The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant 2.11.0 available

44 minutes ago, jonri said:

@greebothanks for taking the time to track down the Linux crashes with me!  I did a couple hours of mapping last night using the same fix you committed, switching around between different map files a lot, and everything seems rock solid now.

Nice, thanks for the confirmation! Still not the final fix for this type of problem, but for now it'll do.

• greebo pinned this topic

6 hours ago, greebo said:

Fixed: Default scale & natural function producing stretched results

Praise be to the lord builder!

Thanks once again Greebo!

20 hours ago, coldtobi said:

And it has been uploaded to Debian (unstable) already!

Soon to be available on a Debian mirror near you!

I probably need to upgrade but is there any chance you could look into a package that installs in Linux Mint 19.3 LTS?

"libc6 >= 2.30" is not a satisfiable dependency here.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

1 hour ago, nbohr1more said:

I probably need to upgrade but is there any chance you could look into a package that installs in Linux Mint 19.3 LTS?

"libc6 >= 2.30" is not a satisfiable dependency here.

Sorry, I'm not involved in Mint development (/me Debian Developer)

But what you can try, as Mint is Ubuntu based and Ubuntu is Debian based, to rebuild the package locally on your machine:

# Disclaimer: not tested, typed out of memory.
sudo apt install devscripts
# not sure if this package exists in mint, but this will allow you to verify the signature on the sources
sudo apt install debian-keyring
mkdir darkradiant_builddir
cd darkradiant_builddir
dget -x https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/darkradiant/darkradiant_2.11.0-1.dsc
# if you could not install debian-keyring, you can skip dget(1)'s signature verification with -ux , e.g 
# dget -ux https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/darkradiant/darkradiant_2.11.0-1.dsc
cd darkradiant*
# this makes a pseudo-package depending on the build dependencies and installs it
sudo mk-build-deps -i -r
sudo apt install -f
# ensure that once Mint has 2.11, the package from Mint will be installed:
dch --bpo "Local backport."
# This command starts the bulding of the pacakge:
dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign
# if that worked, you should have some nice debs in the parent directory ready to be installed.
# debi(1) can help you with that ;)
sudo debi --with-depends darkradiant darkradiant-plugins-darkmod 

One problem you might run into: If it cannot install debhelper-compat = 13 as Dependency, you might need to reduce compatiblity level. (Chances are good that it will also compile on lower compat level.)

rmadison debhelper

should give you the version you have on your Mint; if it is 12 (or maybe 11, can't remember when debhelper-compat became a thing in Debian), replace the 13 with 12 (11) in the file debian/control (look for the line with debhelper-compat = 13 )

If is is older, you can try this instead:

- create a file debian/compat with your debhelper major version in it -- this is just one interger number -- e.g echo "10" >debian/compat

- replace "debhelper-compat = 13" with "debhelper" in debian/control.

- retry from the step mk-build-deps onwards.

Good luck!

PS: You should be careful installing packages on Mint _NOT_ compiled for mint; its easy to really break the system. Read https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian for more info. (This link is Debian centric, but also true for Debian based distributions)

Edited by coldtobi

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have discovered a serious bug in the Linux version which affects the released 2.11 build — the second time you use the Create Entity function, regardless of what (if anything) you created the first time, the tree view is completely empty. I assume this doesn't happen on Windows because loads of people would be complaining about it already. Probably some interaction between the search function and the GTK implementation of wxWidgets tree controls which needs investigation.

7 minutes ago, greebo said:

Oh crap. Are you already investigating it, or should I have a look?

All I've done so far is confirm that the bug appears in the released 2.11 build rather than just something local to my working copy. If you're set up to reproduce it I imagine you will make faster progress since you're more familiar with that part of the code (especially the search system), but I'm happy to investigate it if it's awkward for you to reproduce a GTK-specific issue.

Only briefly confirmed the issue, it's tracked now.

From what I can see in the debugger is that the second time around no call to "loadEntityClasses" is performed. I have no idea why this doesn't have the same effect in Windows, but I guess the wxDataViewModel::Cleared() implementation in wxMSW is not really doing anything.

The fact that the EntityClassChooser is a singleton doesn't really help. Population is threaded and working very fast, so my first measure would be to remove the Instance() stuff and make it a regular dialog that is instantiated each time it's shown. The problem will most likely go away with it, and we don't need to monitor the GlobalMainFrame to get rid of the instance on time during shutdown.

23 minutes ago, greebo said:

I have no idea why this doesn't have the same effect in Windows, but I guess the wxDataViewModel::Cleared() implementation in wxMSW is not really doing anything.

So I did actually experience this bug last night while working in DR (I'm using Windows 10), but it only happened once and now I CANNOT recreate this bug using the steps you posted in the bugtracker.

Edited by Amadeus

1 hour ago, greebo said:

The fact that the EntityClassChooser is a singleton doesn't really help. Population is threaded and working very fast, so my first measure would be to remove the Instance() stuff and make it a regular dialog that is instantiated each time it's shown. The problem will most likely go away with it, and we don't need to monitor the GlobalMainFrame to get rid of the instance on time during shutdown.

I agree with this general approach. I'm already running into sporadic "Debug/Breakpoint trap" dialogs on shutdown because of some weirdness with the singleton ModelChooser's destruction (something to do with wxWidgets and DecRef() but the problem happens deep within wx/GTK code so it's basically impossible to debug), so getting rid of these static singletons sounds like a step in the right direction.

In cases where there is still a performance concern with population, we could probably cache just the data rather than the whole widget and get a performance boost without having to worry about wx/GTK destruction issues.

2 hours ago, greebo said:

my first measure would be to remove the Instance() stuff and make it a regular dialog that is instantiated each time it's shown. The problem will most likely go away with it, and we don't need to monitor the GlobalMainFrame to get rid of the instance on time during shutdown.

It turns out your intuition was right. Removing the static instance fixes the problem with the empty dialog appearing on the second showing, but there is still a problem with the search box. No matter what I type in the search box (even just a single letter), the tree immediately empties of all content, and nothing returns the tree to its previous state even if I delete the search box contents entirely. Fortunately since it is no longer static, I can at least close the dialog and open another one which shows the expected content.

I'll go ahead and commit this partial fix in any case since it downgrades the issue from major (dialog is useless after first showing) to a minor (search feature doesn't work).

There seems to be a problem in wxGTK 3.0.4 when calling wxDataViewModel::Cleared(): https://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/18603

I actually posted in this very topic regarding a different crash in wxGTK, but the original issue report is about the tree view being wiped out by Cleared() instead of being reloaded.

In the most recent master commit I worked around that problem by re-associating the data view model, so this problem should be gone now.

Well that seems pretty conclusive. The documentation clearly specified a behaviour which the library code wasn't actually implementing. Perhaps the fact that it was fixed in a more recent version of wxWidgets means that the defect didn't affect as many users as I first assumed.

Sure, it's nothing major though. Btw. is there a way to have embedded perspective and ortho views, but with Media browser floating or placed elsewhere, UE3 style? I ended up with floating windows because media browser made perspective window small and it wasn't exactly fast to work with, so I moved it to the second monitor, like this:

Clipboard02.jpg.caf8b4ff38f5a0e6eac936ad01ca1a33.jpg