The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.11.0 pre-release test

Here's the DR 2.11.0pre5 build for every interested mapper to test => new features!

Feature: Favourite Management

2021-01-04 05_16_10-Create entity.png  fav_media_browser.png

favourites_mockup.gif fav_texture_browser.png

Feature: Resource Tree Filtering

filtering.gif

For more things that have changed or fixed, see the list below.

Download Windows Portable x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WocdS8uXBIyKYYzS0JAvKPWK2rg2RaHZ/view?usp=sharing
Download Windows Installer x64: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZstS9SuTlGlhAKW5AVRyusxDhn0ba-8B/view?usp=sharing

Linux folks need to compile this stuff from source, instructions for various distributions are on the wiki.

If you happen to run into a crash, please record a crashdump: How to record a crashdump

Changes since 2.10.0 can be seen on the Bugtracker changelog, here's the summary:

#5127: Managing favorite resources (entities, textures,...)
#3250: Extend Search-Feature of browsers
#5471: Collapsing a brush while undoing cannot be undone
#5388: Skin Chooser starts with expanded All Skins root folder
#5482: List model definitions in Model Chooser
#5484: Projected lights don't rotate around their origin anymore
#5474: Default scale & natural function producing stretched results
#5454: Script dialogs don't scale when window is resized
#5469: Crash in master on startup

Changes since 2.11.0pre3

#5491: Initial GUI improvements to game connection plugin
#5455: Prefab Chooser preview: improvements to initial view origin and angles
#5456: Imported prefabs are now created at the cursor
#5482: modelDef folder is now collapsed right after opening the Model Selector
#5498: Linux: Crash when selecting caulk in Texture Browser, saving, loading map
#5493: Linux: Crash due to TreeModel column accessed before initialization

Changes since 2.11.0pre4

#4900: Material parser doesn't recognise materials with no whitespace between name and block
#5501: Request for ai_see added to lights menu
#5455: Prefab Chooser preview: improvements to initial view (further tweaked)
#5127: Managing favorite resources (entities, textures,...) - added more options to context menu

Thanks for testing, as always!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, greebo said:

@OrbWeaverLet me know whenever I should merge anything from your branch to have it included it in the release. You can also push it yourself if you feel like it, your Github account should have permissions, iirc.

If you pull my master branch you'll get some tweaks to the Connection menu items (replace separate enable/disable options with a standard menu toggle) and two new icons in the camera window toolbar which correspond to the camera sync connection options. There is also better error handling, so if the connection cannot be made an error dialog will appear instead of nothing happening.

I didn't create a bugtracker entry so far since these sort of GUI tweaks are something of an ongoing process, but I'm happy to create an item to cover these specific changes so it can appear in the changelog.

@greeboVery excited to check these features out! Thanks for all the work you've been putting into the editor these days.

EDIT: From the favorites menu how do I actually create an entity or change a speaker s_shader? Double clicking on a texture will change the selected surface, but double clicking entities or sounds doesn't seem to do anything for me.

3 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

If you pull my master branch you'll get some tweaks to the Connection menu items (replace separate enable/disable options with a standard menu toggle) and two new icons in the camera window toolbar which correspond to the camera sync connection options. There is also better error handling, so if the connection cannot be made an error dialog will appear instead of nothing happening.

Ok, thanks, will integrate your master branch!

1 hour ago, kingsal said:

EDIT: From the favorites menu how do I actually create an entity or change a speaker s_shader? Double clicking on a texture will change the selected surface, but double clicking entities or sounds doesn't seem to do anything for me.

There's nothing implemented for shaders or entities yet, I've been waiting for further feedback. I can make double-clicking the sounds applying the s_shader spawnarg, and I can create an entity from the double-clicked entity class, if that's helpful.

14 minutes ago, greebo said:

There's nothing implemented for shaders or entities yet, I've been waiting for further feedback. I can make double-clicking the sounds applying the s_shader spawnarg, and I can create an entity from the double-clicked entity class, if that's helpful.

That would be helpful! Im not sure where the entity should be placed on double click. Maybe at the origin of the current or previously selected object?

Also its worth mentioning that various different entities have s_shaders, lights for example will also take a s_shader arg.

Thanks for putting in all this work!

