The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.9.0 pre-release testing

Here's the DR 2.9.0pre3 build for every interested mapper to test. It might not be obvious from the change log, but this build went through a huge architectural change under the hood, that's why I'd like to some feedback about what might have been broken along the way. And there's a few nice features in this new version, so I hope this makes your mapping life better.

Let me also say that I appreciate the fact that DarkRadiant's development team has been much more active the last few months - I think we had 4 contributors to this release.

There's a new game connection plugin available, which is working with the latest TDM development release, see this thread for more information.

For more things that have changed or fixed, see the list below.

Download Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qop2WqI91KilSHavYlfvRws-xwdG0P24/view?usp=sharing
Download Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t7wdsBCU38gEfLmGmGm8OCdE8Zlib1OY/view?usp=sharing

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.8.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, here's the summary:

#5346: Feature: TDM Game Connection Plugin
#5357: Feature: Add search function in Skin Chooser
#5235: Feature: Highlight a model in orthoview and its selected in 'map info' inspector
#5345: Feature: Display Estimated Duration of Sound Clip
#5342: Feature: Display which file an entity or soundshader is defined in
#5306: Feature: Add a 'Reload Sounds' options to the menu
#5310: Feature: Add a way to teleport to coordinates (via Console Command or Python)
#5288: Feature: Exit search field in child window by pressing escape
#5277: Feature: Improve usability of class selection in Difficulty editor
#5264: Feature: Add `monster_player_clip_wood` to list of filtered clip textures
#5358: Fixed: Skin listing issues in Skin Chooser
#5356: Fixed: Moving a clipper point always sets position on one axis back to 0
#5263: Fixed: "Model Scaler" doesn't handle model duplication correctly (or perhaps consistently)
#5348: Fixed: Clipper cursor persists when switching out of clipper mode
#5347: Fixed: Crash if pressing backspace while drawing a brush
#5368: Fixed: Console warning in Linux when loading libradiantcore.so: undefined symbol: RegisterModule
#5344: Fixed: Change CSG Merge such that only brushes sharing the same parent entity get merged
#5336: Fixed: Crash when using CSG Merge on brushes that are entities
#5290: Fixed: 'Delete property' is greyed out when multiple properties are selected
#5248: Fixed: Difficulty editor doesn't show classnames when typing instead of selecting them from the dropdown list
#5289: Fixed: Particle editor creates .prt files incorrectly
#5337: Fixed: Crash in PrefabChooser dialog when using type-search while a prefab is loaded
#5269: Fixed: Escaped EOLN in entity spawnarg is turned into real EOLN
#5275: Fixed: DarkRadiant will not show DDS textures that are stored uncompressed (non-DXT)
#5278: Fixed: Linux config files should go under ".config"
#5276: Fixed: Render mode icons are difficult to distinguish in certain environments
#5246: Fixed: Texture Tool / UV Tool grid size
#5243: Fixed: DR lockup/freeze while cleaning up brushes using subtract/cutting tools.

#5200: Coding: Unit testing infrastructure
#5343: Coding: Unit Test Infrastructure Phase 2
#5361: Coding: Unit testing infrastructure (Linux)
#5180: Coding: Simplify Commands and Event registration
#5338: Coding: Split Camera code into model and UI
#5231: Coding: Extract Radiant core such that it can be instantiated from outside the main executable
#5367: Build: Need better Python detection in configure.ac

Changes since 2.9.0pre1

#5370: Fixed: Cubic clip button doesn't toggle.
#5380: Fixed: Select Group Parts not working
#5381: Fixed: Linux: Can't copy / paste items, no clipboard module attached
#5366: Fixed: Binaries are installed differently by Automake in openSUSE and requires lib->lib64 symlink
#5374: Fixed: Ctrl+C attempts to save the map, then crashes DarkRadiant
#5372: Fixed: Orthoview brushes sometimes display as black
#5379: Fixed: Log file not created in Windows
#5375: Fixed: Build failure in Mageia 8

Changes since 2.9.0pre2

#5371: Fixed: Fit Texture does not work if either Horiz. or Vert. scale are set to 0
#5405: Fixed: Darkradiant occasionally freezes when browsing sounds
#5401: Fixed: DR not always remembering window size and position between sessions
#5402: Fixed: Model browser renders 3D previews for past models, overlaps current selection
#5399: Fixed: Conversation Editor won't add new actors, entity names are seen as null
#5407: Fixed: Entity Inspector always shows "Primitve 0" for any selected worldspawn primitive
#5397: Fixed: DarkRadiant crashes when using Map - Find Brush
#5387: Fixed: segfault when applying a new material to a brush
#5391: Fixed: On/off Selection issue with layers window
#5115: Fixed: Export patches: .lwo loses smooth shading
#5373: Fixed: segfault when selecting a material in the media/textures list
#5383: Fixed: Reported Polycount for LWO models is one too high

Thanks for testing, as always!

