The Dark Mod Forums

I would like to carefully place this here.

Filizitas

To be fair modern TDM engine, is not that old, was updated through the years and supports many modern features, I will far to say that in some aspects, it can be made to look almost on par with UE4, with relatively few effort, just by implementing true HDR lighting and PBR, if only having to remake all the texture and materials assets and support old missions, was not such hard roadblocks, imo this would have happened already. :(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Springheel said:

TDM is now older than Thief: The Dark Project was when TDM was first released.

TDM definitely aged waaay better than The Dark Project and The Metal Age or even Deadly Shadows - and will probably age better than Thief 2014 as it is still maintained very well (someone even works on VR compatibility), while the other games are basically forsaken by their creators and bound by heavy intelectual property chains preventing anyone else from adopting them...
Really sad how creators tend to keep their works from improving by enchaining them with the darkest legal sorcery - licenses.

This is looking better and better! The music is fantastic (reminds me a little bit on the dragon theme from GoT). 

0:30 - 0:38 shows good examples on how to break tedious walls with columns and other stuff.

My favourite shot is at running time 1:01 where you have achieved a great contrast between two areas. Plus, that dude in the end is very frightening! Hope you will create even more monsters like that for the final game.

However...it looks like the key in the opening sequence is floating above the surface which seems to be an open book with pages almost the same colour as the furniture below its location. That's a bit strange and should be corrected in case you want to reuse this part of the trailer for later promotion.

Other than that, great work! I pray to the Builder, the Trickster and to the Osterhase that this game will be very good!

Edited by JackFarmer
  • Like 2

FIFthdXXsAY1HJo?format=png&name=900x900

These will be the new difficulty options for Demo 2 - They will have hovers so you can read what they do exactly.

@jackfarmer Yee i had problems with the key scene, i can probably fix that a bit for the demo!
Monsters and Horror will not play a big role in the game even tho survival is a big strength of the game.

Unintentional horror is probably the reason why the horror is this level of good. But i dont care much for it here.

Can we have more scary Zombie Horror maps?

On 1/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, Filizitas said:

It is done. Delightfyl Demo 2!

Thank you for all your support guys.

https://filly-the-owl.itch.io/delightfyl-demo-2

First congratulations and thanks for this nice demo. I have downloaded and tested it, but obviously my system (see signature) is not enough to make it work fluently. While in the tutorials I could still play it, although with a very low FPS, in the mission it became practically unplayable with a fps <5, even with the lowest settings. Pity ☹️

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

2 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

First congratulations and thanks for this nice demo. I have downloaded and tested it, but obviously my system (see signature) is not enough to make it work fluently. While in the tutorials I could still play it, although with a very low FPS, in the mission it became practically unplayable with a fps <5, even with the lowest settings. Pity ☹️

This makes me sad but i am not backing down.
Thanks for your download and thanks for trying!

I am sure you will find a way to play the game, you can also watch the lets play!
Thanks so much :) Have you found your picture in yoanas flat yet? :3 if your fps allow it :(

• Like 1

Yes, until there I could play, thanks for include it. The rooms at the beginning I could play (bad) with $15-20 FPS but after this in the cave it turned into a slideshow.

I think it's not because of the performance of my system, but for some incompatibility of the engine with the AMD Radeon GPU. Because with other games with similar requirements I don't have these problems.
I certainly don't have a gaming PC, but as you can see, it is a laptop with acceptable allround capabilities.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, Filizitas said:

It is done. Delightfyl Demo 2!

Thank you for all your support guys.

How Delightfyl ! :) Keep up the good work, Fili. :)

• Like 1

I would like to share the nearly final patch for demo 2 before going onto steam.
There is currently a weird bug that doesnt return the instance back to 0 when going into the main menu.
But i can fix those in the next patch.
Please note that this update is the biggest so far and i doubt that its gonna end with just these notes.

Going live in a few minutes.

image.png.c6aca6986f9e725fc884f180dc538dfc.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Are you planning on making this early access to have more testers?

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

• 4 weeks later...

So just tried this out on my wife's computer. Ryzen 5800X, 1080ti.

Doesn't run great, usually 80-90fps. (i guess some people think this is great).

Looks really good.

Why the low FOV cap?

Is there a run option?

So far the mantling is good, I like the voice actor also.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

For some reason i didnt get any notice about your reply... entirely missed. Not even a reaction.

For the run question: Play the tutorial :3 The game has six movement speeds.
For the FOV thing: I am just glad i have one and the values i set a fire proof. I will not change that sadly.
About the performance: I have all kinds of people talking about this to me, some get fantastic results and others on 60 to 80fps.
I hope to be able to improve this a bit more but currently it doesnt look good in that regard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filizitas said:

For some reason i didnt get any notice about your reply... entirely missed. Not even a reaction.

For the run question: Play the tutorial :3 The game has six movement speeds.
For the FOV thing: I am just glad i have one and the values i set a fire proof. I will not change that sadly.
About the performance: I have all kinds of people talking about this to me, some get fantastic results and others on 60 to 80fps.
I hope to be able to improve this a bit more but currently it doesnt look good in that regard.

Awesome thanks, I'll go give it a shot.

Also, I'll try it on my main computer with 12700k and 6800XT.

Tried tutorial, figured out running/walking, thanks.

Runs at around 144 fps on my main computer, not bad, but these are very small rooms with just things like boxes in them. I did turn on SSGI because it looks nice, so that's probably adding a lot of overhead.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

5 hours ago, AluminumHaste said:

another reason

What was the first reason?

Also it is actually a serious question. I am curious about this.

Edit: forget about it, it's one sided, because I don't have a screen that supports high refresh rates and not a spectacular gpu.

Edited by datiswous

19 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Also it is actually a serious question. I am curious about this.

My reaction too, but thinking on it there are some legitimate reason to want >60.

For one, I've noticed since I've started configuring all my games to be locked as much as possible at 60 that if I have the frame rate drop down to 30 it causes me immediate motion sickness. But when I was playing at 30 fps on the regular it did not bother me at all. I think my brain has become accustomed to the higher framerate and now interprets anything lower as uncanny. If Aluminum is used to playing at ultra high fps it might be uncomfortable for them to play at a lower rate.

Also higher frame rates legitimately add to the fidelity of the image even if they are not strictly necessary to play the game. The eye can better pick up extra details on moving objects or when panning. Fast moving objects are visible without distortions. And don't forget it makes feedback from any control inputs more responsive (regardless of whether that is necessary to play the game well).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1