Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.09


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PranQster said:

So, the installer did not automatically update it's .ini file, so I didn't see the newer updates as available.

Sounds like something which should be fixed, no? ūü§Ē

Do you see anything suspicious in the log file when it cannot update? Is your user allowed to overwrite the ini file?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The announcement about 2.09 release will come soon. I'd like to thank everyone who took part in this beta phase! With so many people taking part in the beta phase, we can make official releases

Full changelog of 2.09 development. dev15976-8815 Includes all the changes from trunk which did not get into 2.08: * RGTC compression is now used by default. * More work on X-ray view. *

TDM 2.09 is ready for beta test In order to update, you have to use the new tdm_installer this year. Custom mirrors file is not needed any more. Windows 64-bit, Fresh install (slow):

Posted Images

The only information in the log file is from after I succeeded in updating the .ini file after manual edit. There is nothing in the log from previous to that. I might have deleted the old log file in  my attempts to fix the installer earlier today.

As far as user permissions goes... I did check that and had write permissions for both user and group on the .ini. I also set write permissions for 'Others' as well, but that didn't help.

Edited by PranQster
  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I download the installer manually, there is no .ini file packed with it. If the .ini file is not already present in the darkmod folder, the installer complains that there is not .ini file and does not work. So:

a. The installer was not downloading a new .ini file during the self update before presenting the TDM updates?

b. It was downloading a new .ini, but not updating the current one, despite having permissions to do so?

Also, what happens when someone downloads the installer for the first time and has no 'tdm_installer.ini' packed with it and gets the error of a missing .ini file when trying to get the updates listed?

  • Like 1

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2021 at 1:23 PM, PranQster said:

When I download the installer manually, there is no .ini file packed with it. If the .ini file is not already present in the darkmod folder, the installer complains that there is not .ini file and does not work.

The installer always downloads the tdm_installer.ini when you leave the first page, unless you check "Skip config file download" (which is necessary mainly for debugging). This might sound inefficient, but config file is a small chunk of text, so it's not a big problem downloading it again and again.

The root of error is clear: installer does not download config file. Maybe it also cannot download itself (i.e. cannot self-update). Maybe it also cannot update your TDM installation, and you are still on old version (although I'm pretty sure it would throw some error if that happened).

I have no idea why download fails. Perhaps if you share log file immediately after the run when config download failed, it would show something.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have a lighting issue.

Here's a link to a test map.

When you start, walk to the edge and look down. You have 2 lights beneath the water, rather dim.

badlight.jpg.452eefc509d0b17c1188a902c402a465.jpg

Jump into the water and submerge. Note the light brightness has changed.

badlight2.jpg.bed7eb00e901c763fe4c188f54bf13e3.jpg

When you come back up and climb out, look again at the 2 lights. Now they're both very bright.

badlight3.jpg.3475ceaa3f5860216bf90013566b49e8.jpg

Any idea what's going on? If you never submerge, the lights will stay dim forever.

Here's my cfg file.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 11:43 AM, cabalistic said:

@Araneidae You could try to change the color precision to 32 bits (either in the menu or by setting `r_fboColorBits 32` via the console or in your darkmod.cfg. Perhaps we don't have proper detection for 64 bit color buffer support right now, and that messes things up if your card doesn't actually support is, as lowenz's post suggests?

Although I wouldn't really understand how disabling tonemapping could influence this, but who knows...

I just updated to the latest beta and I also ran into this bug. When I set 'r_fboColorBits 32' that did fix the screen jello corruption.  Just wanted to let you know... not knowing whether that's expected or not in the beta.  thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 9:17 AM, Sneaker said:

I just updated to the latest beta and I also ran into this bug. When I set 'r_fboColorBits 32' that did fix the screen jello corruption.  Just wanted to let you know... not knowing whether that's expected or not in the beta.  thanks.

