is darkness. So it is bright to right of the line and completely pitch black to the left.

Edited by AtariThief

The main problem I have with the lighting is that is doesn't fade out into the darkness, but rather stops at one point and then there is darkness. So it is bright to right of the line and completely pitch black to the left.

You need to use your light textures then, or make your own that have the proper amount of falloff you're wanting.

Here, I'll give you one of the freebies I have floating around on my website...it might make for a couple of good working examples for you.

Little Airlock Hallway

Edit: Hey, I just remembered...Geforce 6xxx cards have problems with ambient lights if you're using fairly recent drivers. Nvidia is supposed to be fixing it here soon, but in the meantime if you want em to look right you'll have to install the Forceware 61.32's.

Demigod has been playing with it for awhile now, he'll probably have better info about it than I will.

Thank you Renzatic you've been the biggest help for me. (*Bows to master Renzatic*). I don't really get the hang of the engine yet, but I'm slowly learning. I am taking college courses to be an actual video game designer. Ever since Doom :), and the old Wolf 3-D. I will try what you've said. I switched to Nvidia because my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB overheated in less than 2 years. So I told myself my next card would be an Nvidia. I plan on getting an AMD 64 with either the next Radeon card or the next Nvidia SLI combo. I was always toldthat AMD is better for gaming. Anyways thanks again for the help I'll test it out.