The Dark Mod Forums

Graphic improvements?

computertech82

49 minutes ago, Springheel said:

Plenty of games don't have the character reach out their hand at all, which is even more magic.

Yes that true but there's a reason even most AAA games don't use such door opening animations, even thou many people want them, they make the gameplay slow and they are very hard to make work right, first imagine you are on hurry, you want to open the door fast to escape a guard, but you need to wait for your character to finish its "door opening" animation before you can hide, I've experienced this in some games, that use such animations.

Also even thou some may think is more realistic, IMO sometimes it is not, in a FPS game, it can sometimes disconnect the player from the character, specially when glitch's happen during the process, and they do happen, why, because of the way this type of thing needs to be made, it requires that the coders and animators, make sure the player is at the right angle and distance, to grab the door handle realistically, if not, it will fail, causing the player to be unable to open the door, or the player character will just grab the air and that imo, defeats the purpose of such system.

This also demands the use of IK (inverse kinematics) like TDM characters use for the legs and we all know how twitchy it can be, not to talk that is some performance lost (ik is not free) for something imo not required and with some important cons.

Not to talk that in the case of TDM, as a free game made by unpaid volunteers, don't expect everything to be animated. 

Edited by HMart

11 minutes ago, peter_spy said:

You don't have to look far to find examples, Thief reboot had animations for taking loot from all the cupboards and drawers, and it was boring as hell.

I would even go so far to say that it's actually annoying due to those frequent unwanted viewport animations.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 12:26 PM, Zerg Rush said:

Like I said before, TDM, at least with the graphics adapted to my Lap, is quite realistic. Where perhaps it fails a little sometimes is in some glitches, when a character is sitting in the air on the table and the like, ... But I think this happens in the best games too.

Sure does:

20210114104059_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, HMart said:

Yes that true but there's a reason even most AAA games don't use such door opening animations, even thou many people want them, they make the gameplay slow and they are very hard to make work right, first imagine you are on hurry, you want to open the door fast to escape a guard, but you need to wait for your character to finish its "door opening" animation before you can hide, I've experienced this in some games, that use such animations.

I assumed we were talking about AI animations, not player animations.  Avoiding player animations that take control away from the player has always been high on our priority list.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Springheel said:

I assumed we were talking about AI animations, not player animations.  Avoiding player animations that take control away from the player has always been high on our priority list.

Sorry if I assumed wrong, I thought you guys were talking about player animations. 

But even with NPC's imo there's problems opening doors realistically, seems such a basic thing to do but in reality is a very complex task, even AAA games where millions were spent didn't solved this.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Springheel said:

I assumed we were talking about AI animations, not player animations. 

That's certainly what I was talking about.  It's always very strange seeing the guards &c dancing their way through the doors, but I understand that it's hardly worth the animation effort that would be involved to change it.

2 hours ago, Araneidae said:

That's certainly what I was talking about.  It's always very strange seeing the guards &c dancing their way through the doors, but I understand that it's hardly worth the animation effort that would be involved to change it.

I stand corrected but in my defense, you used the word character and the player is a character also. :P :D

Edited by HMart