Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.09


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, grayman said:

Sorry it's not a simple solution, as in "go through a completely new code path".

Simple solution is to run tdm_installer, check "Custom version", then select the latest version you see in beta/2.09 folder, let it install, and then you will have the latest currently available beta version.

If you want to know which version you have now, then I guess you are already trying to do something not simple...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The announcement about 2.09 release will come soon. I'd like to thank everyone who took part in this beta phase! With so many people taking part in the beta phase, we can make official releases

Full changelog of 2.09 development. dev15976-8815 Includes all the changes from trunk which did not get into 2.08: * RGTC compression is now used by default. * More work on X-ray view. *

TDM 2.09 is ready for beta test In order to update, you have to use the new tdm_installer this year. Custom mirrors file is not needed any more. Windows 64-bit, Fresh install (slow):

Posted Images

Okay, so I just did a quick update to beta 4. Nothing I have reported here over and over again has been fixed! Is this beta really only about the rendering and nothing else?

- We still get the downloaded missions overlapping with "no missions available" in the load menu.

- We still get a double fail sound when failing lockpicking.

I don't know if I alreay reported it, but when quicksaving some screen entities light up white for a millisecond.

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

Okay, so I just did a quick update to beta 4. Nothing I have reported here over and over again has been fixed! Is this beta really only about the rendering and nothing else?

- We still get the downloaded missions overlapping with "no missions available" in the load menu.

- We still get a double fail sound when failing lockpicking.

I don't know if I alreay reported it, but when quicksaving some screen entities light up white for a millisecond.

Are all these issues new to 2.09? ( There are bugs in bugtracker that are over 8 years old but nobody has had the inclination or ability to address them. )

I haven't heard of the flashing on quicksave issue. Please post your Darkmod.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

I've had the flashing while saving for a while now.

It does not happen in 2.08.

 

I need to play again to confirm with 100% certainty, but I think I've also been seeing this one. It didn't draw my attention enough to report it... it just clicked with me now after seeing it mentioned here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

Are all these issues new to 2.09?

The lockpicking sound bug is new to 2.09, maybe it was in 2.08 too, but not in older versions. The loading problem is indeed as old as I have been playing TDM and I find it quite annoying, as it's basically the first bug every new player will notice and thus right from the start it may give a bad impression :(.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only been playing TDM for a couple months now so I may not be the best person to listen to, but I can confirm the quicksave flicker. It doesn't happen in 2.08 and has been happening in the beta of 2.09 since the beginning. I just tested on a fresh install using the default generated configs and it is not noticeable in the 2.08 release, is present in 2.09 beta 1, and seems a bit more noticeable in betas 3 & 4, though there is a bit of randomness to its severity. Definitely not a huge issue and I probably would not have mentioned it were it not being discussed, but it definitely exists. Windows 10 x64 btw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, grayman said:

Has anyone noticed white flashes when traversing visportals?

Either one frame is painting all white, or a few are.

I think this started with 2.09.

The only time I noticed something like this was when image_preload was disabled ( 0 ).

Please post your darkmod.cfg.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wesp5 said:

- We still get a double fail sound when failing lockpicking.

It is tracked as 5312 (since 2.07 version). And I'm sure I tried to reproduce it but failed.

Quote

- We still get the downloaded missions overlapping with "no missions available" in the load menu.

This is a minor graphical glitch in the overly messy GUIs. That nobody wants to waste time fixing I'm afraid. BTW, it is 4984.

Quote

I don't know if I alreay reported it, but when quicksaving some screen entities light up white for a millisecond.

I would say our save/load screens have been ill since 2.06 at least with various weird flashes. I have scheduled 5314 about quickloading for 2.10.

As for qucksaving... I think the first question is whether it disappears depending on various graphical cvars, like "r_useNewBackend 0".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grayman said:

Has anyone noticed white flashes when traversing visportals?

Either one frame is painting all white, or a few are.

I think this started with 2.09.

I get it I think when it resizes some buffer.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

As for qucksaving... I think the first question is whether it disappears depending on various graphical cvars, like "r_useNewBackend 0".

I turned off as many of the r_use... CVARS but I still get the flashing when quicksaving.

 

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the Mother Rose FM it is not a white flash, but instead something like a screen shake. Obviously, for a brief moment screen contents are replaced with some garbage, which can be different.

