The Dark Mod Forums

Which game would you like to erase from your brain, just to experience it once again completely anew, and why?

STiFU

I thought about this for a bit, but I probably wouldn't. At least in terms of wanting to recapture any particular feeling or experience. Many of the good times of the past have been stepping stones to other good things, and I wouldn't want to erase them.

That said, there are probably a few games that would've been better off had I played them with certain enhancements (Thief 3 with mods, System Shock EE). Thief 3 especially; while the game itself wouldn't have been saved, at least numerous annoyances would've been eliminated. But if I end up replaying it, I have something to look forward to at least. And System Shock remake is on the horizon too, which is fun.

2 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

The Penumbra series, great stealth* survival horror game

*(you don't have weapons)

Not in the traditional sense, but I swear I remember watching a let's play and the guy beating dogs to death with a lead bar or something.

Edited by roygato

1 hour ago, roygato said:

I thought about this for a bit, but I probably wouldn't. At least in terms of wanting to recapture any particular feeling or experience. Many of the good times of the past have been stepping stones to other good things, and I wouldn't want to erase them.

That said, there are probably a few games that would've been better off had I played them with certain enhancements (Thief 3 with mods, System Shock EE). Thief 3 especially; while the game itself wouldn't have been saved, at least numerous annoyances would've been eliminated. But if I end up replaying it, I have something to look forward to at least. And System Shock remake is on the horizon too, which is fun.

Not in the traditional sense, but I swear I remember watching a let's play and the guy beating dogs to death with a lead bar or something.

Yes, but this works only in certain moments, with the zombies is better that they don't see you or you are death, you can't fight them, you can kill some monsters using the environment (let fall things on them or similar) in the right moment, no other way to do this. Stealth is the best way to living end the game. 

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Excluding, for obvious reasons, the first three Thief games, and my first couple of hours playing The Dark Mod, I'd say my game would be SOMA, which has one of the best psychological horror/sci fi/philosophical stories you'll see in a game, combined with the characteristic gameplay mechanics and atmosphere of works by Frictional Games, which borrow a lot from the original Thief games.

The Dark Mod Database: https://tdmdb.com

probably one of the first 3rd party unreal based games and it was newer widely known :) still it was fun though you had to do a lot of planning at times due to the complexity

of spellcasting in it. The story is kinda a preample to the series so you wont see the dragon reborn in it, instead you get a bit of backstory.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:48 AM, revelator said:

wheel of time :) but this time make the whole damn series dammit!!! :P also needs a better way to select spells the way it is set up it is allmost impossbile to select a spell before you are dead hehe.

Oh my god. I had completely forgotten about this game. I played it and thought it was great, but never finished it. If I remember correctly, I got stuck on a mission, where you had to fight off several waves of enemies and had some time to lay traps between each wave. I have finished the books only a couple of years ago and never made the connection between the two 😅 Still, I was able to enjoy both seperately. Makes me want to replay the game, but I fear that it is too old to enjoy for me now...

Also the old DOOM serie is nice, for wich you can use the motor Risen 3D, as the best, which improve a lot the old pixeled pseudo 3D in 3D real images.

You can add a lot of the created megawads from the Wadstation, but for run Risen3D you need the original wads of Doom, Doom II, etc.

iBD9bnK.png

cWxj7lP.png

https://risen3d.drdteam.org

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

hehe yeah i remember all these ports like the old boom port there was even one based on the quake source code (vavoom i think it was named) it allowed playing from wad but you could replace the sprite models with real 3d quake models which incidently dont look all that good today :) risen was one of the more advanced i remember, zdoom was another as well as the doomsday engine.

On 5/22/2021 at 2:01 PM, revelator said:

hehe yeah i remember all these ports like the old boom port there was even one based on the quake source code (vavoom i think it was named) it allowed playing from wad but you could replace the sprite models with real 3d quake models which incidently dont look all that good today :) risen was one of the more advanced i remember, zdoom was another as well as the doomsday engine.

The version of Doom I had the most fun with was BrutalDoom, hilarious and absurdly gore (⚠ Refrain sensitive people)

Its free and there are standalone versions with the 32 level Hell on Earth wad, With other packages you nead the original Doom and Doom2 wads.

Half-Life 2 is definitely one I'd love to play again with no prior memory of it.

EDIT: So I feel more obligated to explain my feelings as to why. HL2 was first and foremost something I played much later after it's release (with the Orange Box set) but I ran into it because of the want to mod something more accessible. At the time I was cutting my teeth on trying to learn Softimage XSI for models in the original Star Wars Battlefront. I wasn't a fan of needing some program called "Steam" to run it, however at the behest of a friend; I took first just grabbed the demo.