The button that clips the distance view is stuck on "ON". I don't use it, so I don't know the official name. Objects in the distance are getting clipped off.

It needs to toggle ON/OFF.

Edit: Since I can't work w/o the toggle, I'm reverting back to the previous DR version.

I'll start testing 9 again when this gets fixed.

52 minutes ago, grayman said:

Woops.

Seems I'm unable to revert back to version 8. DR reports a startup error, and even uninstalling fails to help.

So I'm dead in the water until a fixed 9 becomes available.

Rats.

That sounds like your Windows user-specific configuration for DR might be glitched, would be worth going to /name of your user/AppData/Roaming/DarkRadiant/ and deleting or submitting your user.xml as part of a bug report.

4 hours ago, grayman said:

The button that clips the distance view is stuck on "ON". I don't use it, so I don't know the official name. Objects in the distance are getting clipped off.

You mean the button "Cubic clip the camera view" on the main horizontal toolbar (4th from the left, next to "Change views")?

I had no idea that button even existed. In my tests the button does toggle, but all it seems to do is enable/disable the clip plane buttons in the camera view (which move the far clip plane closer or further away). The clipping still happens, which makes some sense because as I understand it, it's not actually possible to render without both near and far clip planes. I wonder how this button was supposed to work — does "disabling" clipping just move the far clip plane to a really far distance?

Can you get the results you want by enabling this button, then using the "Far clip plane out" button on the camera view toolbar to move the far clip plane to a much greater distance?

EDIT: I looked at the code and I think I can see the problem. In the previous version, toggling this button (or its associated RKEY_ENABLE_FARCLIP) acted as an override: if toggled off, the far clip plane is locked at 32768, otherwise it is set from the camera view buttons. In the new radiantcore/camera/Camera.cpp that 32768 value is retained as a default initialiser for _farClipPlane, but subsequent toggling of RKEY_ENABLE_FARCLIP does not affect the value or do anything other than enable/disable the distance buttons.

Yes, the cubic clip button. Didn't know what it was called when I posted the problem.

Pushing the far clip plane out allows me to work, but the problem remains that the clip button isn't toggling on and off.

Once greebo comments, I'll post a bug report.

Thanks.

I can confirm the button is not working, please open the issue report, I'll try to look into it later in the day.

About reverting: did you use the installer or the portable version? When using the installer, you might need to uninstall the 2.9.0 version and check if anything is left behind in your installation folder (and remove any remnants from there, especially .dll files or subfolders).

If it's not the installation folder which causes the problems, then it's most likely the user settings which might be incompatible with the previous version. I'd try renaming the user.xml in your Appdata\roaming\darkradiant folder first, then try input.xml next. If all doesn't help, clearing or moving the entire DarkRadiant settings folder might be the last resort.

Pretty much hosed now.

I uninstalled v9, then cleared out the DarkRadiant installation by hand.

Now when I install v9 using the installer, I get an unhandled exception when trying to load a map. The map stops loading when I choose to ignore the exception, so I'm hosed.

I tried the portable version, but got stuck in a circular attempt at unpacking a 7zip file. Dead end. Not sure what the problem is.

I've uninstalled any DR remnants, and am trying to reinstall v8.

I'm trying to persevere with getting v8 running again. 🤨

I renamed user.html and installed v8.

I brought it up and had to reset the Game/Project folders.

I brought up the Key Shortcuts window and asked it to reset to defaults.

I successfully loaded a map.

I exited and brought DR back up again.

I tried opening a different map.

What does "tokenizer: no more tokens" mean when trying to load a map?

When moving forward, there is an ability to cause the camera to zoom forward at a faster speed.

How do I set a key to do that?

For me, I was using the right mouse button. A touch to that and the camera would leap forward.

Now, using default Key Shortcut settings, the camera stops moving.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, grayman said:

What does "tokenizer: no more tokens" mean when trying to load a map?

Seems I had that problem in 2010:

After cleaning up some brushes in one area, I went to work on a second area for a few days. When I went back to load the first area again, I got an error message saying "Failed at entity 0. DefTokeniser: no more tokens" while loading the 47th primitive.

When I try to dmap it, it says in the console "ERROR: C:/map/file/location. Line 613: New line inside string" and nothing happens.

Have you tried loading your map in a texteditor and looking at the offending line?

The problem was that primitive 49 (on line 613) had 4 lines full of ÿ's. So I just took out the whole primitive.

Thread: DefTokeniser: no more tokens

I'm sorry that you go through all that hassle, I can't quite imagine how and where all of this is going wrong. Not sure what goes wrong with the .7z file, I'll double-check the file I uploaded, maybe it's been corrupted (edit: nope, file is ok).

3 hours ago, grayman said:

When moving forward, there is an ability to cause the camera to zoom forward at a faster speed.

How do I set a key to do that?

