The Dark Mod Forums

2 Bugs

sohda

1. Title: Breaking Out The Fence
Description: Continues from In a Time of Need. Release your fence from the League of Seafaring Merchants.
Author:  Kyyrma
Version:  1.0
Required TDM Version: 2.01

HI , if I take the Lock Picks the game slow down to 1 fps and stays there , I downloaded the mission a second time but still the same bug. i have played without the lock picks and the error did not occur, but it would be nice to have the lock picks :)

2. Title: CoS2: A Precarious Position

Description: Chronicles of Skulduggery 2:
A Precarious Position

An old acquaintance has hired you to hit the local Watch station to seize some incriminating evidence against him.
Read "Notes" for further information.

Author: Bienie

if I open the top-left cupboard on Rawlyn desk and Enter the code (968) another small door should open where the leaver is. but the door with the leaver does not open. I started the Mission a second Time , but still the same Problem.

I use The Dark Mod 2.09 version, i watched the missions on youtube and there were no problems

at the moment I download version TDM 2.08 and Test the Missions with it,

have a nice Day :)

Edited by sohda

Regarding CoS2, it's better to ask @Bienie if this is a bug or not.

As for "Breaking Out The Fence", I think it is a map problem.

Three sets of lockpicks are spread over the map (atdm_playertools_lockpick_triangle_# and atdm_playertools_lockpick_snake_#).
When you pick any of them, hidden objective "obj15" is fullfilled, which triggers "atdm_teleport_10" entity.
This entity teleports all lockpicks to some weird place at "4296 -3954 -3".

Now it seems that some of the lockpicks collide after teleport.
As the result, atdm_playertools_lockpick_triangle_1 starts gaining velocity in insane way. When it hits 1e+19, float overflows, resulting in NaN numbers.
Due to that simple collision queries start traversing the whole map --- that's the slowdown you see.

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

Three sets of lockpicks are spread over the map (atdm_playertools_lockpick_triangle_# and atdm_playertools_lockpick_snake_#).

When you pick any of them, hidden objective "obj15" is fullfilled, which triggers "atdm_teleport_10" entity.
This entity teleports all lockpicks to some weird place at "4296 -3954 -3".

When 1 set of lockpicks is taken, the 2 other sets of lockpicks should be removed properly rather than teleporting into the blue room. Looking at the map, I think it's sufficient just to change the classname of "atdm_teleport_10" to "func_remove".

• Like 1

Generally speaking the FM often uses teleportation entities to "remove" entities by bringing somewhere where they can't be seen anymore, i.e. teleporting AIs behind a house outside of the map boundaries. It'd probably be worth for kyyrma to switch all those teleporters to func_remove, too, so that removed AIs no longer contribute to processing load.

Hi, thanks for the responge.... first I tryed TDM version 2.08 and still the same problems , but i checked Bienies page and read, the Problem with the lever behind the Door occurs only when you have selected in the Options  "open on unlock --> NO". Change the Option to YES solves the Problem. Good tip to look at Bienies Page , I could have thought of it myself xD, Thanks :)

Im not a Coder so i have no idea how to change the classname of "atdm_teleport_10" to "func_remove, xD but...

THANKS both of You for your Help and your Magic Programmer Witchcraft  :)

have a nice Day

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, sohda said:

Hi, thanks for the responge.... first I tryed TDM version 2.08 and still the same problems , but i checked Bienies page and read, the Problem with the lever behind the Door occurs only when you have selected in the Options  "open on unlock --> NO". Change the Option to YES solves the Problem. Good tip to look at Bienies Page , I could have thought of it myself xD, Thanks :)

Oh yeah, this little game-breaking switch! 🤬

We discussed recently if we should remove it in order to make FMs must stable, but the team decided to leave it. I guess someone have to fix the FM then...

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

We discussed recently if we should remove it in order to make FMs must stable, but the team decided to leave it. I guess someone have to fix the FM then...

Yeah this on my to-do list. I have a similar setup in CoS3 that works with "open on unlock" set to no, so I will just make a similar setup in CoS2. I just want to make sure I address any other problems the mission has at the same time so I will have to look through some old notes.

My Fan Missions:

Series:                                                                           Standalone:

Chronicles of Skulduggery 0: To Catch a Thief                     The Night of Reluctant Benefaction

Chronicles of Skulduggery 1: Pearls and Swine                    Langhorne Lodge

Chronicles of Skulduggery 2: A Precarious Position              

Chronicles of Skulduggery 3: Sacricide

2 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Please don't remove that setting.  Having a door just open automatically on unlock is really immersion breaking (well, for me at least).

20 hours ago, sohda said:

Im not a Coder so i have no idea how to change the classname of "atdm_teleport_10" to "func_remove, xD but...

THANKS both of You for your Help and your Magic Programmer Witchcraft  :) 

You don't need to be a coder for that. You can just open the .script-file with the same name as the mission and search for atdm_teleport_10 and replace it. However, apparently there are several instances of this in the script, so you would need to know which one you need. Most likely there is something containing "lockpick" near it, but I don't have the mission downloaded right now, so I cannot really tell. If you don't want to mess with the script, you can just wait fpr kyyrma (or one of the others) to fix it.

21 hours ago, Dragofer said:

Generally speaking the FM often uses teleportation entities to "remove" entities by bringing somewhere where they can't be seen anymore, i.e. teleporting AIs behind a house outside of the map boundaries. It'd probably be worth for kyyrma to switch all those teleporters to func_remove, too, so that removed AIs no longer contribute to processing load.

If the AI should appear again later on, a teleport is simpler than removing and creating the AI. Same goes for the lockpicks. I have not played the mission, so I don't know if this is the case. If it is not the case, I agree that removing would be better.

@Destined

Hi, thanks for the explanation... i already searched yesterday every file for "atdm" (atdm_teleport_10) that i could open with notepad++. On your recommendation i looked today only the ".script" file, there is only one "goneinsmoke.script" and it doesn't contain any "atdm_teleport_10" text. further i also searched for "teleport" "lock" "pick" but without success. so i thought the code is even deeper, that's why i wrote "i'm not a coder..". to be sure i searched the folder i extracted with 7zip from the ".pk4" for ".script", with the same result that there is only one ". script" file, which as i said before does not contain "atdm_teleport_10", but thanks for your help.

have a nice Day :)

@sohda@DestinedWhat I meant was to open the .map in notepad, find the entity with "name" "atdm_teleport_10" and change its "classname" from "atdm:teleport" to "func_remove" so that the entity performs a removal instead of a teleportation when triggered. There's no need to change the scripting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, Dragofer said:

@kyyrma did not respond.

@Dragofer, could you please fix the FM?
Preferably in DM-less way (or even DR-less)...

Done here https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/16091-fan-mission-breaking-out-the-fence-17032014-by-kyyrma/&do=findComment&comment=457768

I've only changed the entity that removes the lockpicks, I could not at all say for sure whether it was also safe to permanently delete the AIs. It appears they are sometimes teleported (back in?) to locations in the playable map area.

• Like 1