The Dark Mod Forums

seeStakeoutsignal caught: Segmentation fault

JBERT

Hello,

In "now and then" mission, the game crashes shortly after the video sequence where it shows the city watch has located my hiding place with:

Changed location from 'location_city1' to 'location_aboveCarla'.
The ambient 'snd_aboveCarla' (city_tranquil_01) for location 'location_aboveCarla' is now playing.
WARNING:Couldn't add entity book1 to inventory of player1
Sauvegarde_rapide_1
Switching to EFX 'location_city1' (#3)

Changed location from 'location_aboveCarla' to 'location_city1'.
The ambient 'snd_city1' (city_silentnight) for location 'location_city1' is now playing.
Sauvegarde_rapide_0
seeStakeoutsignal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..
--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------
WARNING:Door func_static_957 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door func_static_1471 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_doorD2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_doorE2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_doorA2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_drawerB2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_drawerA2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_drawerD2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door bureau_drawerC2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door func_static_1832 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door CabinetDrawer9 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door CabinetDrawer10 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeA2 is not within a valid AAS area
WARNING:Door DoorWardrobeB2 is not within a valid AAS area
ModelGenerator memory: 57 LOD entries with 62 users using 24536 bytes, memory saved: 25132 bytes.
WARNING:idClipModel::FreeTraceModel: tried to free uncached trace model (index=0)
--------- Game Map Shutdown done -----
Shutting down sound hardware
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
...shutting down QGL
I18NLocal: Shutdown.
------------ Game Shutdown -----------
ModelGenerator memory: No LOD entries.
Shutdown event system
--------------------------------------
shutdown terminal support
About to exit with code 0

I run Darkmod on a Linux worstation (i9-10900F, 32 GB, dual screen, Radeon RX 570) and I have tried several different configurations without any success. Game always crashes.

Any idea ?

Best regards,

JB

Your AMD 570 gets reasonable FPS with 16x AA? Try lowering to 8x AA.

Also try disabling EFX and HRTF in your Audio settings.

Finally, try setting:

seta r_cinematic_legacyRoq "1"

in darkmod.cfg

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Same result with seta r_cinematic_legacyRoq="1" :

Generated framebuffer DEPTH_STENCIL attachment: 1920x1080
Generated framebuffer COLOR attachment: 1920x1080
Generated render buffer: 1920x1080x16
Generated render buffer: 1920x1080x16
glCheckFramebufferStatus - primary: 36054 - resolve: 36053
Generated render buffer: 1920x1080x1
Restarting ambient sound snd_city1'(city_silentnight) with volume -16.183872
Sauvegarde_rapide_1
seeStakeoutLinking GLSL program environment ...
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1

Note that game crashes _after_ video is played in both cases.

Regards,

JB

Same crash with 2.09 beta :

Changed location from 'location_city2' to 'location_jacobhome'.
The ambient 'snd_jacobhome' (solitude_loop_z) for location 'location_jacobhome' is now playing.
Switching to EFX 'location_city1' (#3)

Changed location from 'location_jacobhome' to 'location_city1'.
The ambient 'snd_city1' (city_silentnight) for location 'location_city1' is now playing.
Sauvegarde_rapide_0
seeStakeoutNEW OBJECTIVE
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 128

Segfault comes just after TDM plays video with the watch in player room.

In 2.08, I've never seen 'new objective'. In 2.09 beta, I seen 'new objective' just before segfault.

Thanks again!

Can you run thedarkmod.x64 under gdb?

Open Terminal

cd /home/user/darkmod/

gdb ./thedarkmod.x64

run

If the crash occurs in gdb, please perform invoke "step" in gdb and capture the console data to a text document.

Another thing that would help is setting all logging to debug in darkmod.ini then collecting the darkmod.log as an archive (tar, zip, etc) and

uploading to a filesharing site.

I have launched TDM under gdm control and it doesn't abort. But TDM freezes when first AI shows me and I have to kill TDM with signal 9. In gdm console, I only obtain :
Linking GLSL program ssao ...
Linking GLSL program ssao_blur ...
Linking GLSL program ssao_depth ...
Linking GLSL program ssao_depth_mip ...
Linking GLSL program ssao_show ...
Linking GLSL program environment ...
Linking GLSL program bloom_downsample ...
Linking GLSL program bloom_downsample_brightpass ...
Linking GLSL program bloom_blur ...
Linking GLSL program bloom_upsample ...
Linking GLSL program bloom_apply ...
Restarting ambient sound snd_city1'(city_silentnight) with volume -16.183872
seeStakeoutNEW OBJECTIVE

Thread 1 "thedarkmod.x64" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000009cae98 in ?? ()
(gdb) step
Cannot find bounds of current function

I suppose I cannot obtain more information as I have killed TDM.
I have launched also TDM with debug options. You can find Darkmod.log at https://hilbert.systella.fr/public/Darkmod.log (45 MB).

