The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Podcast IAL - Looking for TDM guests

Supremcee

I've been involved in creating and expanding TDM up until 2012, and I've been working on DarkRadiant for the past 14 years (but DR might not be that interesting for a Thief-themed podcast). Anyway, I'm not a native speaker, and I've been focusing on the technical aspects of the mod - when it comes to game design or overall questions about what drove the team, I think Eric @Springheel or Tim @New Horizonmight be better picks. I'm definitely around if anybody has questions about the first 6 years of TDM though.

• Like 1

I will be looking forward to this episode! I've listened to a few IAL episodes and they're always enjoyable. I second peter_spy and greebo's recommendations but would probably add Grayman to the list of authors as well. I think Duzenko and cabalistic probably have a good handle on the inner workings of the mod as well.

• Like 3

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

10 hours ago, greebo said:

I've been involved in creating and expanding TDM up until 2012, and I've been working on DarkRadiant for the past 14 years (but DR might not be that interesting for a Thief-themed podcast). Anyway, I'm not a native speaker, and I've been focusing on the technical aspects of the mod - when it comes to game design or overall questions about what drove the team, I think Eric @Springheel or Tim @New Horizonmight be better picks. I'm definitely around if anybody has questions about the first 6 years of TDM though.

thank you for your fast reply,so you as a guest would be perfect actually, it's always the best way to experience the first steps from someone who was involved at that time. You wouldn't be the first non native english guest, me and my podcast buddy Nex are neither. So I would really appreciate your appearance.

8 hours ago, New Horizon said:

I'm available and would be interested in taking part.

Thank you, that's so great, and since greebo already recommended you for specific aspects you would also be a perfect fit :)

2 hours ago, Bienie said:

I will be looking forward to this episode! I've listened to a few IAL episodes and they're always enjoyable. I second peter_spy and greebo's recommendations but would probably add Grayman to the list of authors as well. I think Duzenko and cabalistic probably have a good handle on the inner workings of the mod as well.

Ok those are quite a few guys..let's see if somebody would be happy to join. by the way, I just finished your Skulduggery missions all in a row yesterday, was alot of fun! great job.

So there are alot of names already... with @New Horizonand @greebo I might the right persons from the Mod view....now to ask the mentioned authors :) 3 (max 4) guests would be the maximum, otherwise a enjoyable discussion is almost impossible. Just for you guys to know, this is just the planning and the final episode will take a while, you need to get 3-4 people most times from different timezones on discord at the same date/time for 2-3h. But so far it always worked somehow, I'm sure it will this time! And if you guys are not familiar with this, please check it out we had amazing guests, like SupremGhoster Klatremus, authors as: Purah, Firemage, PukeyBrunster or Orginal Thief People as Garretts Voice himself Stephen Russell or Thief GFX director Daniel Thron so you will be in great company ;)

I'm looking forward to be in cotact with you, please add me on discord (especially @New Horizonand @greebo so we can discuss my ideas and your expectations) and if any author wants to join...please also add me there :)

thank you so much!

by the way,  so far I mainly used TTLG....this forum here is soooo advanced 😮 from a usability perspective

• Like 2

Biker is not on TDM Discord, he's been banned from all TDM related-sites except for the bugtracker. But all in all, the people already mentioned are much safer bets. No severe mental health problems, no superstar syndrome (and groupies to follow), etc. ;)

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I have been around since 2010 and am versed in the history of the mod. My main wheelhouse is taking technical developments in the TDM versions

and interpreting them for layman (to varying degrees of success).

That said, I am not particularly keen on being a public figure with my voice on a Podcast.

If you have technical questions or questions about the mod history I can provide some background.

• Like 2

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 12/9/2020 at 8:17 PM, Supremcee said:

Ok those are quite a few guys..let's see if somebody would be happy to join. by the way, I just finished your Skulduggery missions all in a row yesterday, was alot of fun! great job.

Great. Glad you enjoyed the missions!

• Like 1

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

On 12/9/2020 at 9:38 AM, greebo said:

You don't have that "Heroic Coder"-Title for nothing... 😉

I have to say, I am really looking forward to that podcast! In my perception, TDM is the most incredible community achievement ever: The jump from mod to standalone; Continously adding new graphical features; Still being developed further even after 15 years and many faithful mappers over all those years. It's an incredible story to tell!

• Like 3

On 12/10/2020 at 6:23 PM, peter_spy said:

Biker is not on TDM Discord, he's been banned from all TDM related-sites except for the bugtracker. But all in all, the people already mentioned are much safer bets. No severe mental health problems, no superstar syndrome (and groupies to follow), etc. ;)

How sad that you have to make fun of somebody else's supposed disadvantage. :( :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You should probably research the story first before making any judgements on this. Biker did a lot of bad things before he was banned, the community lost quite a few precious people thanks to him. And yet he still acts like a superstar in other places, e.g. harassing people over unfavorable reviews. And he has a big group of supporters willing to overlook everything just to get another mission to play. The least you can do is to make fun of it.

Edited by peter_spy
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 11:21 PM, Kurshok said:

If you're doing a Thief podcast, maybe you should review some well known missions in the Thief/TDM community. What was that one Thief 2 fan mission with custom Ghouls?

Thanks for your suggestion but the podcast already exists for 1,5 years :D We meet with the FM authors if possible and discuss the creation etc. Sometimes we even have original Thief Creators or guys like klatremus who does supreme ghost runs

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...