I probably played that demo six times through before my copy of the Orange Box arrived at my buddy's house, I loved it that much. Up to that point I hadn't played anything that took it's physics or it's world experience that seriously. I think what still sells it for me today is how it feels like a single take experience, start to finish. It tries to realize it's environment as an actual place and continues to handle it as such. It both rewarded or punished the player if they did (or didn't) think ahead, so while being linear it still gave way to this feeling of play-it-how-you-want. Dishonored continued and expanded on that whole world realization in gaming, and given the heavy influence of Antonov; really explains that connection. You can probably imagine my disappointment when I couldn't continue the experience (Half Life Alyx) for my lack in VR gear.

• Like 2

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

On 5/22/2021 at 12:30 PM, revelator said:

the gog version still runs pretty well on win10 :) and you can now get a directx 11 renderer for it which helps somewhat with the dated visuals.

Not sure if this is a region lock problem, but I cannot find the game on gog 🙁 May have actually tried it again, if I had...

my bad was another game sadly wheel of time is not on gog.

most bugs can be fixed by following this https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time which also has a link to the d3d11 renderer.

If you prefer glide to get the old and dusty feeling get nglide which works like a charm with it.

the quicktime cutscenes do not play on win10 though some report that it does for them with the fix from the site above (depends on win10 patch level i think).

If the game crashes at startup this is the bug i get and the only way around it is to either delete the movie folder (if copied to the game dir) or open wot.ini and put a ; in front of the movie path.

might also have to run the game as admin depending on where you installed it.

19 hours ago, revelator said:

is actually possible but not very easy to play half-life alyx without VR :) you need https://github.com/r57zone/Half-Life-Alyx-novr

and some stuff can be rather hard to do.

Yeah man, I was able to play the game for a bit on a friend's Index and I'd definitely say some puzzles would be near impossible to do with mouse/keyboard inputs. I had to cancel my Index order (twice) due to the fact it only charges you the 1k, 8 months later when finances might want to say otherwise. Otherwise, I'm still planning on picking up VR gear to play it; just PC rebuild + car projects kinda took priority.

Modeler galore & co-authors literally everything

1 hour ago, Epifire said:

just PC rebuild + car projects kinda took priority.

Dont i know it 😉 been scrounging parts for a mediaPC for my bedroom, have an older MSI medion board with a core i7 2600 and an even older geforce 9600GT + a corsair PSU, still need some ram and a cabby and maybe an SSD though i can live with it not being super fast booting and i got a 1TB HD laying around :).

As for Alyx some other guy is working on a better implementation for keyboard/mouse setups where all the actions can be mapped.

• 3 weeks later...

Thief itself.

The first moment I played it, I thought I wouldn't expect much, but...Despite being a very old game and I played it in 2016, I was amazed by it anyway; the graphics, the sound, the audio system, the music. Just about everything about the game was amazing, even the combat system.

I wasn't much into Stealth games, I actually hated them, but I always wanted to know what is this game, that is nothing more but something simply named "Thief". Why such a mundane simple name? Also, it helps that back in 2011 I saw it on an old now-defunct "gaming" TV channel ran by Italians.

And there is this one moment, when I was playing my first mission, I was already having some "feels" just from the tutorial, but the first mission...The moment I blackjacked that guard, I felt like I made quite an achievement, like a little kid jumping happily 'cos he found something out and his parents are cheering (more like spoiling) him about it.
And then I got down the sewers, I was already mad 'cos I'm one of those neurotic taffers that hate sewers so much, I might as well be Civvie's uncle (because I'm older than him, Gen-X and all that; live young, die young, baby!)

But something got me. You know what it is? The music. The sewers just...Well, it just felt so good being in such a shitty place for once, with that amazing music playing. Eric Brosius is a Legend, he must be a demigod put to Earth and he doesn't know it, not like anybody should know. The sound and music design he makes is out of this world, it made me feel so immersed when I played Thief. Just about ANY sound, ANY song he makes for Thief, it gives me that feeling I don't always get, that feeling of "Relaxation", that feeling that everything is good, for once I really get that one moment to stay away from all my fucking shitty problems and just enjoy "life" by doing something as mundane as playing an obscure old game.

Thief is something, Thief became my second top favourite game (the first one is Neverwinter Nights, the nostalgia that one gives me) and the only thing I regret is...Well, playing it on Summer, when playing it on Winter could have been MUCH better. (Quite a petty regret, I know, don't mind it too much)

But alas, that's how it happens, and I can always replay it anytime, any day, maybe even when I die, because that's how amazing Thief is, it should let you to remember it even in death.

• Like 1