With bisecting, I tracked the problem down to revision 8981. Setting "r_tonemap 0" removes the issue. So it is some trash from FBOs.

Aside from that, there is a slight change in the sky while doing quicksave, but I guess it is some old issue. Maybe the same as the one about jittered screenshots with sky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stgatilov said:

It is tracked as 5312 (since 2.07 version). And I'm sure I tried to reproduce it but failed.

This is a minor graphical glitch in the overly messy GUIs. That nobody wants to waste time fixing I'm afraid. BTW, it is 4984.

So nobody has been assigned yet. The lockpicking sound bug should be easy to reproduce, just use the tutorial mission! I think it should be fixed because it can confuse newbies on whether an attempt has failed or they need the other lockpick. And as I wrote, I think the GUI issue isn't unimportant either, because it makes TDM look unprofessional at first sight although it's among the most professionally mod-turned-games ever! Compared to those I have the feeling most people here only care about the graphics and performance which should not leave gameplay or GUI affecting issues behind...

BTW, I can't find a link from here or the main TDM page to the bugtracker anymore! Is it hidden somewhere?

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

BTW, I can't find a link from here or the main TDM page to the bugtracker anymore! Is it hidden somewhere?

I can't see one either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The lockpicking sound bug should be easy to reproduce, "

Has anyone reproduced it yet?  I wasn't able to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, grayman said:

Has anyone noticed white flashes when traversing visportals?
Either one frame is painting all white, or a few are.

I don't see anything suspicious in your config. I recall you once said you wanted to retain your config from older versions, which could bring all sorts of nasal monsters... but this file is pretty clean.

I did not see anything like flashes while simply running around. Would be great if you post some locations where you experience it most.

Sometimes I notice micro-stutters when moving through maps, probably when crossing visportals. We strive for maximum FPS, but often forget that occasional freezes are also very annoying... I'd prefer having -10 FPS but no such stutters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 3:46 AM, wesp5 said:

So nobody has been assigned yet. The lockpicking sound bug should be easy to reproduce, just use the tutorial mission! I think it should be fixed because it can confuse newbies on whether an attempt has failed or they need the other lockpick. And as I wrote, I think the GUI issue isn't unimportant either, because it makes TDM look unprofessional at first sight although it's among the most professionally mod-turned-games ever! Compared to those I have the feeling most people here only care about the graphics and performance which should not leave gameplay or GUI affecting issues behind...

BTW, I can't find a link from here or the main TDM page to the bugtracker anymore! Is it hidden somewhere?

AluminumHaste and I both failed to reproduce the downloader GUI issue.

Was this replicated on 2.09 beta 4 without your enhancement mod applied?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

AluminumHaste and I both failed to reproduce the downloader GUI issue.

Was this replicated on 2.09 beta 4 without your enhancement mod applied?

Yes, both the GUI and the sound issue were without applying my own patch. But maybe some leftover patch files are not replaced by the current beta? That said my patch does not change the loading GUI nor the lockpicking sounds as far as I know, I will try removing anything that could be connected...

P.S.: I just did a quick test. Couldn't check the GUI bug as there is no new mission available, but the sound bug is there with anything from me removed. Maybe it has been like this for years but nobody complained? Just stop picking in the middle of it and you will hear two times the exact same sound!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

For the lockpicking sound, are you talking about this?

 

 

Whether it fails or succeeds you hear the clunk sound?

Exactly! It's most annoying when you have to switch lockpicks because you then hear success and fail at the same time!

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With lockpicking I have no problems, but I have the criticism that it is unrealistic, since normally both picks are used at the same time, as is also done in other games where you have to open doors with picks.

Edited by Zerg Rush
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

With lockpicking I have no problems, but I have the criticism that it is unrealistic, since normally both picks are used at the same time, as is also done in other games, for example in Splinter Cell and others. 

That's not technically true. You are never using more than one pick at the same time. You do need a tension tool, though, which neither of TDM's picks are and we might thus assume it's just implicitly there.

The only thing that's potentially unrealistic is regularly needing both picks for a single lock. Because while that may be needed in the rare case, it's not a common theme for common locks :)
Well, and the whole process of picking a lock in multiple stages is also not exactly how that works, but then again, it's a game, not a lockpicking simulator...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...