The Dark Mod Forums

Resolution settings are not saving?

Wallace

Unless you are using Windowed mode, TDM locks its resolution to the native resolution of your desktop.

If you want to reduce resolution for better performance, try adjust Render Scale slider instead.
E.g. setting it to 0.5 would result in internal rendering resolution 960 x 540, i.e. 4x less pixels to render.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, Wallace said:

So is it possible to unlock the fixed resolution from within the game files? I would much prefer more lower res.

Yes it is not what we are used to, it breaks our old mental model of how resolutions work but do what stgatilov said, lower the rendering scale in the menu to 0.5 and it will do the same thing, even thou the final image is 1080p the GPU is only rendering a 540p image and upscaling it, so better performance and worse image quality but that would be true, even in the old lowering resolution situation, unless you are using a CRT Monitor, on most LCD screens that have a fixed resolution, anything lower than native rez looks blurry has hell, that is the case with my old 3D LCD monitor.

38 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

No, you cannot.

stgatilov I know this will increase coding complexity and work but couldn't you guys do that automatically in the background, when the user brings the rez down in the menu? IMO it would totally eliminate this complains.

So I would remove the resolution scale from the menu to minimize confusion, keep the "old school" resolution option but when the user is messing with the rez they are in reality messing with the rendering scale, the rez label is just a front to hide the truth  but to the final user the visual effect should be the same, what do you think?

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 5:42 PM, stgatilov said:

Unless you are using Windowed mode, TDM locks its resolution to the native resolution of your desktop.

My experience is different, at least under Linux (what I use). What I also see is that a lot of resolutions don't work properly. With lower resolutions part of the menu is out of view.

1 hour ago, HMart said:

So I would remove the resolution scale from the menu to minimize confusion, keep the "old school" resolution option but when the user is messing with the rez they are in reality messing with the rendering scale, the rez label is just a front to hide the truth  but to the final user the visual effect should be the same, what do you think?

I think it is good/better to place a label next to resolution change which says to only use it in windowed mode. Another option would be to grey out the resolution change option when fullscreen mode = yes.