On 1/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, greebo said:

Could maybe implement the rule that double-clicking does the following if:

A : nothing is selected > create a speaker or entity at the location of i.e. in the centre of the currently active orthoview and use the previous selection to determine the 3rd coordinate
B : one or more non-worldspawn entities are selected > change the s_shader or classname
C : selection also includes worldspawn > change s_shader or classname on everything but the worldspawn
D : only some worldspawn is selected > create an entity out of the selection (no effect for soundshaders)

This ruleset could be expanded as appropriate to models and prefabs too, keeping the double-click response somewhat consistent.

Edit: I believe only speakers can use s_shader, so probably that spawnarg should only be applied to speakers.
Edit2: the above is false, all (most) entities can make use of s_shader.

The newly improved handling for prefabs is looking good and working fine so far, and I can finally see fireplace prefabs without a magnifying glass. My feedback would be that the new preview vantage point is a little high, would probably be a bit better if the camera were a little lower. Using the example of kingsized_fourposter_bed.pfb, with the current default on the left and what I'd suggest on the right:

image.thumb.png.22f0c515f6758dd6e1991318c8b41b44.png

At some point someone should probably go through all the prefabs and make sure they're oriented correctly towards the (new) preview camera, in the correct folders, meet quality standards, aren't missing assets and so on. Basically house cleaning in the prefabs folder.

Same goes for the modelDefs. Now that they're exposed in the model chooser, it turns out there are quite a few that probably shouldn't be part of the release build until someone from the team takes a look at them.

A thought regarding the modelDefs: maybe if the mapper chooses a modelDef in the Model Chooser, it could create a func_animate instead of a func_static? Just tested with animated_tree01 and saw that as a func_static it's just a black box, but as a func_animate it shows up as a static model ingame. The mapper could then look up the .def to see which anims are available, if he wants it to animate.

Existing entities should keep their classnames, though.

I've probably asked this before, but is it safe to build a current FM using one of the pre-release builds?

I typically hold off testing as i'm worried work on my map might get lost of some aspect of it be corrupted. However that natural texture bug is driving me nuts so it's tempting to jump in :)

It's difficult to answer. We're all doing our best, but nobody can never guarantee anything about any build, not even release versions. If you're in a critical phase in developing your map and don't want to risk anything, I can only recommend to stick with a version you know is working for you. I'd hate to read about anybody having to revert to backups just because I asked about pre-release feedback!

Needless to say, if nobody is volunteering to test these beta versions, I'm forced to release the above version as it is. So I appreciate everyone who is helping to test it, this is what helps making the release versions as stable as possible.

Since the last release, I didn't touch anything with regards to the saving/loading code, so the chances that this build will corrupt your map are rather slim.

• Like 1

The new grid in the Prefab Chooser preview still seems to be located at 0,0,0, not at the centre of the prefab. This often means that prefabs which are off-center appear to have no grid until one finds it by looking around with the camera.

church_votive.pfbThis prefab exhibits the behaviour. The grid is located above the starting position of the camera.

0005455: Prefab Chooser preview: improvements to initial view

9 hours ago, Dragofer said:

The new grid in the Prefab Chooser preview still seems to be located at 0,0,0, not at the centre of the prefab. This often means that prefabs which are off-center appear to have no grid until one finds it by looking around with the camera.

Fixed in source

A new pre-release build is available (pre5). Some advancements to the favourites management, plus two small fixes.

Known issue: I still have to hunt down a crash when trying to scroll in the favourites browser in Linux.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greebo said:

Known issue: I still have to hunt down a crash when trying to scroll in the favourites browser in Linux.

Pre5 built properly in Mageia Cauldron. With nothing yet added to Favorites, I saw this crash when trying the mouse wheel on the empty list.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I might have found an "Edit Objective" problem with 2.11.0pre3 x64.

If I bring up ws1_north.map (which can be obtained from the "In the North" pk4), and do the following, I can hang DR:

1. Load ws1_north.map.

2. Select "Map->Objectives...".

3. Select "7  Put card player on patrol when alerted".

4. Select "Alert entity Berthe (blah blah blah)...".

5. DR Hangs.

If anyone has another map where card players are put on patrol after being raised to Alert Level 3, it would be good to see if that map also causes a hang.

Edit: I now see we're up to pre5. I haven't tested with that.

3 hours ago, grayman said:

I might have found an "Edit Objective" problem with 2.11.0pre3 x64.

If I bring up ws1_north.map (which can be obtained from the "In the North" pk4), and do the following, I can hang DR:

1. Load ws1_north.map.

2. Select "Map->Objectives...".

3. Select "7  Put card player on patrol when alerted".

4. Select "Alert entity Berthe (blah blah blah)...".

5. DR Hangs.

Confirmed, and fixed in source (#5507).