The Dark Mod Forums

[SPOILERS] Feature Request: An option for authors for end-of-mission statistics without the happy music/loot image

prjames

This came up with in the TDM Mission Beta Testing forum.

I'm a mission player, not an author, but I'm posting this on behalf of mission author grayman as well as my fellow play-testers. 

William Steele 6: Baleford Museum is the mission we are currently beta-testing. 

Spoiler

The mission ends with the protagonist being gassed by the Hammerites as he attempts to follow one of them; and the next mission (William Steele 7: The Builder's Forge) starts with the protagonist escaping from a prison cell.

Because the ending of William Steele 6 is a unhappy ending, the author chose to end the mission with a "Time Passes" (and "William Steele's Story continues in Mission 7") message and there's no option for the player to get a list of mission statistics (amount of loot collected, the stealth score). 

My request (which I believe grayman agrees with, since grayman suggested I post here) is: Provide a way for mission authors to have an "less than happy ending" option where at the end of a mission, there's an option to go look at the mission statistics, but without the happy music and the imagery of piles of loot.

Side note: Wesp5 noted he has an unofficial patch that provides the ability for players to look at statistics at any time: https://www.moddb.com/members/wesp5/addons/the-dark-mod-unofficial-patch

- prjames

Edited by prjames
(Referenced the wrong mission's ending)
  • Like 1

• nbohr1more changed the title to [SPOILERS] Feature Request: An option for authors for end-of-mission statistics without the happy music/loot image

You can overwrite the mission_complete soundshader and the background image of the statistics GUI - I've done the former for Down by the Riverside

mission_complete				//overwrites stock
{
	editor_displayFolder river/meta

volume 5
	sound/ambient/environmental/weather_wind01.ogg
}

This won't be suitable for campaigns, however, because as far as I'm aware there's no way to change such things on a mission-by-mission basis (especially without making "illegal" edits of internal GUI files), only all or nothing. Got a bugtracker opened for that.

• Like 1

As the refactoring in 5323, there would be option to skip success screen completely. Although it probably won't work for campaigns.
Also there would be option to replace music/background for success screen.

The music along can already be overriden, although the approach cited by @Dragofer is not the best one. Better find this text in mainmenu_custom_defs.gui, uncomment it and set the sound shader you want:

// Uncomment this to override the default mission success sound
//#undef MM_MISSION_SUCCESS_SOUND_CMD
//#define MM_MISSION_SUCCESS_SOUND_CMD "music mission_complete;"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I need to use the alternate mission success method. To test it, I set up a copy of the startmap FM (but with objectives simplified). I can get my alternative to play OK.

BUT...

Only if I use the console "map" command to launch it. Otherwise, if I do the launch through the main menu, the mission complete sound plays briefly, say 1/2 second, then the main menu music supersedes it!

If I revert to the standard "mission complete" music, I see the same thing. Works fine launched with "map". If begun through the main menu, there's the kettle drums, but cut off before getting to the bing bong bing tones.

Anyone else seeing this problem with startmap or their FMs?

I should have specified I'm using the mainmenu_custom_defs.gui method under 2.08. But since the problem arises with the stock mission-complete sound and no mainmenu_cutoms_defs.gui locally defined, the solution would seem to lie elsewhere.