The Dark Mod Forums

Script: Per limb damage, skill system (WIP)

The augmentation system is one step closer to completion! Today I finally implemented the power system, with draining and regeneration as well as the visual bar (follows all HUD settings adjusted in the main menu). Different augmentations drain different amounts of energy at different times, some only while working others all the time. Regeneration is itself achieved via photosynthesis, meaning the player must stand close to a light source in order to regain power... this should add an interesting gameplay element by pushing the player to expose theirself and sit in bright areas when enemy AI aren't looking.

At the moment the only thing I'm waiting for before posting a 2.0 beta is finishing the per-augmentation HUD icons. There's still a single HUD element with everything drawn exclusively for visualization, to which I also added the power bar as can be seen below. I have a bunch of icons which look okay(ish) in my book, but may still browse OpenClipArt for even better ones as I'm not satisfied with a few of the designs and how they appear at the small size required for the HUD.

testing_2021-01-04_00_02_24.jpg.f95086a397b910f5d098820232347376.jpg

• Like 1

It took one heck of an amount of work, but it's finally been done: Functional skills / augmentations are now in principle implemented! The update contains the same player damage system but with limb based enhancements fully working as well :D

Today I finally separated the individual HUD components for each aug and made the icons operational, which is enough to post a beta for version 2.0 of this plugin. I improved and replaced some of the icons at the last moment, making them more visible and better suited for the effects they represent.

hud.jpg.e4d93402c56a1406243e6b2efd2af7d4.jpg

Remember this version is still mainly for testing purposes! The skills are yet to be tested in a real FM, and most importantly there's no upgrade items implemented yet: The player will currently start out with all augmentations automatically upgraded to level 4, the next (and final) step is adding upgrade items to slowly gain them during a FM.

Here's the latest pk4. Delete any previous version, then as usual simply drop this into your TDM folder which should automatically enable all the functionality in any FM. Testing would be appreciated; There are things I may not be able to change due to limits in the scripting system, but if there's any annoyance I can fix I shall look at it in the next update.

player_2.0.pk4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work - I think for testing you might like to go to the general TDM forum, since the editing section probably only attracts a subset of community members.

Importantly, I think the .pk4 will have to be named such that it sorts alphabetically after tdm_base.pk4, i.e. prepend a z_.

It'd possibly make the life of your testers easier if you provided an alternative download where all upgrades start at 0, and provide a list of cvars that the player can enter into the console to upgrade individual skills. People might like to try them one at a time, rather than a potentially overwhelming 16 at once, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.

7 minutes ago, Dragofer said:

Nice work - I think for testing you might like to go to the general TDM forum, since the editing section probably only attracts a subset of community members.

Importantly, I think the .pk4 will have to be named such that it sorts alphabetically after tdm_base.pk4, i.e. prepend a z_.

It'd possibly make the life of your testers easier if you provided an alternative download where all upgrades start at 0, and provide a list of cvars that the player can enter into the console to upgrade individual skills. People might like to try them one at a time, rather than a potentially overwhelming 16 at once, especially when it comes to troubleshooting.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I think that if I open a new thread there, it will be after the next update: I want to add the last component (upgrade items) first and clean up anything that might still be obviously wrong. Hopefully it won't be too long till that point... just need to design a nice little lwo model for the items, then come up with a solution for vanilla FM's that won't have them thus I'll need to spawn those somehow.

Also, only logged in users can see and download forum attachments, so you might want to provide a link to an external hosting site later on - in case your addon motivates someone to register, or just to make it more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on the item implementation today. Going for a prism thingie that looks somewhat like a potion... the design feels okay overall, but I don't feel like also texturing it and so far I'm uncertain how well using a default metal texture for the frame looks like. Maybe someone has a good lwo they're willing to donate? Let me know if so.

testing_2021-01-18_01_30_53.thumb.jpg.ef417c4e47540c8618d525d59d7b60a8.jpg

Functionality is done just needs polishing. The player no longer starts with any augmentations installed, picking up and using the items is now the only way to get augs.

https://opengameart.org/content/turbine-textured

Silly me for not using this sooner. Looks 1000 times better than the silly pyramid I was struggling to make! It's also GPL compatible so I can integrate it into The Dark Module once I make this a default component for it. Only problem is the model is pretty high poly... I didn't want to ruin the original so I only decimated two LOD's instead, reduced shadow mesh included: FPS will drop if looking at too many of those items up close, but mappers shouldn't need to place more than 4 which can be viewed simultaneously which should be okay.

testing_2021-01-19_18_17_07.thumb.jpg.434f7bce2936354fafd487b94ba2d3bf.jpg

It's also GPL compatible so I can integrate it into The Dark Module once I make this a default component for it.

That model doesn't really suit the TDM setting as it looks currently...it has wires and fairly modern looking pipes and logos on it.

3 hours ago, Springheel said:

That model doesn't really suit the TDM setting as it looks currently...it has wires and fairly modern looking pipes and logos on it.

It's not perfect but one of the only models I could find that looks okay. It's a bit too modern for TDM I agree, though at the same time grimey enough to fit the existing generators and other devices. It's worth remembering that like other mods I'm thinking of doing, it will be defaulted in my cyberpunk conversion BUT also available as a plugin for FM's / players for vanilla TDM, thus I'm juggling to make it fit both setups somewhat. It can be changed later if a better one comes up... for now I also need to finish a few remaining tweaks for the next version.