Another question not related to this issue. I use a french keymap. Of course, I have set this configuration in DarkmodKeybinds.cfg. First time I launch a mission, this file is read as I have the good keymap in game. But when I recall a saved game, keymap returns to default keymap (or very rarely to french keyboard defined in DarkmodKeybinds.cfg). I have filled a bug a long time ago without any progress...).

Best regards,

JB

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 2:27 PM, JBERT said:

I suppose I cannot obtain more information as I have killed TDM.

I have launched also TDM with debug options. You can find Darkmod.log at https://hilbert.systella.fr/public/Darkmod.log (45 MB).

You need debug symbols in order to see something in a stack trace. We store debug symbols for official releases, but I guess they are not published. If you have built TDM from source, then of course there you have debug symbols, but otherwise you don't.

Also, there was a problem that TDM 2.08 was built with "omit frame pointers". As the result, stack trace could not be recorded. It was fixed for 2.09, so if you take 2.09 beta, this won't be a problem.

Another question not related to this issue. I use a french keymap. Of course, I have set this configuration in DarkmodKeybinds.cfg. First time I launch a mission, this file is read as I have the good keymap in game. But when I recall a saved game, keymap returns to default keymap (or very rarely to french keyboard defined in DarkmodKeybinds.cfg). I have filled a bug a long time ago without any progress...).

Obviously, this one: 3724

Well, this bug is probably Linux-only (I wonder if it happens on Windows) and only happens if you have non-standard keymap. It needs attention from someone who knows something about Xlib and this "keymap" thing, and I'm not sure there is one.

Just now, stgatilov said:

Well, this bug is probably Linux-only (I wonder if it happens on Windows) and only happens if you have non-standard keymap. It needs attention from someone who knows something about Xlib and this "keymap" thing, and I'm not sure there is one.

I've only briefly looked into the Xlib bindings when I fixed the most glaring issues with keys that were not working in TDM. My impression is that getting this right is not trivial, at all. I believe switching Linux input completely to GLFW might be a much better option at this point. I truly think that would solve (most of) the input bugs for Linux. Perhaps I'll find some time for 2.10 to try this out.

Steps to reproduce (for anyone who have not played):

I could not reproduce it in Linux VM.
I have a feeling that this "cutscene" about standing guard is not a cinematic...

I think one of the following could help (ehm... potentially😥)

1. Crashdump. You can record it by starting TDM in gdb, and executing some special gdb command when it crashes. See e.g. this.
  2. Savegame. It would be helpful if you can also say whether you can reproduce the problem from it by starting fresh TDM and going down the sewers.

Since TDM 2.08 was built with this stupid "omit frame pointers", I'm afraid only savegames and crashdumps recorded with 2.09 beta will be helpful.

I tested with all my normal cranked settings (Maps, Soft Shadows, SSAO, Bloom, SMP, Accel, lower fbo resolution ) and couldn't reproduce.

I see that part of the stack includes a stencil buffer attachment so I will test with Stencil Shadows tonight.

I do vaguely recall a few crashes around cut-scenes and specific shadow modes prior to 2.06 etc, maybe something similar is afoot.

10 hours ago, nbohr1more said:

I tested with all my normal cranked settings (Maps, Soft Shadows, SSAO, Bloom, SMP, Accel, lower fbo resolution ) and couldn't reproduce.

I see that part of the stack includes a stencil buffer attachment so I will test with Stencil Shadows tonight.

I do vaguely recall a few crashes around cut-scenes and specific shadow modes prior to 2.06 etc, maybe something similar is afoot.

I can't reproduce with stencil shadows either. Linux Mint 19.3

Any Linux players wish to help verify?

Mission: Now and Then

Replication:

> notarget
> setviewpos -2371.72 1124.54 -910.26   4.8 7.2 0.0

You will be clipped "inside" of a small closet - don't move, just grab the painting right in front of you. 

> setviewpos -2461.61 1236.86 -1057.22   22.5 177.7 0.0

Frob the big lever right in front of you. A few seconds of video & audio will play

> setviewpos -447.87 -95.21 -580.38   10.2 -89.8 0.0

You're at the top of some stairs. Walk down the stairs and keep walking for a few feet. The cutscene will play (it lasts a few seconds), and then you'll get a new objective. I think this is about where it crashes

@Baal @PranQster @MirceaKitsune @Ladro @peispud @Araneidae @Oleron @deviLz4demon