The Dark Mod Forums

Google Photos will stop offering free photo backup on June 1, 2021

Zerg Rush

Given that I have observed that some of you have Google accounts to save Screenschots and various images, I have thought of reporting this change in Google's policy, which from  From June 1 of this year it no longer allows the uploading of images for free, when the total of 15 Gb in the general services of the account is exceeded (Gdrive, Gmail and others).The best alternatives would then be the Onedrive account, which still has a limit of 1 Terabyte, or ImgBox or Imgur, both free without  storing limits and also provide better links to share.

https://gsmarena.com/google_photos_will_stop_offering_free_image_uploads_on_june_1_2021-news-46242.php

https://imgbox.com/

(ImgBoxen is in my opinion the best alternative, although it only supports uploads from the PC, but admits Bulk uploads and give forumlinks for Bulk Share)

https://imgur.com/

(It also supports uploads from the network, but is more limited in the maximum size of the files)

• Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Quite a few wrong infos here... 1. Google Photos was never unlimited. Just like Play Music, it was limited to x photos (I think 200.000 or something). That cloud space, just like the space for music, was separated from your 15 GB free cloud space offering, which only worked for GDrive, GMail, and some other services. 2. From June 1st, the Photos and Music space will be integrated in the 15 GB of free cloud space you have (which is how it should be really, anything else is just confusing, and not transparent). 3. Nothing is deleted, unless you have so many photos that the 15 GB of free cloud space is exceeded.

And lastly, OneDrive doesn't give you 1 TB for free. That's just incorrect. You get 5 GB free cloud space with OneDrive. The 1 TB you are talking about probably is the offer you get with a Office 365 subscription. 

• Like 1

Certainly Google always had the limit of 15 Gb free in your account, but not in Google Photos, as long as you save the photos in compressed form, but this is what ends now with the new regulation, Google Photos will not store in an unlimited way either in compressed form, including the 15 Gb in the total of services, which was not the case before.

That is, from June 1, if the services you use, Gmail, Gdrive, Google Photos, etc. add up total to 15 Gb, uploading more photos would no longer be free.
This yes, the photos that are already uploaded previously do not count in the calculation.
Anyway, I personally do not use these services, I have had my photos in albums (privat and public) since years in my accounts in the aforementioned Imgur and ImgBox, they offer free and unlimited hosting, also much better to share, with the necessary codes (ImgBox include with BBcodes, ready to copy-paste in forums, selecting several photos also the bulk codes, for paste all fotos with one click, as thumbnails or fullsize) and not the kilometric links that Google Photos offers.

Wlso2FM.png

More codes in Imgur, but no bulk post

PTAfdMl.png

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I've been using the Google services for a while now, mainly because it makes it easy to sync with my phone. I like GMail, Drive and the other services though. I tried the MS services as well, but, they never gave me the same usage experiences as the Google ones. And, Google's 15 GB cloud space offer is also the most generous of them all. 

Regarding the photos, I remember I read once that there always has been a limit of x photos. I won't swear on it though, maybe my memory is clouded. For the uploaded music, I know for sure that it was always limited to 200.000 files. Which is plenty of course. And, sure, 15 GB is quite limited compared to that, but, how much can you really ask for for free? I remember that I had 15 MB of cloud space on Yahoo Geocities, in the beginning of the whole thing. :) That was enough for a couple of Ebay pictures then...

Edited by chakkman

Shure, Google Service may be enough and Sync feature is good for private Photos, but Imgur also have Apps for Android for upload Photos, also browser extensions for Right click upload. The Screenshot Tool I use (ShareX also upload the picture by default, same the online editor Lunapic, which also has a extension Right Click Edit.

https://www12.lunapic.com/editor/

Apart Sync, logging in Imgur or ImgBox, you has al Photos in all your PC and Mobiles. Both community driven and free.

Edited by Zerg Rush

I'm definitely a fan of imgur and have had no issues with it for basic image sharing. I especially like the fact it's easy to create links to images and you don't need to mess around with accounts or anything if you don't want to.

Having said that, if an image is important to you, don't have it only available on a cloud/hosted service. Keep a local copy just in case. There's always the likelyhood of even a popular site like imgur ending up doing shit like Photobucket: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

• Like 2

A word of warning, Agent Denton. This was a simulated experience; real LAMs will not be so forgiving.

In ImgBox registration is also not necessary, but if necessary in both (only Nick, Mail and Pasword), if you want to save your photos there and to create albums, this without registration is not possible, with this you only have the function of Image Sharer.
That's why I have an account in both, Imgur for its apps and extensions that it has and ImgBox for its comfortable and fast use, both are the best and most reliable image hosts that I have tested over the years.

Using only as imagesharer, without account, ImgBox is better, especially for animated gifs, since Imgur then only offers the link like webm or MP$, difficult to share in many forums., in addition ImgBox supports up to 10Mb per image.

Edited by Zerg Rush

On 1/9/2021 at 10:41 PM, Xolvix said:

.......There's always the likelyhood of even a popular site like imgur ending up doing shit like Photobucket: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

No, Photobucket from the beginning has abused its conditions (Bad, no animated gifs and paying for un service that others give for free) and the launch of its TinyPic, which filled the web with its 'Photo not available' logos by deleting them in a few days, has permanently broken their neck.

nj1PWlr.png

• 3 months later...

Another nice alternative for store and sync files of any type is KrakenFiles

00m5K2z.png

For fast file sharing, there are FileBin (no registry needed, files expire in 1 week) and GoFile (files expire after 10 days if there is no download, with regulary downloads the file stays indefinitely, registry optional to keep  a registry af your uploads and some features more (e-mail only for registry, they send you an acces link))

All off them completly free

Another picture hosting site:

http://www.23hq.com

Max upload of 1000 pictures a month for free. Site is not https, interface is outdated.

Edit: Cannot really recommend it. Some functionality is still based on Flash, which doesn't work. If you want to upload a series of images's at ones, that can only be done via e-mail (send a bunch of images to a specific e-mail address and they will be uploaded). It used to be really good.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

I never had a good experience when setting other people up for Google Photos.  The desktop syncing applications were unreliable--would constantly stall and need to be restarted--and also CPU intensive.  The duplicate detection didn't really work.  The behavioral documentation was cryptic--I had to go to 3rd party websites just to get a good grasp on it.  Support was practically nonexistent (as is typical for Google "products")

• Like 1

22 hours ago, woah said:

I never had a good experience when setting other people up for Google Photos.  The desktop syncing applications were unreliable--would constantly stall and need to be restarted--and also CPU intensive.  The duplicate detection didn't really work.  The behavioral documentation was cryptic--I had to go to 3rd party websites just to get a good grasp on it.  Support was practically nonexistent (as is typical for Google "products")

Yes, iI think imgbox, Imgur are the best for photo hosting, and Krakenfile the best alternative for GDrive and GoFile the best alternative to DropBox. I also avoid as much as possible, services from Google,(Amazon, Fakebook). There a very good or better alternatives, at least good front-ends, which offers the service without BigBrother.

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1