The Dark Mod Forums

Render bug, large black box occluding screen

V-Man339

Some more information after second session:

1. Checking both colorModulate and colorAdd for NaN and resetting them if they are NaN seems to fix the issue. Fixing only one of these two parameters is not enough, although some glitches go away.
  2. The issue does not depend on gameplay modelling: timescale and g_stopTime does not stop or change flickering.
  3. The issue does not happen if one sets "r_useMultiDrawIndirect 0" on the new backend.
  4. The issue does not happen with "r_useMultiDrawIndirect 1" if I hardcode "maxBatchSize = 1" in DrawBatchExecutor::EnsureAvailableStorageInBuffers, but it happens if I hardcode "maxBatchSize = 2".

Also, there is absolutely no possibility to put NaNs into the two considered uniforms in C++ code, only -1, 0, 1 values are set in all cases. But nobody can be totally sure that the complicated framework of new backend does not spoil the data somehow, or does not mess up the syncing.

So the bottom line is: this issue is caused by "multi draw indirect" code path in the new backend, and only happens when you actually render several "draws" (at least 2) at once.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, and the last point:

5. We did not manage to reproduce the problem on Debug With Inlines build, only on Release one. So I suppose it is timing-sensitive. Which means that it is hell even telling when it stops happening because it logically does not happen and when it stops happening simply because timings have changed.

UPDATE: Of course, there is another possible reason for Debug vs Release difference. Perhaps we messed something up with memory (aka "undefined behavior"), and this only breaks things when several other factors contribute (like Windows 11 heap for example).

• Thanks 1

I just pointed out that in Iris beta, I lose almost 100 fps going to old backend

BUT!!!! Once this crazy market for GPU's comes down a little bit more, I will be upgrading to an Nvidia card, like 3080ti or something like that.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Hey, I don't recall 100 fps difference!
But something like 160 vs 180 or 160 vs 190 was definitely there, I confirm.

That's without stuff like "single-pass shadow maps", and even without "multi draw indirect".
But... @AluminumHaste renamed executable to Doom3BFG.exe to get some crazy FPS boost.
Driver programmers are 100% mad 😲

Another reason not to use AMD, stupid driver hacks like that.

Not just darkmod. ANY older OpenGL game.

Wrath Aeon of Ruin (base on DarkPlaces OpenGL Quake 1 port) gets extra 100 fps. Naming it DoomX64.exe (doom 2016 opengl) gets +150FPS but with rendering bugs.

There's so many of them, it's basically a go to for any older opengl title.

24 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

Vulkan on AMD does run spectacularly.

How hard would it be to back port our modifications to this code base?

https://github.com/DustinHLand/vkDOOM3

Given that TDM is based on the older non-BFG code base and has then been heavily modified, I would guess very hard. It's good for inspiration, no doubt, but a direct copy is out of the question.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, AluminumHaste said:

With shadow maps, I lose about 10-15 fps

Sounds like the new backend with multi-draw enabled still wins by 85FPS over the old backend. We can probably just disable multi-draw by default and have a friendly user experience until 2.11 where we decide whether to fix it further or take another approach.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

So interestingly, on the computer with the i7 4770k and EVGA 980ti, I get worse performance with r_shadowmapsinglepass 1 by about 8 fps.

r_usemultidrawIndirect set to 0 or 1 makes no difference, maybe 1-2 fps.

Bizarre the AMD's architecture is so sensitive to the changes but Nivida's is not.

FPS is often bad measure.
You have frontend thread and workers running in parallel: if they are slower, then backend performance does not matter.

The "new backend" took about a year, and it only changes a small part of OpenGL code. I think a lot of old OpenGL code is still around. You won't be able to mix old and new code with Vulkan, so better stop dreaming 😁

Disabling multidrawindirect sounds like an option: it is not as risky as switching back to the old backend. Although it would be great if at least one more beta tester reported the same problem...

AMD's opengl has allways been a bad toothache among users, the problem however is not that it is broken it actually follows the khronos spec quite closely more so in fact than nvidia. There is a lot of info on the net about why it usually fails on things nvidia handles without problems.

I opened 2 support tickets with AMD about the bindless texture issue, but never heard back.

EDIT: even this guy had to solve his own problem, with no one chiming in.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/driver-apparently-does-not-implement-arb-bindless-texture/td-p/413689

• 4 months later...

@stgatilov @duzenko @nbohr1more

So, AMD made big changes to their OpenGL driver 2 updates ago. I can confirm that all these bugs are gone for me on driver 22.5.2.

https://overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/radeon_s_targeting_poor_opengl_performance_with_a_future_amd_software_release/1

Bindless textures work as normal, no weird green tinge.
multidrawindirect set 1 causes an FPS boost with no visual glitches

• Like 1