The Dark Mod Forums

The Game Awards 2020

STiFU

The votings for the game awards 2020 are starting. So, what's your game of the year?

Mine is clearly Doom Eternal. On highest difficulty, this game gives you the same feeling of acomplishment as Dark Souls and the likes. This FPS-game just rocks and rolls, both due to gameplay and soundtrack (obiously I also voted for Doom Eternal in the best soundtrack category)! Regarding the other nominees:

• Yes, TLOU 2 was an interesting experience, but game of the year? NO!
  • Hades: The game would've been better had it been a true rogue-like. The way it is currently implemented, to much grind is involved, so that it fails to motivate me on the long-term.
  • FF VII: Haven't played it, yet, as I am waiting for the PC release, but I have a feeling it might be a strong Game of the Year contender, too.
  • Ghost of Tsushima and Animal Crossing: Don't understand why these would deserve the spot.

Scrolling further down, I see that "Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order" (technically a 2019 game) is nominated for best action-adventure. That's a definitive yes from me, as I really loved that game, although I think its chances to win are rather slim next to the other nominees. 

6 minutes ago, cabalistic said:

I've only played TLOU2 and like 30 mins of Hades from those nominees. Good games, but GOTY? My personal GOTY would be Half-Life: Alyx, by a mile, I actually have to think hard what other games I even played from this year 🤔

Alyx definitely gonna win VR game of the year!!

If you haven't played Doom Eternal yet and like old-school shooters at least a little bit, you should definitely give it a shot. 🙂

TLOU2 is a labor of love when it comes to art direction and audiovisual quality, but IMO game direction, pacing, and script lower the overall score by a lot.

I actually finished Hades fairly recently, and it's a really balanced package, all elements are top-notch and working in harmony there. I don't like the heavy roguelike elements, even though it's quite cleverly justified in the story. The game is super addictive though, it definitely has this "just one more run!" feeling.

Edited by peter_spy

I'm going to be dead honest. No money and time in the nearest time for any of these games but I'll just vote for whatever I would like to play potentially once upon a time. Stuff like Ghost of Tsushima, Ori and the Will of the Wisps (looks like those Amanita games titles), Spiritfarer (looks amazing), Among Us (was a pleasant surprise to be so simplistic and free on mobile, didn't play it either though a friend invited, no idea why it isn't free on PC).

No idea who the streamers and online gaming crowd is and can't be bothered to find out. Just voted random for the best looking people lol.

What's the point of the Skinner Box badge leveling thingy? Just to make people press buttons like rats?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

6 hours ago, demagogue said:

Seems somehow overly narrow with only a few nominees, and a few games keep getting repeated in a lot of categories.

What was the name of the indie game that looked like C64 2D where you had to move around words to change the environment?

You mentioned it a few months ago and back then I watched a video, found it cool, but forgot to bookmark it. :(

Edited by JackFarmer

Just scrolled through and there are almost no games that I actually played. Well, currently I wait until games are around 30€ before I buy them, so it is not really surprising. One exception from this rule was Ori and the Will of the Wisps. I found this to be an excellent game.

I am quite surprised how many people here have played Hades. I thought about buying it, but so far have not done so (I have Children of Morta as a rogue lite game, if I have this itch to scratch), but if it is this recommended here, I am really thinking about getting it. I have loved Transistor and Bastion, so if this is of similar quality (which I would expect from Supergiant Games), I get it soon.

1 hour ago, JackFarmer said:

What was the name of the indie game that looked like C64 2D where you had to move around words to change the environment?

You mentioned it a few months ago and back then I watched a video, found it cool, but forgot to bookmark it. :(

Baba is you! That game really messes with your brain, I tell ya.

14 minutes ago, Destined said:

I am quite surprised how many people here have played Hades. I thought about buying it, but so far have not done so (I have Children of Morta as a rogue lite game, if I have this itch to scratch), but if it is this recommended here, I am really thinking about getting it. I have loved Transistor and Bastion, so if this is of similar quality (which I would expect from Supergiant Games), I get it soon.

There actually was just one recommendation in this thread. :D I for one didn't care for it too much, although I like its style. I was also a huge fan of bastion and transistor, so I had high hopes for Hades, but for me, it got boring very quickly as it does not offer a lot of diversity. If you compare that to a game like dead cells, where you have tons of biomes (rather than just 4), non-linear progression through a subset of those biomes (rather than simple linear progression through 4) and fully randomized levels (rather than a few designed fighting stages), you can objectively see the lack of diversity. This and the fact that I consistently got to the final boss from the 7th run onwards, made this game really repetitive. At that point, I felt like the game was artificially holding me back, as I hadn't grinded enough yet to unlock all the abilities and therefore couldn't beat the final boss yet, which is why I said above that I'd prefer actual rogue-like mechanics in this game.

That being said, I was still briefly addicted to the game, so I can probably recommend the game after all, if you can get it at a discount. I got it on Epic store for 4€ as I still had a 10 € coupon about to expire and the game was already discounted to 14€ at that time. For 4 €, it was definitely worth it. :D

7 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

That would be Baba is You. Great puzzle game!

Edit: Aha, should have read the further posts. Still a great puzzle game.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...

So, TLOU2 won pretty much the whole show. Considering the controversial reception of the game by players and game journalists alike, I think the Game of the Year award is definitely not deserved. Best direction, maybe even best narrative, ok, but Game of the Year? There we multiple better games in my opinion.

I am also a bit disappointed that Doom Eternal didn't even win Best Action Game, leaving Doom with no Award at all, which is outrageous in my opinion. Such an excellent game! Hades won this category instead, which is a bit understandable when you look at the Hype this game generated, but I still think Doom is better overall. Also, Hades won (deservedly so) Best Indie Game.

I am also a bit sad that Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order did not win Best Action Adventure. I guess both Doom and Star Wars share the same problem that they just have been release too early in the year, so peoples minds are not buzzed about them anymore.

Here is the list of winners:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_Awards_2020#Video_games

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I totally get what you're saying. It's pretty messed up that some people feel the need to resort to hateful language just because they don't like a game. But, at the same time, I think it's important to remember that not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you. And that's totally okay. Speaking of opinions, have you ever tried playing online games that pay real money? I actually stumbled upon an article the other day that listed a bunch of different games you can play and earn some cash on the side. At first, I was skeptical, but I decided to give it a shot and was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up making.

Edited by Gerborant777