I wonder if you have the exact same GPU model as @Araneidae?
Do you happen to use the same driver?  (I.e. same OS, and same type of driver in case you are using Linux)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stgatilov said:

I wonder if you have the exact same GPU model as @Araneidae?
Do you happen to use the same driver?  (I.e. same OS, and same type of driver in case you are using Linux)

Yes, I think so... I'm on fedora 32 also using a really old Radeon card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sneaker said:

Yes, I think so... I'm on fedora 32 also using a really old Radeon card.

Just for definiteness, can you tell us what running

lspci |grep VGA

reports?  I get

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]

Alas, I don't know how to interrogate my driver version, but I know it's stock install.  Thank goodness that AMD finally works properly out of the box, but guess I need to think about upgrading ... once the graphics card market has stopped being insane!

Edited by Araneidae
Fix highlighting
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Araneidae said:

Just for definiteness, can you tell us what running



lspci |grep VGA

reports?  I get



01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]

Alas, I don't know how to interrogate my driver version, but I know it's stock install.  Thank goodness that AMD finally works properly out of the box, but guess I need to think about upgrading ... once the graphics card market has stopped being insane!

Sure:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 6770]

the first is the onboard gpu, the 6770 would be the card I use.  my setup has been good enough for me, but recently it's been really showing it's age. 

Edited by Sneaker
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lowenz said:

Pre-GCN Radeon, as exptected.

So Radeon HD 6700 is out, what about a 6950 card? That's what I'm running and I can't run 2.09, just goes to black screen after launch.

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day keeps the enemy at bay!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jedi_Wannabe said:

So Radeon HD 6700 is out, what about a 6950 card? That's what I'm running and I can't run 2.09, just goes to black screen after launch.

Did you try "r_useNewBackend" "0", "r_useBindlessTextures" "0" and "r_fboColorBits" "32" in darkmod.cfg ?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...

r_useMultiDrawIndirect 0

image_useNormalmapCompression 0

r_tonemap 0

I presume that you tried deleting your darkmod.cfg as well?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

Hmm...

r_useMultiDrawIndirect 0

image_useNormalmapCompression 0

r_tonemap 0

I presume that you tried deleting your darkmod.cfg as well?

Deleting config was my initial step, yes. Tried those 3 and still no difference. I can however hear menu music and when my cursor moves over a menu item.

And super big thanks for the quick responses, by the way!

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day keeps the enemy at bay!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

No problem.

Please attach your darkmod.cfg.

In addition, please launch TDM and attempt to open your console ( CTRL + ALT + ~ ) the invoke "condump blackgfx.txt" and post the resultant file to the thread.

Also, try locating and deleting your shader cache. I believe it should be under C:\Users\You\AppData\Local\AMD

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

 

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

 

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, nbohr1more said:

No problem.

Please attach your darkmod.cfg.

In addition, please launch TDM and attempt to open your console ( CTRL + ALT + ~ ) the invoke "condump blackgfx.txt" and post the resultant file to the thread.

Also, try locating and deleting your shader cache. I believe it should be under C:\Users\You\AppData\Local\AMD

Thanks so much I‚Äôll try those and report back tonight after dinner if I have more time. ūüôā

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day keeps the enemy at bay!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked out 2.09 final and noticed that my additional info text about the locked desktop resolutions has not be added. May I ask why? And will this be added to 2.1 at least to avoid confusion if it's not planned to add full screen resolution changing back itself?

Edited by wesp5
Link to post
Share on other sites

@wesp5   Usually the last beta build (release candidate) becomes the release build unless something major has broken. I think this is mostly a tradition from the tdm_update.exe days, since packaging new builds and sending them to tdm_update was a ton of work. I think this has become easier now with the new update method, but I don't know how much work it still is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, guys, optimization in 2.09 is above and beyond awesome - Painter's Wife, where I had before in the worst parts around 45 FPS, at best 75-85, now thanks to Image Sharpening I can now have 95 where before I had 45 and 120+ where I before had 75-85.

And without noticeable drop in image quality.

This is unbelievably awesome!

Edited by Tarhiel
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...