The commands are called "CamIncreaseMoveSpeed" and "CamDecreaseMoveSpeed", default keys are the Numpad + and - keys.

Regarding the map loading error: if you keep getting that message, I'd be interested in that .map file to see where it failed to parse it.

Do I get this right that you got DR 2.8.0 up and running again incl. shortcuts? The shortcuts are stored in the input.xml file in your user folder, btw. So if you want to revert the settings to the defaults, either close DR and remove that file, or go to the edit shortcuts dialog and select the button to reset them to default.

(From 2.8.0 to 2.9.0 some command names have been changed (especially the camera movement keys), but I added compatibility mappings in 2.9.0 such that people don't lose any shortcut bindings when installing the newer version. But I can't make the older 2.8.0 understand the new names, so going back to 2.8.0 from 2.9.0 will break some of the key bindings.)

@Dragofer:

For the tokeniser message, all I get is an Error window with

"DefTokeniser: no more tokens"

in it.

No reference to *.map line numbers.

Edit: The map is corrupt. It only has the world entity in it. Everything else has flown away.

Going to check on backups.

Edit 2: Backups are on a different computer that's not fired up atm. Will check in the future. Don't need this particular map for now.

The commands are called "CamIncreaseMoveSpeed" and "CamDecreaseMoveSpeed", default keys are the Numpad + and - keys.

What I'm used to doing is moving forward at a base speed, then tapping the right mouse key to get a burst of speed. Useful for traversing a map for a second or two. Tapping again killed the burst, and the camera reverted to its base speed.

The two commands cited above increase/decrease the camera base speed, which is a different thing.

Atm, I'm back to having a working v8 (other than the missing camera speed burst noted above).

Though I've always jumped on DR new version testing, I'm going to stay out of the v9 testing. I'm on a tight schedule and can't risk downtime, and I don't understand all that happened this morning.

Sorry. Hopefully there'll be plenty of testing from others.

30 minutes ago, grayman said:

What I'm used to doing is moving forward at a base speed, then tapping the right mouse key to get a burst of speed. Useful for traversing a map for a second or two. Tapping again killed the burst, and the camera reverted to its base speed.

Hm, I don't recall coding such kind of feature, but DR is a wondrous world on its own. :D Can't quite tell at the moment what would make the DR behave like this. You don't refer to the "Jump to Object" mouse command, do you?

26 minutes ago, grayman said:

Though I've always jumped on DR new version testing, I'm going to stay out of the v9 testing. I'm on a tight schedule and can't risk downtime

That's totally acceptable, of course. Thanks for trying nonetheless. Let's hope we got more people attempting the portable version, at least.

With those problems that stem from DR sharing the same user config folder throughout all versions, I was pondering whether there was need to have a switch or something to let a truly portable DR store its user settings alongside the application instead of the system-wide app data user folder. This would make testing of new version less risky in terms of bombing the config when something is changing between versions, but it also makes it much harder to discover problems with existing settings during upgrade.

1 hour ago, greebo said:

With those problems that stem from DR sharing the same user config folder throughout all versions, I was pondering whether there was need to have a switch or something to let a truly portable DR store its user settings alongside the application instead of the system-wide app data user folder. This would make testing of new version less risky in terms of bombing the config when something is changing between versions, but it also makes it much harder to discover problems with existing settings during upgrade.

One option would be to move to something more like what Blender does, where the overall config directory is divided into version-specific subfolders which contain settings for each version. So DR version 2.08 would store its settings in $HOME/.config/darkradiant/2.08 (or Windows equivalent), then the next version in $HOME/.config/darkradiant/2.09 etc.

This would mean some additional code required to handle upgrades (i.e. if there isn't a 2.09 subdirectory, create it, then copy the existing settings from the highest existing version directory), but ought to completely solve the problem with people needing to wipe their settings after downgrading from a beta version.

The local settings idea is a good approach too, for the portable app at least, and would allow someone to have an installation of DR on a USB drive and keep all of their custom settings no matter which machine they ran it on.

2 hours ago, grayman said:

1 hour ago, greebo said:

Hm, I don't recall coding such kind of feature, but DR is a wondrous world on its own. :D Can't quite tell at the moment what would make the DR behave like this. You don't refer to the "Jump to Object" mouse command, do you?

I tested this in Linux with the released version and it works! If you are holding down the arrow key to move forward and you click the right mouse button, the speed suddenly increases. But I think it might just be an accident. Perhaps using a mouse button does something to the event processing which means that the arrow key motion events are suddenly processed faster?

Yeah, in all these years I never tried to press the RMB while moving around. 😆 The camera actually moves faster that way, but it also releases the mouse capture and leaves the free move mode. Still a mystery to me what might cause the speed up.

I assume this must have been due to the lost keybindings. I think it will start working again once you reset the bindings to default, in either version.

At least I have the default key binds and it's working for me, and it appears to be working for OrbWeaver too.