The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.9.1 released

DarkRadiant 2.9.1 is ready for download.

Maintenance release available: DarkRadiant 2.9.1 fixes a freeze issue that has slipped into the recent 2.9.0 release.

The previous release of DR 2.9.0 includes a large change to DarkRadiant's module architecture, separating UI code from the actual algorithms almost everywhere. Aside from that, most efforts went into bug fixing and stabilisation - with the occasional convenience feature here and there. TDM mappers will like the first incarnation of the TDM Game Connection plugin (usable in TDM 2.09+). It's recommended to prefer this version over any previous release.

Windows and Mac Downloads are available on github: https://github.com/codereader/DarkRadiant/releases/tag/2.9.1 and of course linked from the website https://www.darkradiant.net

Thanks go out to all who helped testing this release!

Please report any bugs or feature requests here in these forums, following these guidelines:

• Bugs (including steps for reproduction) can go directly on the tracker. When unsure about a bug/issue, feel free to ask.
  • If you run into a crash, please record a crashdump: Crashdump Instructions
  • Feature requests should be suggested (and possibly discussed) here in these forums before they may be added to the tracker.

Changes since 2.9.0

• Fixed: DR freezes when saving from the "Exit DarkRadiant" dialogue
  • Fixed: Crash when "Load last map at startup" is activated

Changes since 2.8.0

• Feature: TDM Game Connection Plugin
  • Feature: Add search function in Skin Chooser
  • Feature: Highlight a model in orthoview and its selected in 'map info' inspector
  • Feature: Display Estimated Duration of Sound Clip
  • Feature: Display which file an entity or soundshader is defined in
  • Feature: Add a 'Reload Sounds' options to the menu
  • Feature: Add a way to teleport to coordinates (via Console Command or Python)
  • Feature: Exit search field in child window by pressing escape
  • Feature: Improve usability of class selection in Difficulty editor
  • Feature: Add `monster_player_clip_wood` to list of filtered clip textures
  • Fixed: Skin listing issues in Skin Chooser
  • Fixed: Moving a clipper point always sets position on one axis back to 0
  • Fixed: "Model Scaler" doesn't handle model duplication correctly (or perhaps consistently)
  • Fixed: Clipper cursor persists when switching out of clipper mode
  • Fixed: Crash if pressing backspace while drawing a brush
  • Fixed: Console warning in Linux when loading libradiantcore.so: undefined symbol: RegisterModule
  • Fixed: Change CSG Merge such that only brushes sharing the same parent entity get merged
  • Fixed: Crash when using CSG Merge on brushes that are entities
  • Fixed: 'Delete property' is greyed out when multiple properties are selected
  • Fixed: Difficulty editor doesn't show classnames when typing instead of selecting them from the dropdown list
  • Fixed: Particle editor creates .prt files incorrectly
  • Fixed: Crash in PrefabChooser dialog when using type-search while a prefab is loaded
  • Fixed: Escaped EOLN in entity spawnarg is turned into real EOLN
  • Fixed: DarkRadiant will not show DDS textures that are stored uncompressed (non-DXT)
  • Fixed: Linux config files should go under ".config"
  • Fixed: Render mode icons are difficult to distinguish in certain environments
  • Fixed: Texture Tool / UV Tool grid size
  • Fixed: DR lockup/freeze while cleaning up brushes using subtract/cutting tools.
  • Fixed: Fit Texture does not work if either Horiz. or Vert. scale are set to 0
  • Fixed: DR not always remembering window size and position between sessions
  • Fixed: Model browser renders 3D previews for past models, overlaps current selection
  • Fixed: Conversation Editor won't add new actors, entity names are seen as null (Linux)
  • Fixed: On/off Selection issue with layers window
  • Fixed: Export patches: .lwo loses smooth shading
  • Fixed: Reported Polycount for LWO models is one too high
  • Coding: Unit testing infrastructure

The list of changes can be found on the our bugtracker changelog.

Have fun mapping!

Thank you for the release!

When built with wxgtk 3.1.4, I get this:

$ darkradiant
darkradiant: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/darkradiant/libwxutil-2.9.0.so: undefined symbol: _ZN12wxWindowBase19SetVirtualSizeHintsEiiii, version WXU_3.1

Will try with 3.0.5.

As with the previous release, DR runs when built against wxgtk 3.0.5 and the Textures browser refreshes properly with mouse scrolling. But the 'Media' browser does not show a texture preview until its frame is re-sized.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

3 hours ago, peter_spy said:

This happens in win7, maybe the 'open recent map on start' option is to blame?

Edit: yeah, I switched the loadLastMap to 0 and it works.

