The Dark Mod Forums

Bugs I'm encountering in latest Git master

On 1/17/2021 at 11:44 PM, MirceaKitsune said:

Latest Git master has a few new issues. First some maps will instantly crash DR when opened: This happens because of that map's map.darkradiant file, it goes away when the following line is manually deleted from it (the MapProperties section):

KeyValue { "LastShaderClipboardMaterial" "textures/common/caulk" }

I don't have time the next few days, can you please push this to the bugtracker?

Latest Git master fails to compile with a build error. Noticed while trying to test an issue I have a feedback on.

[ 49%] Building CXX object radiantcore/CMakeFiles/radiantcore.dir/map/Map.cpp.o
/home/mircea/Games/Quake/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant_GIT/radiantcore/map/Map.cpp: In member function ‘void map::Map::loadPrefabAt(const ArgumentList&)’:
/home/mircea/Games/Quake/TheDarkMod/DarkRadiant_GIT/radiantcore/map/Map.cpp:661:76: error: ‘GlobalGrid’ was not declared in this scope
  661 |         auto prefabCenter = accumulator.getBounds().getOrigin().getSnapped(GlobalGrid().getGridSize());
      |                                                                            ^~~~~~~~~~
make[2]: *** [radiantcore/CMakeFiles/radiantcore.dir/build.make:1577: radiantcore/CMakeFiles/radiantcore.dir/map/Map.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:785: radiantcore/CMakeFiles/radiantcore.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:149: all] Error 2

Thanks. I'm still not seeing the conversation editor in latest Git master from today though, looked closely in all of the menus to be sure: Could I be missing something, or perhaps there's still a problem that keeps the plugin from being detected and appearing?

• 5 months later...

Picking up DarkRadiant after a while, I found a few new issues I keep running into constantly. Here are their reports:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5653
https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5654
https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5655
https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5657

Edited by MirceaKitsune
Added a new crash to the list

6 hours ago, datiswous said:

0005654:  Have you tried resizing that window? I found that sometimes not all things in a window are shown because this is outside the size of that window.

Good suggestion! Just tried that now and noticed that once resizing the window even by 1 pixel, the missing section reappears. Of course the issue reoccurs once clicking another two entries so I need to drag it around every two clicks.

• 3 months later...

Big bug in latest DarkRadiant Git master branch: Brushes are disappearing when you rotate them or use space to duplicate. If you keep the brush selected, the boundary markers in the 2D viewports indicate the now invisible selection is stretching out to infinity.

This must have been introduced sometime this or last week: I updated and compiled DR roughly a week ago and don't believe I was getting this issue, it started occurring after I did so again last night.

58 minutes ago, greebo said:

Reproduction steps?

I can duplicate and rotate brushes fine on my end. Have you tried a clean checkout and recompile?

Interesting. I do a "git clean -dfx" and use a fresh build directory so it should be as fresh as it gets. Testing again on the map I noticed it with, I can see it's only affecting some brushes, like a visportal for a specific door.

I made a copy of the map leaving only the visportal in: Open this map in DR, select the vis brush at the center, then use the rotate Z shortcut button. You should notice the brush disappear and the selection marker stretch out to infinity.

test.map

Screenshot_20211002_200621.thumb.png.470acf5d5c02c5dc1abed20490d405ce.png

Edited by MirceaKitsune

It came along with all the changes I did in the textool branch (initially introduced Sept 16th), which were merged a few days ago, that's why nobody noticed up till now.

It's fixed in source now.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned a new brush management system on Discord, they didn't know it was merged yet so they asked if I'm still on Git master and I said yes. Updated and recompiled, can confirm it's fixed and everything seems to be working well and as intended again. Thanks for the quick solution and another great update too!

Unfortunately there's one remaining set of issues left: Texture scaling and rotation are completely broken in the surface inspector, giving random inconsistent results each time the values are changed.

For starters, scale values no longer represent the same thing for rotated textures of uneven proportions. In the two screenshots below I'm selecting two different surfaces, both have the same texture at the same scale and no shift just at different rotations: One is accurately depicted at scale X = 0.125 Y = 0.125, yet the second it appears as scale X = 0.03125 Y = 0.5.

RcdpS5g.png
PJ3btl1.png

The rotate button is itself adding random offsets when used. I have the increment set to 45*, the issue appears to not occur when I set it to 90* so it must be something with uneven angles. When clicking the arrow to rotate that face, it gets rotated by the desired amount, however an inexplicable offset is also applied to the texture. In the second screenshot below you can see the face gets a horizontal shift of 237.813 and a vertical shift of 149.961 for no reason... the shift should remain unchanged, both 0 in this case.

6TombCt.pngLbwl5rV.png

Clicking on the arrows to scale textures is acting up as well: I have my increment set to 0.125, yet when I hit its button the texture doesn't get scaled from 0.25 to 0.125 as desired, instead it goes from 0.25 to 0.22222. On top of that a horizontal shift of 128 is added out of nowhere in this case as well.

8WDSzQ0.pngcbG8pu1.png

Oh man, I so saw this coming.

The inexplicable texture offset can be explained by the rotation being pivoted in the center of the face. Look at the texture tool what it is doing. It rotates around the same spot now, in previous releases it was jumping all over the place, making alignment of rotated faces really tedious. You have to add an offset to the texture matrix to keep the texture at the spot while rotating and scaling.

Thing is, the shift values in the surface inspector are faked all over. Don't pay attention to the shift values in the inspector, they are not telling you anything. You can use the buttons to shift the texture around by some pixels, that's working, but ignore the actual numbers.

I see, so some of it is intentional. I can see this method having its uses, but at the same time it's still making some things a lot harder to work with. Could we have an option in the preferences to get the old functionality please, or perhaps a toggle button in the surface inspector itself?

In any case there's definitely breakage: If I use the rotate button on a surface with a texture of unequal proportions, that texture gets stretched out as you rotate it. This occurs solely by clicking the 45* rotate button twice... simply inputting "90" into the rotation field does the same thing.

NstIp0a.png
w4sMxLv.png

Edited by MirceaKitsune