The Dark Mod Forums

Event Overflow. Possible Infinite Loop in Script

grayman

I'm getting this fatal 2.08 error message now and then when testing my WIP.

I've seen it happen when doing nothing, or when doing a specific action (like turning off a light switch).

Has anyone seen this, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to debug it? The error message doesn't give any information about which script might be causing the problem.

I have tons of scripting work in this WIP, so it looks like it'll be a big job trying to find the culprit.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Stgatilov has added diagnostics for this kind of crash in 2.09, showing the 5 last events and 5 randomly chosen events out of the maximum of 10,000 per frame (IIRC).

Personally I've seen this happen in a custom elevator script that sometimes repeated itself an infinite number of times without any waits inbetween. This was in a script that started if IsOpen() is true, but would only continue if getFractionalPosition() was also true, otherwise it'd restart itself by checking IsOpen(). Sometimes those 2 tests don't agree with each other, so IsOpen would be true while getFractionalPosition is considered false. The solution was to use the same method, IsOpen(), for both tests.

JackFarmer has seen this when he had 2 or more elementals in his map near a door. They'd both place a reminder to check back in x seconds whether the door is still open, but for some reason those reminders accumulated so much that each elemental would post 6000 events per frame to check the door's state. This was fixed in 2.08.

• Like 2

I'm afraid the whole story about event overflow was too late into 2.08 beta, so I decided to add only the core fixes to 2.08, and postpone the diagnostics. But any dev version published afterwards (or SVN version) should have the diagnostics. It should print something like "Soft limit of %d events per frame exceeded!" to console, with a list of latest events nearby, just before it stops with the hard error. The events log should provide some hint at what's going on.

Also there is the "ask a dev to investigate" option. It works pretty well, I promise 😄
But it requires sharing the map, which may be a hassle. If diagnostics don't help quickly and you are OK about sharing the map, just PM me.

• 1 month later...

We've been running the WS6 beta test for 6+ weeks now, and no one has reported the overflow problem.

I suspect (hope?) the current state of the beta is such that the overflow will no longer appear. I'd be willing to release under these conditions.

• Thanks 1