The Dark Mod Forums

LFM with AiW feel to it

Zayrian

I'm looking to play some missions with that 'Alice in Wonderland' feel to it.  It can either be inspired from the original works of Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass or American's McGee's Alice.  For those of you who have played The Dark Project, a remake of 'The Sword' will also suffice.  Anyone have any suggestions on what missions to play?

We don't "quite" have a "The Sword" style mission but many missions feature surreal landscapes, warping to different locations and times,

surreal interiors, and we even have a mission with non-euclidean geometry:

A few to try:

Shadows of Northdale ACT 2: Down The Rabbit Hole  ( lots of magic)

Volta 1: The Stone ( large complex manor )

Penny Dreadful 3: Erasing the Trail ( large map with "some magic elements" ... trying not to spoiler )

Illusionist's Tower ( non-euclidean )

Down by the Riverside ( warping )

House in Blackbog Hollow ( surreal events )

In the Black ( large complex manor )

The Gatehouse (castle with lots of magic and puzzles )

Rake Off ( surreal landscapes and buildings )

Crystal Grave ( surreal landscape and building )

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The FM that's most like that I think is Emilie Victor for Thief 2, http://thiefmissions.com/m/EmilieVictor.

There are some other fairy tale-like FMs for T2 like any of KFort's FMs, https://thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?search=%2bauthor=Kfort.

I can't think of any like that in TDM offhand. My work in progress is a fairy tale FM, so it would be, but I don't know how long that'll take to finish.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Well, there are some literal down the hole into the unknown missions, like

Spoiler

Full moon fever (with a twist later), Penny dreadful 1: Grail of regrets, Requiem, Volta 2: the Cauldron

And there are some missions with interesing, trippy premises, like

Spoiler

Accountant 2: New in town, Down by the riverside, A house of locked secrets (which also goes underground later), Snowed inn, The ravine (this one is very much like the sword from original thief), and among other secrets, there is one location in the painter's wife that is 100% this.

Edited by Silverflame3

1 hour ago, chakkman said:

What is a "LFM"?

And what did "The Sword" have to do with Alice in Wonderland? You mean because of the magic stuff? Why Alice in Wonderland? :D

LFM stands for "LookslikeAliceinWonderlandFanMissions" - It is a well known code among insiders. :)

As for the "The Sword", I think he refers to the black and white tiles and the strange architecture in this mission...and to the magic, of course. But I could be wrong -  never really understood the predominant American obsession with that British book. However, I really liked American's McGee's Alice (the first game) for its dark approach. That had something.

Is it really so hard to understand lfm as looking for mission...? :huh:

Also, the architecture in The Sword mission in the game Thief made by "Looking Glass Studios" pays homage to Alice in Wonderland aka "Through the Looking Glass".

Edited by blaa

I have no idea why you feel so offended (especially as it's you who played the smartass). You argued that it is clear that LFM stands for "Looking for mission". FM stands for "FAN mission". So, no, that isn't clear at all. Nor is the Alice in Wonderland thing. If then, a part of the mission resembles something in Alice in Wonderland (which I never noticed BTW, as I'm not into fairytales), not the whole mission.

So, yeah, I have neither an idea what the OP is on about, nor what you're on about. Especially with your aggressive tone.

Edited by chakkman
  • Thanks 1