The Dark Mod Forums

Doom 3 mod Phobos

HMart

First sorry if there's already a thread for this mod, but my search didn't found a dedicated thread for it, if there is, be free to delete this.

I don't know how many here know about this Doom 3 Mod, perhaps all and I'm wasting my time but my search found, imo, so few mentions of it that I decided to make a thread to spread awareness. 

IMO, next to obviously TDM (even though TDM is not a Doom 3 mod anymore), Phobos is one of the best Doom 3 mods in existence. They released Episode 1 some time ago and it was to me a fantastic surprise, now they released Episode 2 and imo they outdid themselves the new Episode, like the first, has some of the best level design I saw for Doom 3, some even better than official Doom 3 game and expansions and this one is also longer than first episode. 

Any Doom 3 and idtech 4 fan should play this mod and even if you don't like the former but you like the works of Frictional Games or DONTNOD, imo you will be surprised with this mod.

Btw for thief and TDM fans this mod is nothing like it, is not a stealth game, is a action game but also with a strong emphasis on story. This mod REQUIRES the original Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil expansion, it doesn't work with Doom 3 BFG. They are also working on the third and I think final Episode and like is usual to say, personally I just can't wait for it.  

Doom 3: Phobos

Edited by HMart
Doom 3 expansion name was wrong
  • Like 3

Oh wow, I remember when the first episode was released. I played it and enjoyed it, but despite ending on a cliffhanger I didn't expect the devs to continue making more episodes. I recall the first episode took quite a while to make so I figured they'd just burn out like a lot of modders with ideas of grand single-player campaigns often do. So that's nice to see.

Also the expansion for Doom 3 is Resurrection of Evil and not Return to Hell, but I like that name too. :)

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

Doom 3 was awesome. I know a lot of people prefer Doom 2016 and Eternal's gritty fast-action slaughter, and I am a fan of it, but a large part of me wishes they had continued on with Doom as a horror game. Many of the Doom 3 mods look amazing, and the 3 official campaigns are great. I always wanted a mod gor Skyrim to turn dragons into Maledicts.

I can't attribute it to anyone, but I remember hearing someone from ID once describe classic Doom as being more of a action/horror game, but the horror part couldn't really be represented properly at the time due to primitive rendering technology. So they had humans impaled on spikes, masses of faces embedded in walls and the like, but it didn't sell the horror theme much. But with Doom 3 the tech had caught up so it was much easier to do so.

I also liked Doom 3 but understand why the newer games are more popular, because they're closer in style to the classic fast-paced action experience compared to the slower-paced methodical approach from Doom 3.

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

19 hours ago, Kurshok said:

Doom 3 was awesome. I know a lot of people prefer Doom 2016 and Eternal's gritty fast-action slaughter, and I am a fan of it, but a large part of me wishes they had continued on with Doom as a horror game. Many of the Doom 3 mods look amazing, and the 3 official campaigns are great. I always wanted a mod gor Skyrim to turn dragons into Maledicts.

I preferred the horror of Doom 3 as well.

That said, I only played it for about 10 hours, and then stopped, because I frankly peed myself in some situation... I'm just too faint-hearted for such games. 😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, freyk said:

i followed the status of this missionpack, to use this for my cyberpunk mod. 

I Imagined the combination of the environment in this phobos episode 1 walktrough video from 4:17 to end, with TDM mechaniscs.
And instead of the humans > knights and zombies.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I like the lighting and enemy types of Doom 3, as well as the engine. No wonder the Dark Mod originally used its engine. It reminds me of the night time level for the Duke Nukem Forever DLC, which in my opinion was great at conveying an atmospheric night-time environment.

I must ask, has anyone here ever thought of their own original game in the same vein as Serious Sam/Doom/Duke Nukem/Halo/Half Life, with a badass with power armor and/or a shitton of guns fighting aliens/demons/zombies/robots/etc? I'd like to see one especially in the "badass 90s shooter hero" vein as Duke/Sam/Doomguy.

7 minutes ago, Kurshok said:

I must ask, has anyone here ever thought of their own original game in the same vein as Serious Sam/Doom/Duke Nukem/Halo/Half Life, with a badass with power armor and/or a shitton of guns fighting aliens/demons/zombies/robots/etc? I'd like to see one especially in the "badass 90s shooter hero" vein as Duke/Sam/Doomguy.

Well it's not like this is my "own original game", but if we're talking about games in a similar vein to those listed, a recent one would be Ion Fury. She's basically the female version of Duke anyway. Doesn't have power armor unfortunately but does have a shit-ton of weapons.

• Like 1

So I've been steadily progressing though the campaign, did the prologue and episode 1 first despite having played it before since I wanted to refresh my knowledge of the story. I don't know how far I am through episode 2 so maybe this is answered near the end, but I gotta ask now:

Spoiler

I'm still confused about the Sam/Lee thing. Like, the character I'm playing I assume to be Sam, but is it? They don't know their name, but we have flashbacks to Sam/Lee trying to escape to the countryside or something and dealing with their relationship. The game doesn't really connect the two story elements together... or hasn't happened yet. Will it get clearer by the end or is it still going to be some abstract thing?

EDIT: OK, gotten to another conversation section - seems like it's just flashbacks. I'm sure their importance will be made clear eventually, if not here then in the next episode.

Edited by Xolvix
  • Like 1