The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 2.09: black menu with music playing

stgatilov

Same problem (black screen on v2.09), same solution (setting r_glCoreProfile "0"). System specs:

Spoiler

Processor, RAM, video card, OS:

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Windows 7

Edited by Area
clarity
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, duzenko said:

@stgatilovcorrect me if I'm wrong, but isn't r_glCoreProfile 2 resulting in FCC?

Yes.

I'm still confused about these technicalities. What context do we get with r_glCoreProfile 1 and does it also fail with the dumb radeon 6000 drivers?

Well, it was you who implemented it 😁
I guess nobody tried "r_glCoreProfile 1" yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks for the Dark Mod.

Like other user i get a black screen with audio after executing "TheDarkModx64.exe" Version TDM 2.09.

System Windows 7-64, latest updates.

Custom install TDM Version "test15973-8778" works fine, so far

Custom install TDM Version "test15973-8787" works fine, so far

Custom install TDM Version "test15973-8793" --> black screen with audio

Custom install TDM Version "test15973-8795" --> black screen with audio

Custom install TDM Version "test15973-8797" --> black screen with audio

Custom install TDM Version "test16019-8980" --> black screen with audio

Custom install TDM Version "test16019-8981" --> black screen with audio

Custom install TDM Version "test_release209_5542" --> black screen with audio

Setting r_glCoreProfile "0" in the file Darkmod.cfg is the solution that works for me!

Report with system images and log files:

Thief - The Dark Mod BlackScreenSolution

Regards

elC

Thief_-_The_Dark_Mod_BlackScreenSolution.zip

• Thanks 1

I’ll be honest, I procrastinated troubleshooting this further because I was busy and had a new PC on the way. I am happy to report 2.09 works perfect for me now and I can resume work on my map.

Thank you for your time.🙂

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

Btw, I'm running into the same problem after updating to 2.09. Tried changing all of the aforementioned CVARs, but nothing solved it. I ended up updating to one of the test builds (I think test15973-8787).

I'm on a laptop with an Intel UHD 620 and a dedicated nVidia GeForce MX150 here. Switching GPUs doesn't change anything, except that the screen is turning all white on Intel, instead of all black on nVidia.

I haven't tried wiping the entire TDM tree to see if any old assets (like glprogs) might be lying around, conflicting with the downloaded ones. I also haven't tried yet recompiling TheDarkModx64.exe, to have the glprogs copied over afresh in the post-build step.

edit: a fresh download of 2.09 is working, so it seems something in my existing darkmod/ tree is messing things up.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Jedi_Wannabe, could you please check something about this issue?

As written above, the problem depends on r_glCoreProfile cvar, which must be set in darkmod.cfg before starting TDM.
We know that "r_glCoreProfile 2" does not work for you, but "r_glCoreProfile 0" does work.

Does "r_glCoreProfile 1" work for you? Or you get black screen?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 5:26 AM, stgatilov said:

@Jedi_Wannabe, could you please check something about this issue?

As written above, the problem depends on r_glCoreProfile cvar, which must be set in darkmod.cfg before starting TDM.
We know that "r_glCoreProfile 2" does not work for you, but "r_glCoreProfile 0" does work.

Does "r_glCoreProfile 1" work for you? Or you get black screen?

On my old rig where the problem occurred: Using test8795 and changing “r_glCoreProfile” to ‘1’ does not work. Setting it to ‘0’ does, and it now loads fine.

I hope that helps you devs, I don’t use this machine anymore but I’m happy it runs now. It has been a non-issue for me since I got a new PC but hopefully this gives you meaningful data you can use :)

Thank you

Edited by Jedi_Wannabe
Typos

As my father used to say, "A grenade a day, keeps the enemy at bay!"

My one FM so far: Paying the Bills: 0 - Moving Day

The "breaking" commit is 8793, but the problem is still obscure (and at the same time quite obvious)

The exact change that triggers the bug is...  iiiis... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.. any guesses yet?

Spoiler

image.png.4b41dabada4ae10ead2a096ad50774b5.png

Any context version after 3.1 results in no render while 3.1 "just works"

We could speculate why the 3d world keeps working and only GUI is affected, but does anyone really have the time and energy to investigate this any further?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duzenko said:

The "breaking" commit is 8793, but the problem is still obscure (and at the same time quite obvious)

The exact change that triggers the bug is...  iiiis... iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis.. any guesses yet?

Reveal hidden contents

We could speculate why the 3d world keeps working and only GUI is affected, but does anyone really have the time and energy to investigate this any further?

@cabalistic it sounds like the GUI is using legacy GL somewhere?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

No, it would have failed on other drivers otherwise

It's just another example of AMD driver 'quality'

But looking back, it made sense to force core profiles during beta testing, but the release should have been compatibility.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 5:01 PM, duzenko said:

Reveal hidden contents

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

So I tried the newest beta driver for 6850 (I only tested with the WHQL the first time)

Honestly I expected the same black GUI but AMD managed to get over their assheads with that one

It just... crashes on qglGetProgramiv(... GL_LINK_STATUS ...) with the manylight shader

Thank you, AMD, for setting the eternal gold standard in shit baths driver quality reputation

20 hours ago, duzenko said:

Honestly I expected the same black GUI but AMD managed to get over their assheads with that one
It just... crashes on qglGetProgramiv(... GL_LINK_STATUS ...) with the manylight shader
Thank you, AMD, for setting the eternal gold standard in shit baths driver quality reputation

Wow, this is impressive 😁
I think crash on shader compilation is like getting internal compiler error from ordinary C++ compiler. Except that GLSL compiler is embedded, so consequences for crashing are much worse.

Luckily, the problem can be worked around by simply removing the manylight shader.
I think the black screen issue will return back to you after that 😁

By the way, do you want to go into the quest of reporting the issue to AMD? 😉
I recall I did it with the bug that texture fetches in global variable initializers didn't work, and got response like "upgrade GLSL version". At least that was response from someone from AMD, as far as I understood.
Maybe a crash will get more attention. Also, it is very easy to debug if you attach a full crash dump...

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

Luckily, the problem can be worked around by simply removing the manylight shader.
I think the black screen issue will return back to you after that 😁

If this was not crazy enough already :D

I recall I did it with the bug that texture fetches in global variable initializers didn't work, and got response like "upgrade GLSL version". At least that was response from someone from AMD, as far as I understood.
Maybe a crash will get more attention. Also, it is very easy to debug if you attach a full crash dump...

By the way, do you want to go into the quest of reporting the issue to AMD? 😉

Matter of fact I already reported a different driver bug some time in 2013. The support was as frustrating as the original driver "experience". It felt like they actually don't want bug reports at all.

But then again, it's a 2011 chip, they will refuse to fix the bug just on that ground.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am having this problem as well.

Radeon HD 5500 graphics card.

I decided ti try test15973-8778 based on this:

On 2/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, id3839315 said:

I have a Radeon HD 6450 graphics card.

test15973-8778 works but test15973-8797 starts with the black screen.

It appeared to work, I now have the menu screen.