The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod 2.09 Will Not Run

johlkien

I forgot to mention, some Intel GPU's don't quite like the new persistent mapping feature.

You can try "r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0"

Also, shadow maps have even better performance with:

r_shadowMapSinglePass 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Dragofer Just wanted to let you know that your suggestion solved it and load times are significantly improved. Thanks again

@nbohr1more I didn't see much difference with r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0 but I'll keep it on just in case. Either way everyone's help here made a huge improvement and I appreciate it. It sucks that this laptop, like many, have soldered RAM which is probably a huge reason 550MB missions like TPW don't want to play nice when others do. 

• Like 2

@johlkien
Good to hear that your integrated GPU also benefited massively from that cvar when it comes to loading times.

What you could also try is the 140 MB version of The Painter's Wife (aka v1.2, not official yet). It should be almost exactly the same content, just that the archive has been cleaned up and what's left has been compressed or fixed by taking advantage of some recent DarkRadiant fixes.

Loading times are probably a bit longer because of the extra compression, but maybe the FM performs better because in some regards there's less to hold in memory. You'd have to make a new save, though.

1 minute ago, johlkien said:

@DragoferI appreciate that. I tried it but on both 2.08 and 2.09 but it hangs and crashes when I try to load it. 

Just to be sure, are you trying to load an old savegame with the new FM files? And how far does the loading bar get?

On 2/24/2021 at 11:11 PM, Dragofer said:

you could also try is the 140 MB version of The Painter's Wife (aka v1.2, not official yet).

Just tried loading that, and it's looking promising for me.  One odd thing: when I started the map I briefly had the following message (or something like it) at the top of my screen:

WARNING: AAS_RAT OUT OF DATE

No idea what this means!

Edit: Maybe I misremembered the string: ran it again and got

WARNING: AAS32 IS OUT OF DATE

Edited by Araneidae
RAT?

On 2/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, nbohr1more said:

I forgot to mention, some Intel GPU's don't quite like the new persistent mapping feature.

You can try "r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0"

Also, shadow maps have even better performance with:

r_shadowMapSinglePass 1

Darn it, that "0" was a typo!

I keep forgetting that you need to set both:

r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 1

r_usePersistentMapping 0

to make this work.

(Wiki updated)

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Dragofer, I think there might be something wrong with the unofficial Painter's Wife you linked above.  I found a reference to the "AAS32 OUT OF DATE" here:

and it appears that this is something to do with AI pathing ... and I have indeed noticed a guard walking in circles near the start (descend to the street, go left to the end of the cul-de-sac past the gate, and there he is).

@Araneidae
Odd, seems that the map didn't compile properly in that version, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to make a new .pk4 from the latest build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alas.  Even with my best efforts at trying various options I can't get The Painter's Wife to play a reliable frame rate.  A lot of the time it ticks along in the 20 to 30 range ... and then it'll drop to 6fps.  Sometimes it goes back up and stays up for a bit after I look elsewhere, but a lot of the time it just sticks there.  Going to have to give up :(  This is using the latest drop from the mission thread.

2 hours ago, Araneidae said:

Alas.  Even with my best efforts at trying various options I can't get The Painter's Wife to play a reliable frame rate.  A lot of the time it ticks along in the 20 to 30 range ... and then it'll drop to 6fps.  Sometimes it goes back up and stays up for a bit after I look elsewhere, but a lot of the time it just sticks there.  Going to have to give up :(  This is using the latest drop from the mission thread.

I could offer some guidance in getting more FPS but it will take some effort from you

Are you sure you absolutely need to play Painter's Wife now? You could play other missions for now and then upgrade the hardware to something more decent later.

What are your system specs?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, duzenko said:

I could offer some guidance in getting more FPS but it will take some effort from you

Are you sure you absolutely need to play Painter's Wife now? You could play other missions for now and then upgrade the hardware to something more decent later.

What are your system specs?

I'm quite willing to play!  I'll be grateful for you help in investigating.  I've played most TDM missions.

