The Dark Mod Forums

I would like to carefully place this here.

Filizitas

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. Especially impressive that you did all that on your own. :)

The lantern still looks like a flash light though, you might want to change that (if you haven't already considered that yourself). It should light up the area 360° around the player, not just shine forward.

• Like 1

Looks good so far. I have couple of questions. Are you programming with C++ ? Did you know how to program before you started this project? Do you have a sound propagation system, like doors blocking sound etc. Is it something that's vanilla Unreal is capable of or does one need to code that in?

• Like 1

It's only a model...

6 hours ago, chakkman said:

Very nice. Especially impressive that you did all that on your own. :)

The lantern still looks like a flash light though, you might want to change that (if you haven't already considered that yourself). It should light up the area 360° around the player, not just shine forward.

Alternatively, the inventory icon could be changed to another type of lantern. If you would use a model with a circular opening on one side, this would fit the shape of the light you use. Depends on what kind of light you are looking for. The flash ligh type can be more atmospherical (see Doom 3, where you only have the flash light and cannot use a weapon while using the light).

Ha cool ideas!
I am currently only playing on having the miners lamp to alert enemies instantly.

The lamp darkness mechanic is actually very very cool and optional.
You can just put on the brightness slider and you wouldnt need the lantern anymore.
But someone who loves to immersive themselves will definitly use it.

I am definitly trying to highlight the danger factor!

• Like 2

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

On 11/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, Filizitas said:

If i am shamelessly advertising my project here then please let me know!

I would like to drop you a video of my 11 months project.
You can of course do what ever you want but please keep in mind the following.

I dont actually thing that either thief 1 or 2 or 3 are great games.
I think they are fantastic but i am not into them fully.
I feel like they are too long, unfocussed and i find it a bit to subtle.

I am making my own thing here but i am trying to not derive to heavy of thief.
Please respect my wish todo my own thief.

With love, F.

Hello, Fili. :)

Technically, it's really, really neat for a one-person effort on UE4. I like it.

I hope you replace the TDS music by Eric Brosius later, but it's a good placeholder so far.

Is this more of a personal modding effort for your own enjoyment or are you going a TDM-style route with the project ?

Edited by Petike the Taffer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:05 PM, Filizitas said:

I made more, try with headphones

These torches need some love! 🥺

The real light source is very large, and the occluder is very close to it: the shadows should be blurry as hell. Up to the point that individual shadow edges would be hard to see. I guess it would look just like mild ambient darkening.

With just a light source moving around and ordinary shadows, it looks completely wrong.
It looks like that in TDM, but maybe it can be improved in UE4?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

These torches need some love!

Yeah I noticed that too. Is the animation in the shadows automatic? It looks more like a standard looping animation. If the light flickers, the shadow should do that as well, but not move around like in the video.

Lantern doesn't cast shadows?