The Dark Mod Forums

Tons of translations added?

Xolvix

I'm pretty sure I haven't changed anything, but I did a "new missions" check within TDM after being fairly up to date (having last checked maybe a couple days ago) and now there's apparently a TON of mission updates with the hash (#) indicating a translation. Did someone go nuts or a server misconfig, or is this something that's been in the pipeline and just made available now?

painterswife_2020-09-22_15.49.30.jpg

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

The actual downloads are very small - it seems like all it's doing when you pick a mission to update is download an extra .pk4 file with a "l10n" in the filename, which apparently means localization. I figure that might happen if I had a language selected other than English, yet it seems like the mission server is basically pushing these out to everyone (assuming it's not just me of course). It seems harmless to just select them all since the downloads will be pretty quick - I'm just not sure why it's happened all of a sudden.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

OK since this isn't getting much attention, I'm just going to say clicked on "Select all" and downloaded the whole set within about 10 seconds. The actual download sizes vary but they're generally several KBs in size so it's basically nothing. I just hope this won't kick me in the ass later but it seems harmless. Better than the clutter.

During the Standalone transition, many missions were being translated by Tels and mission authors friendly to this process.

Though the translations were complete, they were not tested against all the new standalone re-releases so they lingered on the mirrors.

I made a judgment call to add these to the mirrors.

If anyone tries playing a mission with a different language selected and any of these "language packs" produce an error we can pull the affected ones from the mirrors.

If you are playing with English (default) as the selected language, these will have no effect.

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yeah I'm playing English so it doesn't matter, but it's nice the level of localization a FOSS game has. I just wanted to know if it was a "problem" at my end or intended behavior. Thanks for that!