The Dark Mod Forums

Don't know how to launch a .map mission

mattmkb

Hello,

I just started following the Springheel's Workshop and I have my mission in fms/mymission/maps/*.map but it doesn't show on the list of missions in TDM like it does in the tutorial. The workaround which works is to create maps folder in Root and then copy the .map file there and launch it using map command. Does anyone know how can I make TDM look for the .map file within the actual mission's directory fms/mymission/maps instead? Every time I make a change I have to copy the mission to the root maps folder to launch it. Is there any way to make it faster and more seamless? Thank you

I have the darkmod.txt with Title: mymission. What should I put inside of the startingmap.txt file?

EDIT: OK I addes the map name into startingmap.txt but it still doesn't show. I must be doing something wrong.

EDIT: OK I downloaded the startmap.pk4 for now and started messing around with it. I will have to slowly go through the documentation to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by mattmkb

1 hour ago, mattmkb said:

Does anyone know how can I make TDM look for the .map file within the actual mission's directory fms/mymission/maps instead?

You need to have a darkmod.txt and startingmap.txt in your fm so that it shows up in your mission list in TDM, then you need to install your FM in TDM. This is the same as what you do everytime you switch to playing a new mission.

Thank you. I messed up the names of my .map files in maps folder. It's working now, I can see it on my list. Another question. What is the most desirable way to quickly check the mission in game? Keep TDM minimized and alt-tab to it and type in dmap command and then map to reload?  The wiki suggested using a custom shortcut for TDM with a mission specified in the target box. I liked how quickly you could check your mission in DromEd using alt-g/alt-e shortcuts.

Edited by mattmkb

There are a few options:

• type in testmap mapname into the console, which combines dmap and then map. This is risky when you're only beginning to make maps because the map will load even if there's a leak without any warning.
  • create a custom shortcut that starts TDM and automatically loads or compiles a map
  • bind the console commands to dmap/map/testmap your map to hotkeys by typing for example this into the console: bind "p" "map mapname". This works only if you're already loaded into the map.
  • as of 2.09, which is slated for entering beta at the end of 2020, there'll be integration between DarkRadiant and TDM that allows you to update individual entities ingame, after changing them in DR, without having to reload the map. IIRC it'll also allow for functionality like Dromed's alt-g/alt-e.

For punctual information, I find wiki.thedarkmod.com to be most helpful, for example when wanting to find everything about how to setup various doors and behaviours related to them. The DR userguide is more for learning about using the program's interface.

For broader intros to mapping, it's definitely recommended to look at the video mapping workshops by veteran mappers (I know that those by Springheel or Sotha are detailed and up to date), which walk the viewer through the creation of a small mission. There's also a text-based tutorial on the wiki by Fidcal, but it's very old by now and multiple procedures in it have become much easier nowadays.

I actually have 2 specific questions which have been on my mind for quite some time. I have no experience when it comes to 3D graphics, level design etc. so probably my logic when it comes to this stuff is yet underdeveloped.

1. Is there a special tool which one would use for creating a natural looking piece of land with various small dips, peaks, inconsistencies, gaps etc. Anything one would expect to see while walking up a hill or up a path in the forest? Like some sort of ground-modeling tool where to a flat section more polygons are added to curve, reshape, lift and lower it.

2. How would one go about creating a fake landscape around an open area? Mostly I'm thinking about landscape bitmap of a sort? Is there any mapping video or anything like that where someone attempts a creation of a more open map where illusion of depth would be necessary?

36 minutes ago, mattmkb said:

1. Is there a special tool which one would use for creating a natural looking piece of land with various small dips, peaks, inconsistencies, gaps etc. Anything one would expect to see while walking up a hill or up a path in the forest? Like some sort of ground-modeling tool where to a flat section more polygons are added to curve, reshape, lift and lower it.

Modelling with that level of detail is not really possible within DarkRadiant, but could be achieved quite easily in Blender, perhaps using sculpting or texture painting. I presume it can also be done just as easily in other 3D applications like LightWave, Maya etc, although I have no personal experience with these.

2. How would one go about creating a fake landscape around an open area? Mostly I'm thinking about landscape bitmap of a sort? Is there any mapping video or anything like that where someone attempts a creation of a more open map where illusion of depth would be necessary?

It sounds like you are looking for a custom skybox.

1 hour ago, mattmkb said:

Is there any mapping video or anything like that where someone attempts a creation of a more open map where illusion of depth would be necessary?

I'm not aware of a tutorial, but the mission Exhumed has a more open skybox that gives the illusion of extending the landscape into the horizon beyond the map's boundaries.

In the Newbie DarkRadiant Questions you have a higher chance that people will read it. On the other hand, in this thread you have all your questions in one place and can find the answers more quickly, if you want to reread them. It is up to you, what you prefer. You can try to ask them here (maybe change the name of the thread, so people see that it is a more general questions thread and not only about launching missions) and if you don't get answers here, you can ask again the Newbie thread.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:43 AM, mattmkb said:

1.  That sounds like you're talking about patches.  I talk about using patches in my mapping series...somewhere near the end when I talk about outdoor areas.  They're not complicated.
2.  That sounds like a skybox.   You could do a search for that term.  Using premade ones is easy; creating your own is more challenging.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:43 PM, mattmkb said:

1. Is there a special tool which one would use for creating a natural looking piece of land with various small dips, peaks, inconsistencies, gaps etc.

18 minutes ago, Springheel said:

1.  That sounds like you're talking about patches.  I talk about using patches in my mapping series...somewhere near the end when I talk about outdoor areas.  They're not complicated.

Expanding on this, you can:
1) Create a patch with a generous number of rows and columns
2) Open the Patch Inspector (shift s), enable fixed subdivisions and set to i.e. horizontal 5 and vertical 5.
2) At the top, Patch > Bulge Patch. This randomly deforms the patch. May need to manually drag down some of the vertices again to avoid knife edges.

If you keep posting into this thread Id suggest renaming it to i.e. mattmkb's Mapping Thread.