The Dark Mod Forums

Graphic improvements?

computertech82

Have you enabled advanced graphics options such as Soft Shadows, Bloom, and SSAO?

What missions have you played?

What aspect looks like the original Thief games?

• Like 3

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

10 hours ago, computertech82 said:

I re-found dark mod again. Seems to have an update to it, but the game looks like it's the original thief game. Will the game ever get updated to look like the newer games? 

If you mean that you see that the engine itself has been upgraded, but the textures, models and other game assets have not, then you're correct. The latter would require a lot of time, effort, and at least a few highly-skilled modelers involved. (And there aren't many idtech4 modelers here in general.) So, the answer to your question is, "It probably won't".

11 hours ago, computertech82 said:

I re-found dark mod again. Seems to have an update to it, but the game looks like it's the original thief game.

I recommend a visit to the optician then. :P

Seriously, TDM always looked much better than the original Thief's. Except Thief 2014.

Edited by chakkman
  • Thanks 1

I think TDM is graphically pretty good, anyway better than the Thief I know.
It naturally depends on the configuration adapted to the graphic capabilities that each one has.
Possibly the quality can be greatly improved to match the latest generation games, but not everyone has a high-end gaming PC to be able to play it then.
I don't have a high-end PC and many games currently offered are well above what I can play with a moderately acceptable FPS.
Besides that the graphic quality does not necessarily define the quality of a game and in this aspect TDM is far superior to many more modern ones.

Laptop Lenovo 15 AST, Windows 10 64, AMD 8Gb RAM, GPU AMD 2Gb, 256 Gb SSD.

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

^ But comparing Thief screenshots to TDM promotional WIPs is an exaggeration as well ;) It's not that an average TDM mission looks like that.

But there are a few cool looking ones, no doubt about it, you can use sites like Thief Guild to look for something you might like.

Edited by peter_spy

Fair but those images show what TDM is capable off in the right hands, even with the current assets and there are missions that have scenes like that or better, of course TDM missions are made by fans, everyone of them with different skill sets and so some may look less than that, but IMO even the "worse looking" TDM mission looks at lest comparable to Thief 3 not original thief.

Edited by HMart

It may be that he is not referring so much to the capabilities of the engine, or even the resolution of the textures and models (which is not all that easy to notice if you are not specifically looking for it), but to the style of map creation. I have noticed that some missions tend to use design techniques which were common in the simpler Thief games but look less realistic compared to the level of detail in modern games, e.g.:

• Truncated slivers of bricks around and above a doorway rather than a realistic supporting beam or lintel, making it appear that the door or window is just cut into the surface rather than built around.
  • Weird, inconsistent slivers of interlocking bricks on the front of steps, rather than a row of complete bricks or a single large stone.
  • Bricks on two sides of a right-angle corner which do not line up with each other as real bricks would, making it look like a brick-pattern wallpaper applied to an underlying surface (which is essentially what a texture is).
  • Unsupported large flagstone textures on ceilings (which would in reality fall straight to the ground).
  • No skirting boards, trim, coving, ceiling beams or any other details which often appear where walls join horizontal surfaces.
  • Lack of dirt and grime — everything looks totally clean, homogeneous and repetitive, right up to the edges of rooms.

That is not to say that all missions look like this, and some (including those I have played from Grayman) are notable for their realism, but I think it's easy to fall into the trap of rapidly slapping textures on brushes (or cutting brushes without regard to texture alignment) giving a result that players can instinctively recognised as "wrong" without being able to determine the exact reason why.

• Like 3

Just my two cents, I think computertech82 is either ignorant or a troll but probably a combination of the two. Even a blind person could easily see that there's no comparison between the graphics of the "original thief game" and TDM.

Nothing to see here, moving on.

• Sad 1

Like I said before, TDM, at least with the graphics adapted to my Lap, is quite realistic. Where perhaps it fails a little sometimes is in some glitches, when a character is sitting in the air on the table and the like, and the AI is sometimes exasperating, for example the girl I fought in 'The Transaction' is unable to run in the right direction, things like that But I think this happens in the best games too.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

I think computertech84 didn't only mean that graphics aren't AAA quality according to 2020 standards but, moreover, the animations might be the weakest part of the game overall. That's something that hasn't changed much since the TDM was released. At least for most NPC's.

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

Not forgetting that we are comparing a free game with commercial games with all kinds of state-of-the-art facilities and a squad of Chinese programmers.

It would be fair to compare TDM with other free and OSS games, to see how many "AAA" we find among them.

A AAA game is not defined not only by the spectacular graphics, but by its content, playability and re-playability. I am not worth a game to go in 20-30 levels to go from point A to B linearly, with no other content than to shoot everything that moves.No matter how good graphics they have, this is played 1-2 times and then forgotten. TDM however is to play for years, with very different content and genres, from Steahth, FPS, Adventure, Survival Horror, Mystery, Platform ... (and even a Tetris 😂), THIS is not AAA, but AAAA +.