Screwit, this one again. This bug seems to creep in at every release.

It's a minor thing, although now it seems like the whole feature isn't working at all (i.e. when I reenable it via DR, it crashes again, every time). Maybe it should be disabled altogether, if it causes so many problems? I got used to having it around, but I'll live ;)

I was just at the DarkRadiant website (about 4pm EST), and the link for the Ubuntu Linux Debian package goes to a page that, apparently, does NOT have version 2.9.0 - at least, I can't find it on the page: https://packages.debian.org/sid/darkradiant

Can anyone help? Either point me to a webpage that has version 2.9.0 for Linux or alert the developers to update the download page (it's just an oversight, I'm sure).

Thanks.

Not an oversight, it just takes its time. The Debian package is maintained by the Debian Games Group, I think coldtobi on this forums is the one who always upgraded it. It's not always in sync with the release packages available for download on Github.

@OrbWeaver also used to have a private PPA, maybe he can share his thoughts.

• greebo changed the title to DarkRadiant 2.9.1 released

Thank you, GREEBO (and I imagine, co-developers?), for all your hard work and also for having the patience to help a newbie/noob with his question. Sincerely. Years ago I got into Enemy Territory and Urban Terror, and made a number of (simple) maps, some of which were used on a few public servers. Then Life got in the way (as usual). Now, I'm trying to get back into level design. Very rusty... I tried GtkRadiant 1.6 - it's a good upgrade to version 1.4 (what I used to use) - but now suffers even more from a certain scalability problem... There are (I'm guessing) about twice as many textures and shaders available and that ship currently with UrT4.3 - and unfortunately the relationship between shaders and textures is even more confused than it was, since the texture directories and shader files are completely haphazard. Result: I spend, like, an hour just looking for any given texture/shader every time I open the menu. (I want, for example, a door, and I end up looking through dozens (and dozens) of directories...) I'm too old to EFF with that kind of silliness and I have too little patience nowadays. I tried other editors, but DarkRadiant is quick and polished, and I want to re-learn level design with it. Hence when I found out a new version of DR was available recently I was overly-eager to get it (still am, lol).

Another question, related to DarkRadiant, if anyone can help me... DR 2.8 is crashing whenever I reload resources or even just clicking through the Media Browser. The log file doesn't help. I can load some textures, but soon the app crashes. I'm using Linux Mint (Ubuntu) 20 on an 64-bit AMD machine; the machine itself is plenty powerful to handle the work load. (Maybe this bug is already fixed in version 2.9.1?)

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, IZaRTaX said:

Thank for the release,

I noticed that pan camera view is broken, basically in the older version when you use the pan camera view it's CTRL+RMB and you move down and up, here in 2.9.1 it moving backward and forward like you hit CTRL+SHIFT+RMB but inverted 🤔.

Unfortunately I think that you have to set the key mappings to default, I did, to make everything work again, then edit the keys again to your liking. In my case fortunately I add not modified them that much but for those that did, I'm sure this is not something they are happy with.  

Edited by HMart

14 minutes ago, HMart said:

Unfortunately I think that you have to set the key mappings to default, I did, to make everything work again, then edit the keys again to your liking. In my case fortunately I add not modified them that much but for those that did, I'm sure this is not something they are happy with.  

Even if I remove key mapping, put them to default I still have the issue in 2.9.1 version.

2.8.0 working good I don't have that kind of problem.

I think I can see the difference between 2.8.0 and 2.9.0.

2.8.0: With Ctrl held down moving the mouse left/right will pan make the camera strafe left/right, moving up/down will move the cam up/down. Holding down Ctrl+Shift moving up/down will move the camera forward/back.

2.9.0 With Ctrl held down only left/right and forward/back are working, up/down is not working.

Can you open a tracker entry? I'll try to restore that behaviour for the next release.

7 hours ago, greebo said:

I think I can see the difference between 2.8.0 and 2.9.0.

2.8.0: With Ctrl held down moving the mouse left/right will pan make the camera strafe left/right, moving up/down will move the cam up/down. Holding down Ctrl+Shift moving up/down will move the camera up/down.

2.9.0 With Ctrl held down only left/right and forward/back are working, up/down is not working.

Can you open a tracker entry? I'll try to restore that behaviour for the next release.

Yes that's it! Better said than my shitty english,😄 I reported it 👍

5 hours ago, PranQster said:

With the latest git, Mageia 8 reverted to both the Texture browser and Media browser being non-refreshing. This was with wxgtk 3.0.5.

This is something that is observed in all Linux distros by now. I'm curious if this has been introduced in 2.9.x recently? I have to check out earlier sources and see whether this is something new.

• greebo unpinned this topic