The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.09

stgatilov

Hmm...

While I don't see any performance regression in standard stencil mode, soft shadows with stencil

seems to have regressed here.

I barely use that mode anymore but it used to be higher performance than shadow maps...

Can anyone confirm?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Suggestion/Request: we already have "144" as a dedicated FPS limit (for 144 Hz monitors), can you add "75" as another one? Thanks!

70 -> 75

140 -> 144

etc.

G-Sync (compatible) issue (low performance value after loading a savegame) still is there.

Press ESC, stand by in the menu screen for some seconds, return to the game and the framerate is alright.

Or move around a little.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

2 hours ago, lowenz said:

Suggestion/Request: we already have "144" as a dedicated FPS limit (for 144 Hz monitors), can you add "75" as another one? Thanks!

You can set value 144 via console. but I don't think it will give you 144 FPS.

There is some place in the main loop, which ensure that at least 1000 / 144 milliseconds have passed since last time we have been here. The real FPS is usually lower than this cap.

No problem about that, it's just about coherency of the FPS limiter option in the menu.

144 is already there, the only other common value missing is 75.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Really? I feel that would be pretty stupid, honestly... The fps cap is there so your GPU doesn't run amok in the menu and other lightweight scenes, or to keep a more stable average FPS. There is absolutely no use case to select every value between 30 and 300, so a slider just isn't the right tool, imho. There are only a few select values that actually make sense.

• Like 3

The only thing I think we should do is set the max to 300.

Physics gets out-of-hand above that:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5464

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cabalistic said:

Really? I feel that would be pretty stupid, honestly... The fps cap is there so your GPU doesn't run amok in the menu and other lightweight scenes, or to keep a more stable average FPS. There is absolutely no use case to select every value between 30 and 300, so a slider just isn't the right tool, imho. There are only a few select values that actually make sense.

But the selected value doesn't (can't?) reflect the actual value as stgatilov says, so a slider is a more adaptive solution.

If I want adaptive sync on a 75 Hz monitor I must limit the frametime to 1/74 *actual* seconds, not a "75" nominal value.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

The only thing I think we should do is set the max to 300.

Physics gets out-of-hand above that:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5464

Thought those bugs were fixed a while ago, hope that can be solved. If there should be a hard limit, I think that should be 1000 honestly: That would allow one frame per millisecond, which is where there may be a structural code limitation if going beyond. Also there will probably never be a monitor that runs at 1000 Hz in the history of the world, at least not for personal computers... the eye would not pick up on anything that fast anyway.

And yeah, some games and some monitors running freesync (like mine), don't use freesync on anything AT or OVER the cap.

For example, if my game is running at 144 fps, I don't get freesync, but between 30-143 fps I do.

Now, what happens is that I get the occasional frame drop to below 144 fps and it stutters. If I keep it at 143 fps, it's butter smooth, even when it drops lower.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

1 hour ago, AluminumHaste said:

Dude, don't.

We already have 360hz displays and nvidia showed off a 1700hz display back in 2016.

Huh, never knew that. In 2016 I would have thought only NASA may have 1000 Hz screens. Yeah ideally there can be no limitation, but I'm not sure to what extent the system can allow that... great work was done modernizing the engine though so it's hopefully not impossible.

Personally I have a 165hz monitor and I set it to 120hz, why you may ask, because most old games can't go past 60fps without something breaking and most modern games that can run at above 60fps, are to heavy for my modest GPU to constantly run at 165fps or above, to take full advantage of the fast refresh rate. Plus imo is a waste of energy, 120hz is good enough for me.

Edited by HMart

23 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

Hmm...

While I don't see any performance regression in standard stencil mode, soft shadows with stencil

seems to have regressed here.

I barely use that mode anymore but it used to be higher performance than shadow maps...

Can anyone confirm?

OK, I went back to 2.07 and it is the same. RTTC v1 is just super heavy on Soft Stencil Shadows mode. ( 13FPS ... )

I will update to 2.08 and confirm further but I think this is pretty definitive.

Edit: Yep. 2.08 is the same. No regression (phew).

Something that has been broken or never worked, is skyboxes turning black when using either g_stopTime 1, or using the jitter option for screenshot command (screenshot <width><height><samples>).

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5494

I don't expect it to get fixed, but I've brought it up before in passing, but I guess it's time to make a bugtracker for it.

Here is a 32 sampled screenshot, skybox turns black

blacksky.thumb.png.9a23557eda9703eb0b8394acdbc2c632.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, AluminumHaste said:

Something that has been broken or never worked, is skyboxes turning black when using either g_stopTime 1, or using the jitter option for screenshot command (screenshot <width><height><samples>).

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=5494

I don't expect it to get fixed, but I've brought it up before in passing, but I guess it's time to make a bugtracker for it.

Here is a 32 sampled screenshot, skybox turns black

blacksky.thumb.png.9a23557eda9703eb0b8394acdbc2c632.png

I think this happens because the "hacked view" for portalsky relies on "shake angle" and Player.cpp disables "calculate shake" during g_stopTime:

if ( !g_stopTime.GetBool() ) {

UpdateAnimation();

Present();

UpdateDamageEffects();

LinkCombat();

playerView.CalculateShake();

}

Maybe just add an "else { playerView.CalculateShake(); }" there?

Edit: Nope, there must be something more. I fear that there may need to be a skybox specific update animation routine to make this work...

• Like 1

I just remembered an audio bug I experienced which seems to affect some Linux users. There's an opportunity to fix it in 2.09 which can be done by changing an OpenAL default. I posted a thread about it a while ago:

Essentially we might want to default "period_size = 64" or something that's under 256. A higher OpenAL period size can cause lag when the game starts with sound only playing in interruptions, until a few seconds or minutes later when it finally stops. I don't know if lower end audio boards might have issues with a low value however so this should be investigated first.

13 minutes ago, grayman said:

Would it be possible for each new version to show which version it is?
"TDM 2.09-beta04/64" is more informative than "TDM 2.09/64" on the main menu.

Hardly possible.

The name is only set in tdm_installer. Right now we bump some constant manually after every official release, so that the game could show 2.08 or 2.09 correctly. I don't see any solution for showing beta build, except for adding another constant for it... in which case I'll most likely occasionally forget to update it, so it won't be very reliable 😄

Right now you can open game console and see revision of source code SVN in its bottom-right corner. Then you can go to changelog and see which beta build it is.

Or you can start tdm_installer, click "custom version", and go to version selection page. In most cases it should show the name of the version which you installed last in the top field. And there is nothing wrong in updating to the version you already have (except that you'll probably want to save your config).

• Like 1

I find the TDM installer to be quite easy:

Just select custom build and choose your beta version.

This probably should be pinned at the top of the thread.

• Like 1