The Dark Mod Forums

Dark Mod 2.09 Will Not Run

I forgot to mention, some Intel GPU's don't quite like the new persistent mapping feature.

You can try "r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0"

Also, shadow maps have even better performance with:

r_shadowMapSinglePass 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Dragofer Just wanted to let you know that your suggestion solved it and load times are significantly improved. Thanks again

@nbohr1more I didn't see much difference with r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0 but I'll keep it on just in case. Either way everyone's help here made a huge improvement and I appreciate it. It sucks that this laptop, like many, have soldered RAM which is probably a huge reason 550MB missions like TPW don't want to play nice when others do. 

• Like 2

@johlkien
Good to hear that your integrated GPU also benefited massively from that cvar when it comes to loading times.

What you could also try is the 140 MB version of The Painter's Wife (aka v1.2, not official yet). It should be almost exactly the same content, just that the archive has been cleaned up and what's left has been compressed or fixed by taking advantage of some recent DarkRadiant fixes.

Loading times are probably a bit longer because of the extra compression, but maybe the FM performs better because in some regards there's less to hold in memory. You'd have to make a new save, though.

1 minute ago, johlkien said:

@DragoferI appreciate that. I tried it but on both 2.08 and 2.09 but it hangs and crashes when I try to load it. 

Just to be sure, are you trying to load an old savegame with the new FM files? And how far does the loading bar get?

On 2/24/2021 at 11:11 PM, Dragofer said:

you could also try is the 140 MB version of The Painter's Wife (aka v1.2, not official yet).

Just tried loading that, and it's looking promising for me.  One odd thing: when I started the map I briefly had the following message (or something like it) at the top of my screen:

WARNING: AAS_RAT OUT OF DATE

No idea what this means!

Edit: Maybe I misremembered the string: ran it again and got

WARNING: AAS32 IS OUT OF DATE

Edited by Araneidae
RAT?
On 2/23/2021 at 9:36 PM, nbohr1more said:

I forgot to mention, some Intel GPU's don't quite like the new persistent mapping feature.

You can try "r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 0"

Also, shadow maps have even better performance with:

r_shadowMapSinglePass 1

Darn it, that "0" was a typo!

I keep forgetting that you need to set both:

r_gpuBufferNonpersistentUpdateMode 1

r_usePersistentMapping 0

to make this work.

(Wiki updated)

• Thanks 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Dragofer, I think there might be something wrong with the unofficial Painter's Wife you linked above.  I found a reference to the "AAS32 OUT OF DATE" here:

and it appears that this is something to do with AI pathing ... and I have indeed noticed a guard walking in circles near the start (descend to the street, go left to the end of the cul-de-sac past the gate, and there he is).