My hardware is pretty old, but I'm not planning to upgrade until the current component availability crisis has passed: I'd like to upgrade to a high end AMD GPU, think am going to have to wait another year for that given the current supply chain for everything electronics these days.

My hardware and software stack is, as posted over here:

The key points are: 1/ a 10 year old Radeon HD 6950 card (with 2GB RAM); 2/ 16GB system RAM; 3/ up to date Fedora installation (now Fedora 33); 4/ 1920x1200 display.

Since the 2.09 beta test and upgrade I've been basing my configuration on the following settings (which I apply after deleting Darkmod.cfg):

seta tdm_door_auto_open_on_unlock "0"
seta tdm_mainmenu_confirmquit "0"
seta tdm_wideScreenMode "4"

seta r_fullscreen "2"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fboColorBits "32"
seta s_useEAXReverb "0"

seta com_showFPS "1"

seta r_usePersistentMapping "0"

After that I can play with the advanced graphics settings.  I'd like to turn on anti-ailiasing, but it tanks my FPS.  The only other option that seems to make a visible difference for me is soft shadows, so I do like to turn those up, and normally it has no impact on FPS.

Edited by Araneidae
Add config.

1 hour ago, Araneidae said:

I'm quite willing to play!  I'll be grateful for you help in investigating.  I've played most TDM missions.

My hardware is pretty old, but I'm not planning to upgrade until the current component availability crisis has passed: I'd like to upgrade to a high end AMD GPU, think am going to have to wait another year for that given the current supply chain for everything electronics these days.

My hardware and software stack is, as posted over here:

The key points are: 1/ a 10 year old Radeon HD 6950 card (with 2GB RAM); 2/ 16GB system RAM; 3/ up to date Fedora installation (now Fedora 33); 4/ 1920x1200 display.

Since the 2.09 beta test and upgrade I've been basing my configuration on the following settings (which I apply after deleting Darkmod.cfg):

seta tdm_door_auto_open_on_unlock "0"
seta tdm_mainmenu_confirmquit "0"
seta tdm_wideScreenMode "4"

seta r_fullscreen "2"
seta r_aspectRatio "2"
seta r_customHeight "1200"
seta r_customWidth "1920"
seta r_fboColorBits "32"
seta s_useEAXReverb "0"

seta com_showFPS "1"

seta r_usePersistentMapping "0"

After that I can play with the advanced graphics settings.  I'd like to turn on anti-ailiasing, but it tanks my FPS.  The only other option that seems to make a visible difference for me is soft shadows, so I do like to turn those up, and normally it has no impact on FPS.

Or shit... the Linux :D

Can you get TDM run in a maximized window?

How do you monitor CPU/GPU load, VRAM usage?

What is your TDM's com_smp setting?

What is the benchmark scene in Painter's Wife you struggle with? (getviewpos)

1 hour ago, duzenko said:

Or shit... the Linux :D

Can you get TDM run in a maximized window?

How do you monitor CPU/GPU load, VRAM usage?

What is your TDM's com_smp setting?

What is the benchmark scene in Painter's Wife you struggle with? (getviewpos)

• Sorry about that.  Works for me :D
  • I though `seta r_fullscreen "2"` was doing the maximised window thing, but I can try setting this to 0 and see what difference it makes.
  • No idea how to do these monitoring tasks, to be honest!  I can use `top` for cpu monitoring, no idea about VRAM.
  • com_smp is set to "1"
  • Pretty well anywhere in the game will cause trouble, to be honest!  Happens most often when looking at closed windows and walls, curiously enough.  I can hunt out a specific scene and configuration, but I guess the best thing is for you to recommend a starting config setup?

5 hours ago, Araneidae said:
  • I though `seta r_fullscreen "2"` was doing the maximised window thing, but I can try setting this to 0 and see what difference it makes.

I mean a setup like the attached

No idea how to do these monitoring tasks, to be honest!  I can use `top` for cpu monitoring, no idea about VRAM.

You will need to find a tool to do that. I can't recommend anything but on Windows I use afterburner

Capture.JPG