33 minutes ago, Zerg Rush said:

Not forgetting that we are comparing a free game with commercial games with all kinds of state-of-the-art facilities and a squad of Chinese programmers.

It would be fair to compare TDM with other free and OSS games, to see how many "AAA" we find among them.

A AAA game is not defined not only by the spectacular graphics, but by its content, playability and re-playability. I am not worth a game to go in 20-30 levels to go from point A to B linearly, with no other content than to shoot everything that moves.No matter how good graphics they have, this is played 1-2 times and then forgotten. TDM however is to play for years, with very different content and genres, from Steahth, FPS, Adventure, Survival Horror, Mystery, Platform ... (and even a Tetris 😂), THIS is not AAA, but AAAA +.

Indeed, it's a miracle that TDM has gotten this far with continuous updates still. So few open source projects get any meaningful progress in years. Maybe TDM would have had more content if there was some form of donation available. Maybe not. Who knows? There's many Pay to win "free" games out there that unscrupulously demand money for things people don't need (even if they ask for it). Alas... Maybe things are better the way they are. Slow but steady.

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

RPG games are very popular for my wife. In this genre there are certainly many from Pay2Win, although there are also free exceptions, which, although they have purchase options within the menu, these refer practically only to cosmetic supplements that do not provide or only provide insignificant advantages. One of them, which is quite good, very playable and, which is not at all frequent, available for both desktop and mobile. It is called Eternium and this is definitely not Pay2Win, it allows you to play as far as you want, without restrictions and completely free. It can be downloaded freely from the corresponding stores (Windows, Google Play, iOS), it is singleplayer, although there are challenges for all the players where you try to climb a table, but each one on their own.

Zerg Rush that reply looked like something a bot would post because of how off topic it seemed. :D  And how the Eternium link, at a glance looked like a link to Ethereum the bit coin type virtual money. I almost reported you! 😜 :D 

Edited by HMart

Nothing to do with Ethereum, the link is to the independient Company Making Fun, fans of the old Diablo Game. They create first Mage and Minions, renamed it later Eternium.

But yes, it's some OT, responding to the discussion, sorry for this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

It may be that he is not referring so much to the capabilities of the engine, or even the resolution of the textures and models (which is not all that easy to notice if you are not specifically looking for it), but to the style of map creation. I have noticed that some missions tend to use design techniques which were common in the simpler Thief games but look less realistic compared to the level of detail in modern games, e.g.:

• Truncated slivers of bricks around and above a doorway rather than a realistic supporting beam or lintel, making it appear that the door or window is just cut into the surface rather than built around.
  • Weird, inconsistent slivers of interlocking bricks on the front of steps, rather than a row of complete bricks or a single large stone.
  • Bricks on two sides of a right-angle corner which do not line up with each other as real bricks would, making it look like a brick-pattern wallpaper applied to an underlying surface (which is essentially what a texture is).
  • Unsupported large flagstone textures on ceilings (which would in reality fall straight to the ground).
  • No skirting boards, trim, coving, ceiling beams or any other details which often appear where walls join horizontal surfaces.
  • Lack of dirt and grime — everything looks totally clean, homogeneous and repetitive, right up to the edges of rooms.

That is not to say that all missions look like this, and some (including those I have played from Grayman) are notable for their realism, but I think it's easy to fall into the trap of rapidly slapping textures on brushes (or cutting brushes without regard to texture alignment) giving a result that players can instinctively recognised as "wrong" without being able to determine the exact reason why.

Yeah, and there is also that mostly rectangular level design, which just doesn't look very natural in a medieval context. We are not designing modern north american cities here afterall. 😄 Obviously, those rectangular designs are due to the usage of brushwork instead of models and I actually don't mind it at all, but it does reduce realism. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Anderson said:

the animations might be the weakest part of the game overall.

I think this is true: the door opening is particularly noticeable, this is something you're watching all the time in game, and the magic of a character standing a yard away from a door, waving their hand, and the door opens, is always a strange sight.

1 hour ago, Araneidae said:

I think this is true: the door opening is particularly noticeable, this is something you're watching all the time in game, and the magic of a character standing a yard away from a door, waving their hand, and the door opens, is always a strange sight.

Plenty of games don't have the character reach out their hand at all, which is even more magic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Nothing to do with Ethereum, the link is to the independient Company Making Fun, fans of the old Diablo Game. They create first Mage and Minions, renamed it later Eternium.

But yes, it's some OT, responding to the discussion, sorry for this.

No need to ask sorry you did nothing wrong. :)